HELP...with post op 5 years out issues...wt gain pain

laineer
on 6/15/07 3:26 am - Fort Worth, TX
I have been to 4 docs now in Tx and New Orleans and all of them say there is no problem detected from egds. A colonoscopy found polyps but benign.. I started having pain in June 06. My surgery was open rny NON transected. I now have constipation for several days followed by severe explosive diahhrea ..some that can be up to 25 times in one day. It leaves me exhausted. So far all of the docs say no problems...and I believe they just don't want to touch anyone who needs a revision. I can eat massive amounts of food at one sitting and I am hungry all of the time. For 4 years I lost 100+ lbs and managed to keep all of my weight off and couldnt eat more than 2 to 3 small bites until one night in June that I had severe doubling over pain for at least 2 hrs. I should have gone to the ER but I had just moved to another area and my surgeon was out of town and I felt like going to the ER wouldnt help unless I had a bariatric person to evaluate me. So I beared through the pain and called my original surgeon and went for a checkup in Tyler. He said nothing was wrong based on the upper gi and I didn't find out until just recently by ordering a copy of the upper gi report from the hospital that a hernia was noted on the report and my surgeon didnt even mention it. At that point I asked him if I was transected and he said NO...The way he originally explained my surgical procedure was that it would be. I was furious...I asked him why he did not transect and he just said I wasnt doing them at the time because I didnt feel it was safe...then I asked him if he transected NOW and he said yes...so that was a BIG DEAL to me. I believe that being non transected from what I have read can result in the pouch merging with the old stomach...this is what one doc told me...that little strictures can allow food to flow through. In an upper gi that I had here I saw on the camera as my stomach was pressed in with a flat paddle some fluids flowing and I wasn't sure what that meant. Again, I am not trying to self diagnose but it just doesn't seem normal what I am going through. I have had 3 egds and 2 of the docs said the pouch is slightly enlarged and there is no sld but why after the initial pains came suddenly be able to eat more. Now I have gained 40 lbs back. I threw away all of the clothes that were over a size six and now I am wearing between a 12 and 14. I feel awful. I'm hungry all of the time and it's as if I never had the surgery. I try to eat normal and I do protein shakes. Im just so tired of not knowing why I can eat much more ONLY AFTER THE INITIAL PAIN...I FEEL LIKE MY POUCH IS BROKEN.  I am really confused and angry. I continued to have several episodes of severe pain and in November of 06 began going to docs to determine the problem. I didnt want my previous surgeon to touch me again because I was so mad about the nontransection and his inability to tell me about the hernia that was noted on the upper gi report.  Who the H in Tx will touch a revision and is egd a good measure of detecting problems. Some have said I have a hernia but said it was no big deal. I am so frustrated. I know something is wrong or I wouldn't be able to eat 3 flour tortillas (that isn't something I do all of the time...I did that to test the amounts of food I was able to eat...but I shouldn't be able to if my pouch size is oK and things are normal. For 4 years I was able to maintain my size 6. Now it's not only about the size..it's about my health. The constant diahhrea and pain keeps me exhausted and dehydrated. Sometimes I have green and black bms too.  Help, I am angry with my self and the doctors, my boyfriend...who says he understands but really doesn't. Just needing some guidance...especially on types of tests that can detect adhesions or other issues. Thanks to all of you who have responded. I am posting on the Texas forum in hope of finding someone who has experienced this and also to find a good doc for revisions if necessary.
Sherry C.
on 6/16/07 6:18 pm - Plainview, TX
Hi,  Dr Wade Barker in Dallas is doing my revision on July 27. I had my stomach stapled in 1987. He has a good history of revisions. Look at his profile. Feel free to read mine. and Good luck, Sherry
                                   Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal              
        John   341/331/163/185            Sherry   345/338/201/165
        John 22 lbs below goal                   Sherry 47 lbs  till goal
 JOHN                                                               Sherry 122 inches lost

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/07 6:36 am
You poor thing. This is a horrible way to live. I don't have an answer about the weight gain, but your other symptoms add  up to IBS. You may not need a surgeon, but a gastroenterologist. You may have irritable bowel syndrome, which has the same symptoms you have. It's described as an overreactive colon, which reacts more severely to stimulation, often producing extreme diarrhea and or constipation.. The result is heightened pain sensitivity and irregular or increased GI muscle contractions resulting in pain, diarrhea, and/or constipation). These are the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome: lower abdominal pain and cramping (frequently severe, and can be to the point of losing consciousness), in association with diarrhea (often sudden and explosive), and/or constipation (often chronic), gas, and bloating. Surgeons may not be familiar/knowledgeable about  IBS. A first step is to eliminate all milk products from  your diet and see if you have lactose intolerance (common after WLS). The following is from the Internet, but it lists the tests that should be done for someone with symptoms like you. DEMAND these tests from your internist or family doc.  complete blood count; sedimentation rate; chemistries; stool for ova, parasites, and blood; colonoscopy if older than 50 years; gynecological exam with CA-125 blood test for women. In patients with diarrhea-predominant symptoms, a small bowel radiograph to rule out Crohn's disease, or lactose/dextrose H2 breath test. For patients with pain as the predominant symptom, a plain abdominal radiograph during an acute episode to exclude bowel obstruction and other abdominal pathology. For patients with indigestion, nausea, and bloating, an abdominal ultrasound to rule out gallstones. Good luck to you.
Most Active