Seasoned Revisioners

B P
on 6/14/07 8:45 am, edited 6/14/07 1:01 pm - Hollis, NY
Hello everyone... I ended up in this forum because I am in my "WHAT IF I FAIL MODE "...I am sorry for all of you who have not reached your goals or who have gained your weight back... I am about to go for my final pre-op visit and get my surgery date. I have read so many posts today about how happy everyone was after getting their revisions... My question now is are there any folks out there who have been revised longer than the inital surgery and how are you doing now???? For the most part Everyone was somewhat happy with the inital surgery until they reached a plateau or their tool stopped working for them.  How is the revision 3 years out? 4 years out? 5 or 6 years out? Inquiring minds want to know...

Take me as I am... cause that's all you're gonna get! 

Not everyone will like you; Just make sure YOU LOVE YOU!!!
Totty

263/253/179/155/135
highest/pre-op/current/surgeons goal/my goal

Proud Military Mom
on 6/14/07 2:22 pm - Reno, NV
Well I am not a seasoned revisioner, I had mine done on 6/6.. Just a couple things.. we dont all fail.. sometimes the surgery fails...  I know I didnt fail my surgery I did everything right.. I developed another hiatal hernia and while they were looking at in via a upper GI and a scope they found my orignial surgery was screwed up.. my pouch was made to big and my hernia was not repaired properly.  I did not gain 1 single pound, however I lost 100lbs and never made it near goal. So they surgeon decided to revise my by pass so I can start losing again and reach goal.   There are all kinds of reasons people seek revisions its not always about us failing...   Focus on doing it right make sure your commited to all the changes that you MUST do to be successful, this is a lifetime change, its not a quick fix, be committed and you will be fine.. so dont worry about failure concentrate on being a LOSER!!!! :) Debby

If you can't stand behind the troops... stand in front of them... PLEASE!

KRWaters
on 6/26/07 4:48 pm - Manteca, CA

Hi Debby, I wish you can say that to the Cali board, "we don't fail...sometimes the surgery fails". I started a war on the Cali board by telling them I was considering a revision to a DS. They came at me with all sorts of inappropriate statements, that I needed my head examined, that I did't know what I was doing, how could I even consider that, that I failed, my pouch didn't fail, etc, etc. Several told me that the "RnY doesn't fail us, i failed to do what I was suppsed to do". So now I took myself away from that board and that was where I was spending a good part of my time, but now I seek solace and support elsewhere. I thank you for stating that "sometimes the surgery fails". My best to you.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Proud Military Mom
on 6/26/07 11:24 pm - Reno, NV
I can't tell you how much that bothers me...  Well until someone has walked in our shoes they dont understand I guess...  I'm sorry for what you went through and I will stop there because I will get even angrier... I want to invite you to come to the Family and Friends board... I use to go to the singles board but I did the unthinkable ....  I got married.. now I am an outcast... so a bunch of us moved over here.. the folks here are great and very  supportive... they didnt even damn me when I had my revision... http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/family_and_friends_support / Come see us.. I will post a welcome my friend post :)

B P
on 6/14/07 11:53 pm - Hollis, NY
Ok maybe I shouldnt have put the word "fail" in my post.  It seems to throw people into a defense mode.  The "WHAT IF I FAIL MODE" is my personal feeling.  Since I have been a member on this site (and thats been a long time) I've noticed that its normal to feel this way in the begining.  I never said that anyone who gets a revision is a failure.(please read post again) My question more simply put is: For those of you who have been revised for a few years now, are you now happy with your newest tool?? I'm not anticipating my future tool failing I'm just looking at EVERY possible angle on this surgery thing. Part of the research is to see the negative remarks as well...

Take me as I am... cause that's all you're gonna get! 

Not everyone will like you; Just make sure YOU LOVE YOU!!!
Totty

263/253/179/155/135
highest/pre-op/current/surgeons goal/my goal

Proud Military Mom
on 6/15/07 3:02 pm - Reno, NV

Sorry I did mean to sound defensive.. I just wanted to let you know before you feel like one find out what is causing the issue..   I know what you mean.. we put  ourselves through this and if it doesnt work.. then what????  Yep I thought that way too before I had my surgery... then it happened.. 

My only point was before we feel like failures.. there might be a reason..

Good luck with your surgery... Make sure you are mentally ready because a lot of folks aren't prepared for the food changes...  Debby

Nunyo B.
on 6/16/07 12:27 am
I'm still waiting on a date for my revision surgery (I had the SRVG back in '97 and I'm now going for the DS) so I can't really say anything to this, but so far, in my 2 years of research, the ONLY surgery, initial or revision, that seems to live up to what it is supposed to do and has no one looking for a revision to something else, is the DS.  And I've never heard of anyone failing the DS.
SFCynthia
on 6/18/07 7:39 am - San Francisco, CA
I have regained 50 of my 160 pounds lost after my DS.  My stomach can easily hold 12-16 ounces in one sitting. I am thinking about a revision on my DS stomach only.  I just want it to be smaller. I was 328 at the time of my surgery.  And now I am back up to 220.
Cheryl J.
on 6/21/07 4:24 am
Wow, I guess the DS is not foolproof after all. And please dont take what I said the wrong way.  The reality is that none of these WLS are foolproof.  They are all just a tool to make weight loss easier.  It is a daily life struggle to keep your weight down.  I have learned the hard way, by gaining back some of my weight. I took my gastric bypass for granted.  Im just speaking for myself, and no one else.  My doctor told me it was a tool, but the weight just kept on coming off.  I was able to eat whatever, and I still lost weight.  It didn't dawn on me, until I was gaining and my "tool" wasn't working so hot.  I am thankful that I have been given a second chance at this.  This time I will be more diligent and seek support.  I realize now that weight loss is a lifelong committment. 
Evie
on 6/21/07 10:43 pm - Arnprior, Canada
"They are all just a tool to make weight loss easier. "  Certainlly not any easier!! I think surgery is the hardest way to lose weight!  You are literally taking your life into your own hands when you get on that operating table.  I hear on this board (and others) often that this surgery makes weightloss easier.  Not true...it is very hard.  It changes your whole life style and behaviours. I agree that you should seek councelling.  That is very important when going for a revision of your original wlsurgery.  For me, I am seeking my councelling BEFORE I go under the knife again.  This surgery is just a tool.  The hard work is working on your inner self.   Just my humble opinion... all the best to you all! Eve
Most Active