5 weeks out...looking for some encouragement

CAM
on 6/12/07 8:24 am - Houston area, TX

I am feeling a lil' frustrated.  I am 5 weeks out.  According to my scale and calculations, I have lost 27 pounds.  Good, right?  The thing is, I am not feeling it in my clothes.  I guess I still have some swelling, etc......I am not sure.  So, is 27 pounds average?  Am I on the right track?  I guess I just need a lil' support and encouragement.  Anything is welcome.

Thank you so much!!!

299 start/235 current/180 doc goal/165 my goal

Cheryl J.
on 6/12/07 10:16 am
Thats very good! Shoot..I wish I can drop 27lbs right about now.  What revision procedure did you have? And what did you have before? Cheryl
Proud Military Mom
on 6/12/07 11:32 am - Reno, NV
Now of course all surgeons say something different but I was told right off the bat do not expect to lose weight as fast as I did when I had my original surgery. I personally think 27lbs is excellent!!! Keep up the fantastic work!!! Debby

If you can't stand behind the troops... stand in front of them... PLEASE!

CAM
on 6/12/07 11:54 am - Houston area, TX

Thank you, ladies!!

I had a revision from the LAP band to the RNY.  I had the band done in January of 2005.....I lost about 100 or so pounds and then had some issues, had it "un-filled", and gained about 30 pounds.  I decided I wanted to go the RNY route.

299 start/235 current/180 doc goal/165 my goal

Catherine F.
on 7/31/07 8:00 am - Greendale, WI
Hi Carey, I'm fairly new to the website and another member told me to look you up because you had a lap band revision to an RNY.  (Please read my story and you might understand why I'm interested in talking with someone who decided to go the route you did) I too had the band in 2005, lost 65-70 lbs, and then the problems started. I had 3 slips from the band w/3 surgeries to correct each slip. The gallbladder taken out. Several x-rays and GI's to check the esophagus and band issues.  After the 3rd slip I decided, that's it!! Enough is enough. I had it removed on June 28th of this year. I've had an incision site that broke open and got infected. Am I depressing you at this point???? So sorry. During my visit with the Dr before the removal of the band I asked the Dr if he could do a RNY after removing it.  It depended on just how things looked inside, but he questioned me as to why I even thought I'd want to do that.  You see, he's not so crazy about doing a revision because he accepted a patient (not his own) whose band totally eroded into her stomach.  Supposedly it was a nightmare. She's a real trainwreck inside.  Well, wouldn't you know it my appointment with him co-incided with the surgery this lady had to have the band removed.  Perfect Timing Right! On the day of the surgery I find out the Insurance wouldn't cover the RNY because they needed more documentation before approval.  Afterward, the Dr told me that it was a good thing because there is so much scar tissue from the previous surgeries that I MUST HEAL FOR 6 MONTHS before considering a revision.  Ok, no problem. Now I'm left with 6 months of thinking and wondering which revision would be a good choice, and everytime I seem to end up going to the RNY side.  I've got a good 90 lbs that I still want to lose to be ideal weight, so the Duodenal Switch is not in the plan. After all that, (you're probably wondering, when will this ever end) I'd like to hear from a fellow bander just what made you decide to go for the RNY. Have you had it done already? What happened during and after the surgery?  Any regrets? I so would like to hear your thoughts on this. Please write me and let me know if you would like to be included in my friend list as well.  I would enjoy hearing from you and comparing notes and stories. Thanks a bunch

angel.gif angel image by tjonesssAngel Collector
                    Cathy

basjasper
on 6/13/07 12:20 pm - Sydney
You're doing really well. Congratulations.

Your story sounds just like mine. I was banded in Nov 2004 and had my revision the day after you. Like you I originally lost 100lbs with the band, had issues with reflux and restriction then over a year I regained 47lbs.

I was warned that it wouldn't be as fast as RNY with no prior wls.

Since surgery I've lost 19lbs. Yes my weight loss is slow and its so hard not to get discouraged. I just have to keep reminding myself that it is going down! Which is more than it was in the last year I had my band.

I also remind myself that I didn't get to my original 330lbs in 6 months, so can't expect to lose it all in 6 months. I am content to lose 2lbs a week, which is a healthy rate of weight loss.

Keep up the great work and remember a loss is a loss. Anything is better than gaining.

Kisses Rochelle
Most Active