Revision "What" Maybe this is what I should concentrate on

ssdulany
on 6/11/07 4:19 am - Fort Worth, TX

I had the gastric bypass in April 2002.  I did GREAT until October 2004.  My father was diagnosed with cancer and passes away August 11, 2005.  I went to hell in a hand basket.  I became very depressed and started drinking.  I am doing much better now, but have managed to put 70lbs back on and am not feeling too well about that.  My BMI is 41.3 or something close to that.  I use to feel like I could walk on water when I had lost all that weight.  I want to get back to that person.  Is the rout to go?  Can you have a revision with Gastric Bypass?  Can you stretch your stomach back?   (I was told you couldn’t, but they know more today than they did 5 years ago.  Thanks for your feedback.  

Sharon DuLany
Fort Worth, TX
hotwheel-queen
on 6/11/07 6:05 am
hi, i am sorry for what you have been going through i know the stress of losing your father i lost mine to cancer one week before my 1st child was born.   as for the rny reversal, i just went on thursday to the surgeon, (i was hoping for a quick easy fix of my pouch) they did an uppper gi to measure the pouch mine is 4x2.5 cm and the stoma is ok?? I was told that at 4+ years out this is a good size, i was told that to do a reversal is very complicated, with high risks, and if you had it done open(like i did) you would have to have it done open the same way, no lap. there would be to much scar tissue and damage to the other organs could occure, also the only thing my dr would do is a lap ban, wich i dont think this is the way i want to go, i have been very blessed to have had no complications except 20lb weight gain wich i know why.. so as the dr. recommended it is off to the gym more and watching what i eat and drink.  i was told we can out eat our pouch and stretch it that is why i had the upper gi, i was also told it is a mucle and it could also shrink a little??  I was very sad with the info i was given, but with prayer and a greatful heart that i have yet to gain it all back, i am now ok and have decided on doing my part to lose this extra weight, (i know each dr. is different  as i have been reading on this message board for 6 months, so check with your dr. or a good recommended one you trust for the answers your looking for)   I think your first thing should be an upper gi and go from there. good luck to you and i wish you the best in what ever you decide to do.    
Nunyo B.
on 6/11/07 6:58 am
Hi Sharon, Revisions are very common for a variety of reasons.  Perhaps your first step should be to contact your original surgeon if possible, or make an appointment with a new one and get a "check up" to see if you have any type of mechanical failure.  If a revision is feasible for you, then do your research on all the different WLS out there now.  Have you thought about which surgery you would like to get?  I have just been approved for the Duodenal Switch and if you care to visit the DS forum you will find a lot of really nice people there who have had revisions from the Roux to the DS.  I myself had SRVG back in 1997 and just received insurance approval for a revision to the DS.   My last piece of advice is if you decide to go for a revision, please make sure the surgeon you choose is experienced in revisions as they are not as cut and dried as an initial procedure. Take care and good luck.  Hope to see you on the DS board!
mmyers2548
on 6/14/07 8:08 am - Richmond, VA
I had my Gastric bypass back in 1995. I had the open "Y" surgery. I need to know what options might be available for me to have a revision. With the original surgery I lost about 160 lbs. Since Having my right knee replaced in 2004 I have gained back 125lbs. and I have tried everything to get it off with no luck. Can anyone suggest a good choice. I have Aetna ins. and they require a 6 month diet plan supervised by my PCP. This means that it will be after Jan 1 before I can do anything.  Please help
Nunyo B.
on 6/16/07 12:30 am
Hi ssdulany.  Try the Duodenal Switch forum.  You will find a lot of Roux N Yer's there who have had revision to the DS and have had great success!
Most Active