delete

(deactivated member)
on 6/7/07 12:23 am, edited 7/3/08 5:02 am

KRWaters
on 6/7/07 1:05 am - Manteca, CA

You have several options. First did your doc do a scope (endoscopy)?  If he won't do it, go to a GI (gastrointestinal) doc. Inquire about sclerotherapy, something they put on the stoma to shrink it back.  There are a couple of other procedures that could be done (Rose procedure, stomaphyx). I think all of these involve shrinking the stoma.  Have you gained weight? If you have gained weight and other problems still like diabetes, which came back for me, or other co-morbidities, there is the possibility you could get a revision, have a lapband or a DS on top of what you have (I don't know if you had RNY like me).  So check out these options. I wish you luck. If you want, write me again and I can try and tell you more.

Karen

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Karen H.
on 6/7/07 1:43 am
Hi Karen, My name is Karen also. I had the RNY but have gained all my weight back. What revision did you have? The Lapband or the DS and how are you doing? Are you losing? Karen

..."Let Us Love The World To Peace"...

KRWaters
on 6/7/07 3:14 pm - Manteca, CA

Hi Karen, I have not had a revision yet, but am looking into the DS. My surgeon already told me he would do a lapband on me, but I am thinking the DS sounds more what I want.  I have not had the stoma shrunk yet either. I am still checking into that.

Karen

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

Karen H.
on 6/8/07 12:21 am
Karen, Please keep in touch with me and let me know what you do. I'm like you, which would be the best way to go. I want something done that is less invasive as the RNY. Why didn't they let us know about the RNY? I think they should do the 2nd procedure for FREE>>>lol
KRWaters
on 6/8/07 12:56 am - Manteca, CA

Karen, I like your way of thinkiing, yeah do it for free, ha ha. Well the DS is more risky I understand cuz you can have more malabsorption than the RNY.  I understand though if you always and I mean ALWAYS take your vitamins and keep on top of your labs, you would do just fine. I am always compliant with my vits so I do not plan to have malabsorption of vitamins be a problem.  I also understand that with the DS there is a better weight loss.  Lapband is less invasive, but you don't necessarily lose as much weight.  Read up on the "DS" board.  I have been hanging out there and the "revision" board and the "weight gain" board.

Karen

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out

deeno
on 6/7/07 1:40 am - Kokomo, IN

I'm under the impression that they can not tell you that your stoma has been stretched unless they do a scope--they can only speculate. Don't be so hard on yourself.  Maybe the doc made it too big to begin with.  I had issues with not feeling full almost immediately after my RNY, and I KNOW I didn't push the limits to make my stoma stretch.  Do I blame my surgeon?  Heck no--medicine is an art and a science, plus the body is unpredictable.  Sometimes what happens is just the way it is. I had my stoma resized ~2 + weeks ago, and boy oh boy do I know what full feels like.  I'm struggling to eat now--in a good way, just like I had expected so far.  I was personally relieved when I had my endoscopy to hear that my stoma was too big, and I stopped blaming my own "failure" immediately.

Hang in there, and good luck.

Cheryl J.
on 6/10/07 6:56 am
How are you doing deeno?  How much have you lost so far? I have my 1st sclerotherapy appt. this Thursday to do the barrium swallow test and meet with the nutritionist.  I am feeling so depressed about my weight gain.  I wish I can have the treatment done like yesterday.\ Cheryl
Susanna M.
on 6/10/07 9:15 am - Houston, TX
Hi Cheryl, Wanted to ask you where are you going to have your procedure done, and when you called to find out if they did it what did you tell them. I'm having a very hard time finding some one here in houston texas that knows what i am talking about better yet that does this procedure. And if you dont mind me asking how much are they charging you. Any information that you might have will be very help full. I had my surgery 3 years ago i never made it to my goal and know i'm gaining and i'm so depressed.  Thanks Susie
Cheryl J.
on 6/11/07 1:02 am
Hi Susie, I am going to New York Presbyterian haospital in Manhattan, New York.  The information is on my other post on the revision board, with all of the different Doctors that are doing either the sclerotherapy, endoscopic plication, or the Stomaphyx. Insurance covers the 1st treatment for the sclerotherapy, there is no guarantee they will cover 2nd & 3rd treatment. I guess it depends on the insurance company.  I believe insurance covers the endoscopic plication also.  I have not heard of any doctors doing these studies/procedures in texas yet.  It is all very new to the U.S. unfortunately. I bet you a million dollars within the next 2yrs more doctors will be performing one of these procedures.  Unfortunately, the insurance companies will become aware and they will add some sort of stipluation for them to pay for it. Right now the insurance companies don't know too much about it. I know what you mean about feeling depressed. I went shopping yesterday and everything I bought does not fit. I am so used to buying a size 9/10.  I have to lose this weight I gained. I refuse to take the clothes back and get a bigger size.  I am leaning towards getting the Stomaphyx procedure, from my research on it, it last longer than the other procedures.
Most Active