Revision for 1980 Gastric Stapling

BBoop
on 5/29/07 12:22 pm
Has anybody had or know of an individual who has had an RNY after having a old gastric stapling procedure that was done years ago? I'm reading posts here as fast as I can but most seem to relate to more recent WLS and not the old procedure that was done rather unsuccessfully years ago. Currenlty, I'm waiting for Medicare to certify the two major hospitals in Austin for bariatric surgery.  In the meantime, I'm researching the possiblity of WLS after the old gastic stapling. Thanks, Betty
Sherry C.
on 5/29/07 8:08 pm - Plainview, TX
Read my story. I got a date for surgery yesterday, July 27. My doc has already done my EGD and he said the old stapling I had done in Lubbock in 1987 had something like a 60-70 % fail rate because of the way it was done back then. Anyway, make sure you go to  a Dr w/revision exp. Good luck. Sherry
                                   Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal              
        John   341/331/163/185            Sherry   345/338/201/165
        John 22 lbs below goal                   Sherry 47 lbs  till goal
 JOHN                                                               Sherry 122 inches lost

BBoop
on 5/30/07 11:10 am
Thanks, I read your story and it is so encouraging to  hear it can be done.  I haven't had my first visit yet, I have to go to a seminar and then make an appointment. It is so good to know taht it can be done.  I was afraid they would want to do something horrible to revise me but what your doc said makes sense to me. Thanks again, Betty
Deb *.
on 6/1/07 2:47 am
Hey Betty!  I had a VBG done 15 years ago and just recently had it revised to RNY (in March).  Originally I was 369 when I had my VBG, got down to around 250 and stayed there for about 5 years.  Over the next 10 years I got up to 514, and found out in Jan that part of the reason is that the staple line in my VBG failed and opened into my stomach. My RNY revision took about 4 hrs (as revisions are always more complicated), and I was in the hospital for about 4 days.  They did my surgery laproscopically and I was able to return to work 2 weeks later.  I'm a little over 2 months post-op now and have lost a total of 88.5 lbs (33 before surgery, 55.5 since surgery). Good luck!   Debbi

BBoop
on 6/1/07 2:30 pm
Debbie: All I can say is you go!  Your progress is amazing.  I am now exploring the DS.  As I said I'm new to all of this but I'm finding that revisions are possible with the old gastric stapling and now I have to find a DS surgeon in my area.  I live in Austin and can't find a DS surgeon.  Lots of RNY and Revision surgeons.  I want to explore everything before I take the plunge. Thanks again and reading your post has been a real help to me. B
RIN
on 6/5/07 2:30 am
I am having a revison of an old VBG to RNY on July 3.  My staple line hasn't failed, but the band has caused me considerable problems.  I reached goal about 9 months after my original VBG, but over the years it became more difficult to eat healthy foods.  They get stuck and it feels like I have swallowed a baseball that is stuck in my esophogus.  If I am lucky, I can vomit it up right away.  If not, I have to wait  hours for it to either come up or go down.  There have been times when I have had food stuck for several days.  The easiest things to eat are of course, foods that are creamy and fattening.  As a result, I have gained back all of the weight I originally lost, and I weigh exactly the same as I did before the VBG.  I originally sought a reversal of  the VBG, but the surgeon thinks I will gain 50 pounds without the conversion, due to my carbohydrate habit.   I am counting down the days to my surgery. There is another person here besides Debbi *****cently had a revison from VBG to RNY and she is doing great.  Lynn
BBoop
on 6/5/07 1:08 pm
Was there any particular reason you are going from a VBG to a RNY instead of a DS?  I'm exploring the DS since I have to take steroids for COPD/asthma and I don't want ulcers.  It also seems the DS have fewer side effects and are happier with the ability to eat some and with the caveat that they adhere to a rigirous vitamin and supplement plan. I'm still exploring, hence all my questions.   I wish you the best on July 2, I hope I'm not far behind you in my WLS.  Keep us posted on your progress. Betty
RIN
on 6/6/07 1:05 pm
My surgeon's  surgery of choice is the RNY. He has a very good reputation and I feel that he is competent.   I have a patient information book from his office that talks a little about the DS, and it says that experience and long terms results are limited in this country. I suppose that most surgeons make one or another operation their specialty and as long as you do your research of both the surgeon and the procedure you will have a good outcome.  Both surgeries are mal-absorptive and may require long-term vitamin suplimentation.  It's not easy to make a life altering decision, expecially when a previous surgery has failed you.  I have episodes of cold feet, but I know I can't go on living this way either.  Best wishes on your research and decision. Blessings, Lynn
BBoop
on 6/6/07 2:22 pm
I wish you the best.  Are you scheduled yet?  So far I haven't had cold feet just multiple frustrations over finding a DS surgeon without going across country.  At one point today I said to myself, "Maybe I'm not supposed to have the DS."  Heck I don't know. I'll just keep researching and eventually I'll find what is right for me.  I just don't know if I can live the rest of my life with an RNY.  The fears of dumping and getting things stuck truly frightens me.  I realize learning the foods that one's pouch will take is trial and error and I'm not sure how well I would deal with that. Good luck please post so we will know how things are progressing for youi. Betty
Theresa A.
on 6/10/07 4:01 am - Madera, CA
Hi, I had gastric stapling back in 1987, by Dr. Mathias Fobi in Ca.  My weight at the time was 2871bs.  I went down to 205, took about a year.  I started gaining weight about 2 years after sugery, had revision, RNY in 1996 my physician was Dr. Leo Murphy in Ca., at that time I was 320lb.  (Both are Great Drs).  Took me about 2 years to lose 120lbs.  I struggled to keep the weight off.  In 2000 , I started having pains and loud gurggling in my stomach but I never thought it could be a problem with the second surgery.  Now I'm looking into having 2nd revision as I have regained most of the weight back.  I'm now 250lbs.  I still don't eat much but I can tolarate soft carbs moreso than I can salads, fruits, etc. which causes weight gain noless.  I am in search of a physician that will consider 3rd surgery. I hope you will be much more successful with your surgery than I was. God Bless
Most Active