I HATE MY BAND!!!

GrannyLaLa
on 6/3/07 9:25 am - South,, AR
I don't know.  Might be that you need to have your stomach reattached and then cut into the VSG.  Dr. Curry at the top of Lapband forum might be able to answer this question. The stomach is cut differently for the RnY and VSG.  Go to the WLS forum that you are interested in and look at the left side where it tells you about the WLS.  You'll see the difference between both. Actually the VSG is bigger than the pouch of the RnY and the VSG is the first step of the DS, which is a more 'extreme' type of malabsorptive weight loss surgery.  With the DS you have to be very very dilligent to get in your vitamins/minerals/protein/iron and get bloodword done on a regular basis.  Visit the other forums to see which one will work for you.  And don't forget to head over to the lapband forum and at the top you can post to Dr. Curry about this question.

Glitter Text

Susan G.
on 5/29/07 8:26 am - Roanoke, TX

Hi, Spotty_dotty! I am about 5 weeks out from a revision from lap band to RNY and I am doing great!!!  I actually loved my band for about 2 years.... lost a lot of weight (over 100 pounds) with ease and then all the trouble started... acid reflux  and a roller coaster ride of fills and unfills because I couldn't tolerate a fill due to the acid reflux.  At one point my band was so tight that I couldn't even keep water down. That's not healthy.   I just feel so good now.  I have energy and I feel healthy.  Its not just a lap band vs RNY thing, but I feel good because I am eating the right things, taking my vitamins, getting exercise, getting the protein and doing all the right things this time. I just have to tell you that I couldn't be happier about having my band taken out and  converting to RNY....  I've lost 30 lbs so far. 

When I started having problems with my band I ran into the samething with alot of the bandster support groups and communities. There are a few people I've kept in touch with, but for the most part they don't want to hear about people who don't love their bands or who are unhappy with being banded.  I pretty much just left all my support groups and was just on my own until I decided on RNY.   I think its unfortunate, but I do think it is the true... having experienced it myself. I am sorry that you are going through this.  You can check out my profile for information or send me a message if you want to chat about my procedure or how I am doing. Good luck. Susan

Peace and friendship with all mankind is our wisest policy and I wish that we may be permitted to pursue it.....  Thomas Jefferson
Lap Band: 09/19/02     Revision to RNY: 04/19/07

firemanjohn
on 6/3/07 3:38 am - Keno, OR
Bands are definitly difficult.  If you have the money get it taken out and get VSG.  It is the wls of the future.  All the weight loss with little or no side effects.  Choose a good surgon.  I suggest lapsf.com DR jossart or Dr chirangle..good luck
dawn_from_mn
on 7/30/07 11:20 am - St. James, MN
I hate my band too.  I was banded October 2004 and started having problems in December 2004, although I didn't know I was actually having problems.  No one seemed to believe me or be concered about me throwing up.  I have acid reflux issues and can't tolerate any fills.  I have been completely unfilled since February and still have problems throwing up when I eat.  I am working on revision surgery now and I want DS.  I have looked at all the options and DS seems to fit me best. 
Most Active