I HATE MY BAND!!!

spotty_dotty
on 5/21/07 3:00 am - Birmingham, UK
I really really really HATE my band!!! I was banded 2 yrs ago YESTERDAY and i am just 3lb lighter its been nothing but sheer hell and trauma pain discomfort and a complete barbaric and undignified two years. I find i cant speak to fellow bandsters because some of them just wont have it that the band is anything other than fantastic.  Its now been decided i am having the band out and having a RNY i really would like to make contact with fellow people who have been revised from band to RNY.  Why RNY and not DS well surgions choice BUT i know for sure i would never try the band again or i wont even consider giving this hiddious device "one more go"  I am so depressed its unreal i am 1 comment away tears right now 1lb away from self harm if i gain 4lb i will be heaver than when i had my band fitted what a waist of 4 years 4 yrs waiting and 2 yrs trying. I always had my doubts about the band but yet again it was the surgions choice not mine back then it was BAND or nothing like many i was desperate and grabbed a band living in hope.
Kim M.
on 5/21/07 6:29 am - Mansfield, MO
Hi, I haven't had my surgery yet, and I don't have a band, I'm going for the RNY, but I just wanted to lend an ear and wish you luck on the revision and say I'm sorry your feeling so down, I'm sure it's been a long awful 2 yrs not losing when you've subjected yourself to a medical procedure that is supposed to work...I worry about that all the time...like I'm gonna be the one person it won't work on because nothing ever has... anyways, look forward to the RNY and hang in there...sorry I'm not better at the great words of wisdom...just wanted to let you know I heard your frustration, and feel better. this is a feel better fairy for you. kim m. hopefully having surgery the end of june.
Patty1111
on 5/21/07 11:43 am - Sioux CIty, IA
Hi there i had a failed RNY 2yrs ago only lost 25 lbs which is back and i wanted a band revision.  Do your homework as more than one doctor what he or she is choosing for you and justify to you in normal english terms as to why.  Put them thru a dog on interview this is your life after all.  I know i am going to be more inquisitive after reading yours.  I ended up having a un noticed hernia during my RYN which hid a large portion of my stomach in my lung cage.  After the swallow test they noticed it slipped back out and pretty much left me with the same size stomach.  So i had the surgery for nothing pretty much.   I know your pain of not loosing.  Hopefully this 2nd time around will be better for both of us.  I have to pay for mine since i am now uninsured but i will make sure i thourgly explore all my options before makeing a definattive choice this time round.    Let me know how you do and best of luck to you.     Patty
Kahiah1
on 5/25/07 2:53 pm - LivingHappy, AL
You didn't have a failed RNY, if your stomach was never reduced to pouch size, you didn't have an RNY at all! Sorry to know you had surgery and the surgeon did a poor job.
Tonia Loveslife
on 5/22/07 7:03 am - Port Neches, TX
I had problems with the band also. I had it removed May11, 2006 and I have lost 100 lbs. I know how you feel and I'm sorry you have to go through this. I don't know why fellow bandsters kick  youwhen you are down. I really don't get it. It really hurts! You hang in there and stay strong. If you are looking for a doctor to do RNY do your research. Find somebody who has been doing RNY revisions for a long time. Don't use somebody that is just starting out. Good luck! Tonia

Tonia Loveslife! -115 lbs!

mish
on 5/22/07 12:08 pm - Baltimore, MD
Hi there. First off, I am really sorry you had such an awful experience with the band.  I had an awful experience with RNY.  I had RNY i***** and lost the weight, but had regain big time, awful smelling gas and foul stools, having to take gobs of expensive vitamins, etc... I had a band put over the bypass in 1/06 and I am at a lower weight than I ever got with RNY.  Now a size 6 and loving life. I hope you don't rush into cutting into your gutts without knowing the side effects.  I know because I have been there (read my profile). Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

Mish

4/94:  RNY start weight:   258 lbs.                              
 1/06:  Lap band start weight:  189 lbs. 
  6/07:  122 lbs. size 6
DeAnsin W.
on 5/23/07 8:06 am
Hello -- I love my band, but wanted to let you know that not all of us think it is the end all and be all --- it does not work for eneryone, so I am glad that their are options -- I hope that the RNY option works for you, Make sure to really ask the doc lotss of questions because as I understand it, revisions are way different than the original surgery -- so you want to make sure you have a good doc who can help you through all the post-surgery stuff. Good luck with your revision....and take care of yourself.....
DeAnsin

270/186/140ish -- highest/NOW/goal
Starting BMI: 43 / Current BMI: 29.6

ADA
on 5/27/07 5:10 am - WOODHAVEN, MI
I also hated my band !!!!!!!!!!! it was the worst decision I made and I say I because I went into the Drs office knowing ??????? exactly what I wanted and was sure it was the right decision for me ...... well I was wrong (Big of me to admit it ) and I had the RN surgery on 2/20/07 after only having the band for 8 months. This was the right decision for me I have lost 35 lbs since surgery and feel wonderful. My Dr. keeps a close eye on my progress and would like me to lose more but I am excersizing and am losing inches I have gone from a size 24 jeans to a 14  and on my way to a 12. I to find it hard to talk to band people especially since most of my support group knows I had the revision and our group is so small we meet together in one meeting, someday we will break off and have our own meetings but until then I'll have to keep my opinions to myself....... Good luck  I am proof you can do it....... Ada
GrannyLaLa
on 5/27/07 4:16 pm - South,, AR
Hello there!  So sorry about your band.  You might want to check out the VSG board, it's where your stomach is reduced in size and shaped like a banana.  Lots are having great success with it and no complications so far.  The original surgery was done on people that had stomach issues like stomach cancer or bad ulcers.  My mom had severe ulcers in the early 70's and had a very large part of her stomach removed.  She got down to goal weight (135lbs) and has been there for over 30 years now.  She had her first check up for Medicare and all her labs have come back great!  She hasn't had stritures or anything like that.  She can outdo a person 20 years younger than her! http://obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/a,messageboard/board_id,54 63/ I think why some bandsters are touchy about this is because there are a lot of people having the lapband done without much research and not going by Inamed guidelines and end up having a hard time, blaming the band.  I'M NOT SAYING THIS ABOUT Y OU, just saying why some bandsters are difficult to talk to about having the band removed. I hope you get on the right path for you to weightloss soon!

Glitter Text

kelleykeith
on 6/3/07 9:02 am - New York, NY
GrannyLaLa, Do you know if one can get a revision from RNY to VSG?  I can't find an answer to this so I wondered if you (or anyone else out there) know.  Thanks. KK
Most Active