old fashioned staple job to a DS..anybody?

ImArustyRose
on 5/6/07 1:20 pm - TX
I am thinking I am going to get the old fashioned staple job that I had revised to the DS.  Anybody else out there have this done.   Do you know how they do such a procedure?     Question Mark

ARustyRose

Paula Chapman
on 5/6/07 11:43 pm - Midvale, UT
Hi arustyRose My name is Paula.  I am getting a revision from an old stomach staple to a DS hopefully this month.  My doc said it is a very complicated surgery, and might have to be done in 2 parts.  I hope not.  I only want one surgery.  I am very excited about the surgery, but have been having trouble with the docs schedualing department.  Tell me what you have learned about this operation!  I would be very interested in who your surgeon is and what he has told you! Hugs to you Paula
ImArustyRose
on 5/26/07 6:34 am - TX

Paula,  I am thinking Dr. Husted will do the surgery but there are some problems with insurance in California.  I live in Texas.  It is all a mess with the insurance.  I wrote Dr Gagner in New York about my desire to have DS.  He said he would just do the second part of the DS. The intestinal switch part and leave the stapling in place.  I have read the the intestinal switch part will only bag a 30-40pound weight loss.  Since I am at heaviest weight now, I am not sure it would be worth it to me to have only the second part.    Dr. Husted who is the kingpin of revisions said he would do the revision to the sleeve.  That sounds more like what I will need.  If I knew more about the surgical considerations when performing these procedures I might feel more confident in my choice. I really liked Dr. Husted a lot.  And I very much respect Dr. Gagner.  I feel a little like the baby brought before Solomon

ARustyRose

Evie
on 5/19/07 1:40 pm - Arnprior, Canada
Hi ya... Ok...I am an old fashioned stomach stapling having a revision done on July 18, 2007.  My surgeon is not touching my pouch.  He will leave my VBG in tact and just do the bottom half of the DS.  (malabsorption part).  I will let you know how things go after surgery.  I am sure things will be just peachy.  I really am looking forward to my surgery and have fantastic faith in my surgeon.  I am traveling from Canada to have this surgery in New Jersey.  I must have some kind of faith in him!!! If you have any other questions, by all means....post them and i will try to help ya out if i can.  Good luck with your investigating and also making your decision to have a revision or not. TTFN! Eve
ImArustyRose
on 5/26/07 6:26 am - TX
Please Eve keep in touch.  I really do want to know how things go for you. 

ARustyRose

Nunyo B.
on 5/22/07 4:07 am
Hello.  I had a SRVG (basically the VBG) back in 8/97 and I am currently fighting with my insurance company over revision to the DS.  My insurance co. will approve the RNY but I refuse to have that procedure.  My doctor in Indiana performed my first surgery and she is going to perform the DS as well as soon as my external appeal is over with the insurance company.  (I'm confident I'll win against them.)  Anyway, I had to have an endoscopy performed to make sure my stomach was big enough to have the full-on DS, and she is confident that everything will go very smoothly.  From what I have researched and after talking with her, the VBG is one of the most common revisions right behind the LapBand.  It is definitely do-able as long as you have enough stomach.  For me I wouldn't leave my VBG in tact and just have the malabsorption part of the DS because it is designed to work as a whole.  There are reasons why the DS works so well and the removal of part of the stomach is important as it allows for quicker initial weight loss and will help in satiaty and hunger control in the long run. The best advice anyone can give is make sure your surgeon is comfortable and experienced in revisions.  Good luck!
Most Active