vsg to rny??

mandeeny
on 5/2/07 6:22 am - New York, NY
Hi everyone, I had a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy in April of 2006. I was considered a "ligthweight" (a term I'd NEVER associate with me). I was 5'7" 211 going into surgery, but I had some health complications and had lost/gained 50-80 lbs. many times in my life so my surgeon recommended the VSG. Anyway, it's been about a year and I've only lost 25 lbs and am very discouraged. I am wondering if anyone started with just the sleeve, and then moved onto the RNY with more sucess? It used to be that the RNY was done in two parts (first make pouch, then go back in for re-routing) so I just had the first part. Any thoughts? Also, please remember that while my numbers may have been lower or I may not seem like a typical candidate, I have struggled incredibly with food addiction my entire life and I wouldn't expect any less sympathy or understanding than anyone else would get. Thanks so much.
GrannyLaLa
on 5/2/07 1:50 pm - South,, AR
I hadn't heard that the VSG was first step for RnY but for the DS.  There is a DS forum on here along with the main board. You might want to visit these boards along with the VSG forum to see if anyone there can help you. 

Glitter Text

Kilaani
on 5/3/07 4:54 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I would have to agree with the other poster - the VSG is the first step in a 2 step process for the DS not the RNY.  Definitely speak with Dr. Gagner about getting the rest of the DS! I know of folks that have had stomachs remain larger, and a bit longer common channel, but it was enough to get them the rest of the way.  I have heard of many that went on to have the 2nd part of the surgery which made the difference. I can't imagine being able to keep off the weight without the benefit of malabsorption.  I malabsorb about 80% of the fat I eat, which is perfect because that's the food I struggled with the most. It is a little more difficult in your case since you are not much higher at your weight now than I am almost to my goal...so your bmi isn't that high now. Again, I would suggest talking with Dr. Gagner. Sugar is still something I have to watch, and with the DS you would need to be extremely diligent with labs and your vitamins and protein.  Good luck,  Jill  440/435/184/165 hw/sw/cw/gw  www.picturetrail.com/kilaani
~Tinacious ~
on 5/7/07 5:14 am - Modesto, CA

It sounds like you need to go see your surgeon about getting the second part and make it a full DS. It sounds like you need the further assistance the malabsorption will give you. I have heard that Dr. Gagner does a lot of DS' in two-stages, so he would be the perfect surgeon to do the second part. You should check out the DS board because I have seen several posts from Dr. Gagner's patients as to their two part DS surgeries. They will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

http://obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/board_id,535 7/ And, of course, you can always visit the VSG forum. We would love to have you there. http://obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/a,messageboard/board_id,54 63/ Good luck to you,

I wear my   on my sleeve
                                           Pre-op 359/Current 168

~~Sami~~ *.
on 6/2/07 1:19 pm, edited 6/2/07 1:41 pm - Jacksonville, FL
First of all, I want to offer you a hug.  I know back when I had my Lap-Band, not a lot of people had undergone that operation in the States... and those who had seemed to lose a lot more than I did.  I lost 50-something pounds in the first year, and I felt like a failure.  I think that the VSG must be similar... as it's pretty new as a stand alone, so you probably feel alone.  I guarantee you that within a few years, there will be others going through what you're going through.  No operation works for everybody.  And please... don't let people make you feel bad... or make yourself feel bad about it.  We've all endured that for too long with regular diets... that we're somehow to blame for not sticking to them... that if we had a little bit more willpower, etc.  It's all BS.  There was a book that just came out by the NY Times science/health reporter called "Thinking Thin" which is fabulous.  Talks all about the obesity research--what's accurate and what is spun.  And it just isn't the same for obese people... especially if you have a relative who was obese as well. Having said all that, I would talk to Dr. Gagner... as well as his nutritionist.  I don't think he'd give you any of the blame game either--I think he'd just want to find a solution for you. :)  I know that the VSG can be revised to a DS or a RNY... although the DS is the norm.  He may recommend doing just a RNY on you because of your weight.  I know that when I was looking into adding a DS portion to my Lap-Band (Dr. Gagner has done this as well), he said I could expect to drop an additional 8-10 BMI points with the DS alone.  So.. .for somebody your size (I'm assuming your BMI is around 30 right now)... that would be an awful lot.  He may have also used a larger bougie on you because of your size, and re-doing your sleeve with a smaller bougie may be an option. Talk to him/email him.  He's one of the most respected surgeons in the bariatric field. Question: Do you feel that your eating has changed at all?? Are you eating less or can you consume the same amount?? I know that with my Band, when it was super tight, I would gravitate to ice cream and such because I couldn't keep anything else down.  I did find that with my Band I could actually stick to Weigh****chers or Jenny Craig and feel satisfied.  (Never happened before :) )  Maybe that's an option before another surgery??

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active