RNY complications & revision

Jen *.
on 4/23/07 4:10 pm - Houston, TX
Hello Everyone, I dont post often, but I thought I would see if anyone else can offer similar experiences or support in my current struggles. I had my RNY in September last year and its been a roller coaster ride ever since!  My inital suregry was supposed to be laproscopic, but due to a staple-gun misfiring, they had to open me up to retrieve the staple cartrige and repair my intestines. To make matters worse, my surgeon, or surgical team I should say, left a surgical tool in my abdomen (a rubber visceral retainer aka "fish")! Of course, they didnt figure this out until one month later, when I finally became so dehydrated they decided to admit me to the hospital again. I hadnt been able to keep any food or water down for three weeks at that point, and clearly the dozens of nausea meds they kept calling in to my pharmacy weren't working... The surgical tool was removed as soon as the CT scan revealed the presence of this large rubber fish in my abdomen, and I promprtly found a new surgeon!!!  In addition, I have had three strictures (so 3 EGD repairs) over the last several months. For the last two months, I have been nauseous after EVERY meal (even liquids) despite strict compliance with my meal plan, and had bouts of severe abdominal pain which left me doubled over a few times a week. So three weeks ago, I had to have yet another surgery (laproscopic this time- thank God!) to remove adhesions from the area of the staple gun misfire which had my intestines so twisted and knotted that food/water/air had been getting caught or puched back into my old, excluded stomach.. Unfortunately, the same symptoms returned a few days after surgery- apparently adhesions can re-form very rapidly. My new surgeon is now recommending a more invasive open surgery to remove the entire section of my intestines affected by the staple-gun misfire b/c it is adhesion-prone now, and wants to do some re-routing of my intestines to make adhesions less likely to cause trouble. I do trust his judgement, but wonder if  revising my my RNY to anothe WLS is in order at this point? My weight loss has been satisfactory up to this point, it just seems like maybe the RNY isn't agreeing with my body considering ALL the issues Ive had. Im wondering if I should push for a revision to DS b/c there are less mechanical failures? I did mention that thought to him, but he quickly nixed the idea saying the pouch has been fine since january, so lets just leave well enough alone. I think he'll consider it if I really push the idea, but Im curious if anyone out there has any feedback/suggestions/advice??? Thanks in advance!!!
(deactivated member)
on 4/25/07 6:34 am - TX
If I were you, I'd send all my info to Dr. Husted, who is a leading DS revision surgeon and has taken one the most difficult cases imaginable.  If anyone knows what to do, it will be him.
mandefarmer
on 4/29/07 10:15 am - decatur, IN
Hello I agree with the other poster, you need someone who is seasoned in dealing with complications. Dr. Hustead takes the worst of the worst cases and has had great success.  I personally had mine through another sugeon but did a ton of research on Hustead. (My sugeon was trained by him and local to me)   The second thing I would be doing is finding me a lawyer to file a malpractice suit.  No surgeon should be practicing if they are making those kinds of errors.  At least you should get your bills taken care of.   Good Luck, you need some for a change Micah
Most Active