New procedure for gastric bypass patients who have not lost all their weight or are regaining

Cheryl J.
on 5/18/07 6:44 am

Great Toni, Can you ask him what the criteria is to have the procedure? I left a message with him to call me because Im in New York.  I hope Im a candidate, but Mt. Sinai already said your BMI has to be at least 40. 

FlowerDogsMom
on 5/18/07 6:53 am - Beloit, WI
Hi there - thanks for your response to  my post. I'm curious what Judy said the criteria are? I had called yesterday about setting up an appt to go over the pros/cons/etc but I was not able to get it done. Dr. Alverdy is evidently out of the office for a couple weeks, so the next appts are at the end of June. If I find out anything I'll let you know. Thanks
Cheryl J.
on 5/18/07 7:53 am
Oh okay Judy didn't know at the time because they are still in the beginning stages.  As soon as I get more info. I will post my findings. Also, there is a doctor in Boston, MA that does the same procedure. Christopher C. Thompson. 617-732-6389. I am wondering if these doctors are gastroenterologists or bariatric surgeons, or both.  I have a gastroenterologist, and he saw my pouch was intact, but I don't know about him performing any procedures on it. http://www.brighamaandwomens.org/gastroenterology/gastricbypass.aspx
FlowerDogsMom
on 5/19/07 5:41 pm - Beloit, WI

Dr. Alverdy's bio:

John C. Alverdy, MD

Professor of Surgery

Director, Center for the Surgical Treatment of Obesity

Director, Minimally Invasive Surgery

As chief of the University of Chicago Hospital's Surgical Obesity Program, Dr. John Alverdy oversees one of the most active weight loss programs in the area. He is a nationally recognized surgeon and has a vast experience in weight loss surgery--both traditional and laparoscopic.

Considered a surgical innovator, Dr. Alverdy was the first surgeon in the area to perform gastric bypass surgery and duodenal switch surgery using minimally invasive laparoscope techniques.

Dr. Alverdy is also an expert in other abdominal surgeries, including the surgical treatment of gastroesophageal reflux, hernias, colorectal diseases, and biliary tract disease.

Practice Location

Center for Advanced Medicine 5758 S. Maryland Avenue Chicago, IL 60637

Year Started Practice

Board Certifications

General Surgery Critical Care

Medical School

Autonomous University, Guadalajara Loyola University

Residency

Michael Reese Hospital, Chicago

Memberships

American Society of Parenteral-Enteral Nutrition American Surgical Association Critical Care Society Society for Surgical Alimentary Tract Society of Parenteral Alimentation Society of University Surgeons Surgical Infection Society

Languages Spoken

English Spanish Assyrian

Email

[email protected]

Office Phone

(773) 834-3524

Office Fax

(773) 834-0201

Office Postal Address

John C. Alverdy, MD University of Chicago Hospitals 5841 S. Maryland Avenue, MC 6090 Chicago, IL 60637

Cheryl J.
on 5/19/07 11:17 pm
Thanks for the info. It is interesting that his medical school is in Mexico. And how most Americans frwon on getting surgery in Mexico.
missys828
on 5/22/07 2:36 am - Tarpon Springs, FL
I searched (and searched) yesterday for the endoscopic sclerotherapy procedure and noticed that Columbia Hospital (University??) in New York also performs this procedure as an alternative to surgical revision.  I know your BMI was your concern, but their website indicated that the criteria for insurance to cover this procedure in a post-gastric bypass patient was that you had regained more than 15% of the weight you had lost.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I've regained about 37% of what I lost. I also have a call in to the center in Grand Rapids.  We have family in that area so that wouldn't be a problem for me. I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel...keep those posts coming!
Cheryl J.
on 5/22/07 3:32 am
Wow, very interesting to know. You have shed some serious light on both of our situation. I just did the calculations. And i have gained approx. 30% of the weight I have lost. I am going to inquire about this procedure with Columbia Univ.  This is a relief because it's close to home, and insurance will cover.  This may save my life!  Thank you so much for your research.
Cheryl J.
on 5/22/07 7:34 am
I called Columbia today. I have an appointment on 6/14 to speak with the Nutritionist, Nancy and to have a test done for the Dr Bessler. to see my insides.  The first step is to see their nutritionist and she will decide which study would be feasible. I was trying to diet right now, but I think Im going to cease just a litle bit. I dont want to lose too much and not be accepted for the study.  I am hoping the study will help lose me at least 50lbs. If I was 50lbs lighter, I would be only 10lbs from my ULTIMATE goal (140lbs).  They said Dr. Bessler probably wouldn't do the procedure until July.   It sounds like I might be approved for the Schlerotherapy, but not the EROS due to my low BMI. I would rather have the EROS because I feel uneasy about the liquid injection and causing scar tissue.  Also, the Dr. I had spoken with, Dr. Daub, said the Schlerotherapy is not aggressive.  The Doctor would do 2 or 3 treatments to see how the body reacts to the injection. I hope I can get approved for the EROS study. That sounds like a more agressive procedure! Anyway, with the Sclerotherapy, insurance will cover the 1st treatment, but the 2nd & 3rd treatment may not be covered. The cost for the treatment is $2,000. Another study they have is the Lap Band Study for low BMIers (<35 or 40), but basically it is a self-pay program. It's not really a "study". The cost for this is $15,000. Columbia University Obesity Center number is (212) 305-4000. Dr. Daub is the person I had spoken with. Then she transferred me to the staff to make an appt. with the Nutritionist, Nancy. And the staff informed me that I need a test (Bal.... )  Sorry forgot the term, but its like an Upper GI. She said you dont eat anything the night before. And then at the lab, they give you something to drink, take an x-ray. And then the Doctor can see your bypass.
deeno
on 5/23/07 1:00 am - Kokomo, IN
Hi there I'm having sclerotherapy in Grand Rapids, Michigan, on Friday 5/25.  For one treatment, my out of pocket cost (no insurnace to cover weight loss procedures) was quoted to me as $700-$800.  Of course, I trust no one with billing in the medical field, and I'll believe the bill when I see it.  But, that's what I was told (FYI).  I agree that the sclerotherapy seems a little less aggressive.  The chemical used is the same stuff used with vericose veins (if that puts you at ease), and if they "over do it", the stoma can be restretched. My Dr. said he won't know if I will need more than one treatment until he gets in there to see what's going on (makes sense), and naturally I'm hopeful that I'm corrected in one zap.  The doc did say that weight loss would be slow (1-2 popunds a week)--I'd take that any day!  I'm thinking more of the preventative factor here, as I don't want to gain any more weight...which is getting harder and harder to control. Thanks for researching and posting.  I've enjoyed reading your data.  I'm still happy with my decision of sclerotherapy at this time due to the cost, and level of invasiveness.  For me, it's a good fit.  Who knows, maybe years down the road if the sclerotherapy fails, I'll take a look at the EROS or whatever else comes up at that time.  Hopefully I'll have insurance to pay for it! Good luck to you! Diana
missys828
on 5/23/07 5:23 am - Tarpon Springs, FL

OH DAZZLING!!  I'm so happy that I was able to help!  It sounds like you are well on your way! I've spent the last 2 days calling around to get information and I have an appointment with Dr. Baker in Grand Rapids for my consultation on 7/11 and my sclerotherapy procedure on 7/12!!  My insurance is covering it all!  YIPPPEEEE!!!! I'm going to ask him to make sure he takes a look at my pouch while he's in there to make sure that it isn't stretched out too.  If it is, I'll get a copy of his report and take it back to my bariatric surgeon to discuss a full surgical revision (yuch!).  Of course I'll wait awhile to see if the sclerotherapy takes care of the problem...

Most Active