New procedure for gastric bypass patients who have not lost all their weight or are regaining

cheyenne16
on 5/14/07 10:23 am - Post Falls, ID
That sounds right - is someone actually doing that procedure right now?
FlowerDogsMom
on 5/15/07 10:24 am - Beloit, WI
Yes, Dr. Alverdy at University of Chicago. He emailed me last week that they have started performing this procedure.
tonilynm
on 5/14/07 4:53 am
Cheyenne, Does Dr Fisher do the Stomaphyx procedure?  I have a call into his office, but have not heard back from them.  Do you know how much this procedure costs? Toni
cheyenne16
on 5/14/07 1:45 pm - Post Falls, ID
They will start doing it next month (June) as it's just been approved.  He believes insurance companies will pay for it but it will be about $5,000. Cheyenne
tonilynm
on 5/17/07 1:54 am
I have an appointment with Dr. Fisher Tuesday May 22nd.  I will then see if I am eligible for this surgery.  Toni
cheyenne16
on 5/17/07 3:26 am - Post Falls, ID
That's AWESOME - please tell him Cheyenne sent  you! Cheyenne
tonilynm
on 6/5/07 11:55 pm
Good Morning, I met with Dr. Fisher yesterday and was very impressed with him.  I am scheduled to have the Stomaphyx procedure on June 21st.  Here is what I found out: Cost - $6,250       Device $1,800      Dr.  $1,000      Hospital $2,950      Anesthesiologist $500 Hospitization - 1 day Only 20 - 30 have been performed in the US and 60 - 70 in Europe. This is still a very new procedure and there is no data to draw from.  There were no qualifications that had to be met, Dr Fisher just asked questions regarding my situation and reasons for wanting the surgery and accepted me as a candidate for the surgery. As with any other weight loss surgery, I will have to follow the diet plan (4 oz of food 3 times a day).  So basically, it is up to me whether or not this procedure will work.  Dr. Fisher stressed that there are no guarantees with this procedure and that I must be very commited to the process. I will let you know more after I have had the surgery. Toni
Cheryl J.
on 6/10/07 7:39 am

Thanks for the information toni. I guess insurance wont cover this surgery,huh? 

tonilynm
on 6/10/07 10:06 pm
My insurance does not cover morbid obesity surgery.  I didn't even try to see if they would.  It never hurts to ask. Toni
Cheryl J.
on 6/10/07 11:18 pm
Okay I see. I dont see this as a morbid obesity surgery. I see it more as a gastroenterology surgery, but he isn't a gasenterologist. I will give him a call. You are a right, it doesnt hurt to ask. 
Most Active