Revision to Lap Band from RNY?

Becke B.
on 4/1/07 11:43 am - Columbus, OH
Does anyone have an experience on the efficiency of a Lap Band placed on top of an existing pouch? Or have this done? I just got out of the hospital for a possible bowel obstruction and the bariatric surgeon there suggested this as a possible way for me to get back on track since I have no restriction from the original surgery.
GrannyLaLa
on 4/2/07 1:31 pm - South,, AR
Head over to the Lapband forum.  I've seen several posts from people that had lapband placed over their RnY pouch and started losing again.  Dr. Curry in Cinncinatti (sp?) does them.  He answers posts on the lapband board.  Good luck!

Glitter Text

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/07 1:12 am
Michelley
on 6/5/07 6:13 pm - North Platte, NE
Hi, Linda. I share your situation. I'm now 6 years out from my RNY. I have never dumped, vomitted or otherwise gotten sick. I have never had feelings of fullness, can eat as much as I want, still have heartburn, etc. - it's as though I never had the surgery. I also lost weight only initially - while on the liquid and pureed stages of the diet. I tried and tried to tell my surgeon that something wasn't right to no avail. A couple of years ago I got a second opinion. This time the surgeon ordered and upper GI and told me that my stomach could not have possibly stretched to it's current size had the RNY been done correctly. He also said I have enough stomach for a lap band. So now I'm working on getting insurance approval for a lap band over my RNY. Don't give up the fight!
Lara Croft
on 4/19/07 1:03 am - Fairfield, OH
I have went to go see Dr. Rodriguez yesterday about a possible lapband over RNY and he said that the risk are too great!!  The risks are death, leakage, etc.  So the only thing I suggest you to do is get a Upper GI X-Ray and talk to Dr Curry or Dr. Rodiguez
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/07 1:26 pm - Big Sky Country, ID
We have people on the lap band forum that are revised from RNY to lap band.  There should be no danger associated with it.  I haven't heard anyone mention a problem yet with their revision. Good Luck and please visit the lap band forum, Dee
mish
on 4/20/07 1:44 pm - Baltimore, MD
Sorry you had the complication. I had the band done in 1/06 over my 1994 bypass and have done wonderfully.  The band offers GREAT restriction tand he weight comes off. I highly recommend it.

Mish

4/94:  RNY start weight:   258 lbs.                              
 1/06:  Lap band start weight:  189 lbs. 
  6/07:  122 lbs. size 6
asumamma1
on 5/7/07 10:04 am - NC
I am having lap band placed on top of my existing pouch on May 21st, 2007 at Presbyterian Hospital in Charlotte, NC.  I also have a large "fistula" where my staple line totally came apart that will be re-closed.  My surgeon is Dr. David Voellinger.  After extensive tests (Upper GI, Endoscopy, etc.), we believe that this is the best way to go for my case.  I recommend the Revision Bandsters forum on Yahoo.  There are a lot of "bandovers" who post there.  Best wishes to you!  Martha J.
Most Active