anyone revise from band to rny

blueeyes.5
on 2/22/07 2:59 am - c, SD
Hi everyone I am just wonder if there is anyone out there who has had the band and revised to the RNY procedure.  I had the band for about 3 years and had a slip and the surgeon removed the band and said he could not replace the band at the time of surgery said too swollen and maybe could have it replaced in about a year.  It has been almost a year now and have gained most of the weight back that I lost. (only lost about 60 of the 100 that I needed to lose) and I am thinking about getting the rny instead of another band.  I am a self pay and do not want to have to worry about paying for more surgeries with the band and never lost all the weight I wanted to anyway.  Just wondering if anyone out there has done this and been successful.  Did your surgeries have to be open or lap? Have you lost more weight than you did with the band.  Was the surgery more difficult since you had the band first.  The first surgeon I talked to said he could not do the surgery ( he has never done one) because he thought the band was in the same spot that the staples would go for the RNY and that there might be too much damage where the band was.  Anyone every hear this before? I would not go to that surgeon anyway since he has not done this type of revision before. But wondering if he had a point about where the band and staples go.  Just wondering if anyone had any information out there that they would share. thanks CA
GrannyLaLa
on 2/22/07 11:37 am, edited 2/22/07 11:47 am - South,, AR
For me, personally and I'm not in any medical fields, I'd check out the Gastric Sleeve first.  Far less potiential problems afterwards.  Read up on Complications, Regrets, and other boards where people tell of their problems.  Most are of RnYers that didn't lose all of the weight they needed to or did and then regained.  Many on these boards tell of needing different surgeries after having the RnY. Then there is the DS.  The gastric sleeve is the first part of the DS, where the stomach is trimmed down into a small banana shaped sleeve.  Later if you need it you can then have the colon or intestines cut and redone.  You'll have to check out that board for the actual information. I admit I haven't really studied that surgery.  I'm sorry that the band didn't work for you.  Do you know why it slipped?  Good luck on your future WLS!

Glitter Text

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/07 10:09 pm - TX
On February 22, 2007 at 7:37 PM Pacific Time, GrannyLaLa wrote:
For me, personally and I'm not in any medical fields, I'd check out the Gastric Sleeve first.  Far less potiential problems afterwards.  Read up on Complications, Regrets, and other boards where people tell of their problems.  Most are of RnYers that didn't lose all of the weight they needed to or did and then regained.  Many on these boards tell of needing different surgeries after having the RnY. Then there is the DS.  The gastric sleeve is the first part of the DS, where the stomach is trimmed down into a small banana shaped sleeve.  Later if you need it you can then have the colon or intestines cut and redone.  You'll have to check out that board for the actual information. I admit I haven't really studied that surgery.  I'm sorry that the band didn't work for you.  Do you know why it slipped?  Good luck on your future WLS!
The GS would be my advice too.  Depending on how much weight you have left to lose, of course.  Good luck.
Nicole *.
on 2/26/07 10:34 am
Hi Blueeyes I got the Lap-Band surgery done July 2001 and a revision done to a RNY May 19th 2006. I couldn't be happier with my decision. I have lost 123 lbs and its still melting off. The only problems my surgeon came across was that the lining of my stomach had thickened due to, what he thinks, was an allergic reaction to the material in the band. He said he had difficulties because of that but not cause the band was in the same location as the staples. I had to get it done open cause he wanted to make sure he could get proper access to remove the band etc. Feel free to read my profile it has everything I have gone through, the good and the bad. Hope this helps, feel free to ask me anything Nicole
boysclub
on 2/28/07 3:33 am
I had lapband 10/02, had tons of complications... a broken port, slippage, hiatel hernia.  I lost 100 lbs, but was miserable with reflux.  I had the band unfilled and slowly regained about 40 lbs.  I had rny 7 weeks ago.  I have lost 29 lbs.  I feel great.  Because I had scar tissue, the surgeon had to make the pouch bigger than normal, so my weight loss is a bit slower, but I am so thrilled to be rid of my band.  I do not think the band is a permanent solution and I believe it will eventually become obsolete.  As for the sleeve, I considered that but the WL results are much less impressive than with rny. Good luck!
Kahiah1
on 3/1/07 4:52 pm - LivingHappy, AL
You will find most RNY patients lost most of their excess weight, and have not gained it back. A few have, just as a few have with DS and certainly have with Gastric Sleeve, which has no malabsorptive aspect to reduce the fat  absorbed into your body. Look into all possibilities, and ask around on every board, RNY, Lapband, Gastric Sleeve, and DS. Good luck!
Elizabeth L.
on 3/7/07 11:55 am - Canton, MS
I had a "Molina" gastric band inserted in September 1996...yep, over 10 years ago. On March 12th, 2007 I will undergo a revision to the RNY. I will post shortly thereafter to inform others of how I am feeling and if I would recomend this procedure. Why am I revising? Acid Reflux and an ulcerated esophogus. Later, Beth in Mississippi
gonemadx3
on 3/20/07 5:36 am - East Peoria, IL
I am engaging in the revision process now after two years and no weight loss from the band, I will be getting the rny. I was informed i had esophageal diverticulum  and have had tons of problems swallowing with my band from day 1. I can't wait! Michele
Tonia Loveslife
on 3/23/07 9:36 am - Port Neches, TX
Most Active