Lap band Revision pending

covingtono
on 2/14/07 1:09 am - Williamstown, NJ
I was banded by Dr. Andrei, NJ in 04. weight was about 250 lbs., 5'6. The band did not work for me. 3 years later, i am about 242 lbs. so I am going to revise to the gastric bypass. The surgery will be done in 2 parts, 1st one to remove the band, 2nd at about 6 weeks later. Has anyone ever had a revision of this type? I'm a bit apprehensive, as i would be with any surgeon.I understand that this is a significantly more difficult procedure. I have a young child and don't neccesarily want to put my health at jeopardy any more than i have to. Any similar experiences would be most helpful.

Debbie B.
on 2/14/07 6:41 am, edited 2/24/07 9:33 am - Valparaiso, IN
I was just revised on November 29th from  an old adjustable gastric band way back in 1990 to the DS. I had maintained my weight loss  with the band until it broke in the 5th year. My revision was done open in one surgery and I've had no complications and down 45 pounds. Good luck to you!
                           D e b  
GrannyLaLa
on 2/19/07 12:25 pm - South,, AR
I'm confused? I didn't think the AGB or Lapband was done in the US until 2001?  Where did you get your AGB done? Just curious, thanks!

Glitter Text

Debbie B.
on 2/24/07 9:39 am - Valparaiso, IN
I had my adjustable gastric band done in Fort Wayne, Indiana way back in 1990. Several of us in this area had it done. I shared a room in the hospital with a friend who had her surgery as soon as I came out of my surgery.  At that time as far as I knew my options for WLS were either the AGB or stomach stapling. My band was not the Lapband but it's function was the same. It could be adjusted tho, thru outpatient surgery. As a matter of fact I was not happy with my restriction and had mine adjusted about 2 months after my original surgery and was home that evening. The incision to tighten it was only about 2 or 3 inches long and on top of the original incision. All those years of having the band I was constantly hungry and it was a constant struggle to maintain my weight. In the 5th year I got the flu real bad, the vomit would not come up, after several minutes of dry heaving I was finally able to vomit. I will never forget that day, it was a Christmas Eve, I was so sick I thought I would die. The next day I was able to eat a whole piece of chicken with absolutely no problem. I knew then that the band had broke because I could never even eat the meat off of a chicken wing,chicken was the hardest thing for me to eat with the band. Sure enough my DS surgeon said I was right, he found the broken band, removed it and a couple days later in the hospital he showed it to me.
                           D e b  
GrannyLaLa
on 2/26/07 1:01 pm - South,, AR
Ouch!  I'm glad nothing serious happened, although the band breaking wasn't a SMALL thing!  One WLS doesn't fit all and isn't 100% for everyone.  Too bad some have to go through different problems before finding the solution.

Glitter Text

Stephanie G.
on 2/16/07 3:07 pm - Rowlett, TX
I had my lapband placed in July of 2005 and it didn't work for me either.  I have recently consulted with a new physician and plan to have the band removed and a lap RNY done.  I am 4 lbs less today then when I got the band.  I am currently 5'5 and weigh 240.  We are waiting to hear from my insurance co. regarding the revision.   It should all be done in one operation.
covingtono
on 2/19/07 9:21 am - Williamstown, NJ
I hear that it can be done in just one operation, but it is a lot riskier to do it that way. Reportedly, removal of the band may cause bleeding and trauma to other organs, so the safest way is to do it in 2 procedures.
spotty_dotty
on 3/12/07 9:38 pm - Birmingham, UK

I am due to have my band removed and to have a bypass. Again lack of weight loss is the reason just two years of nothing but heartbreak and problems. My consultant said he is yet undecided about if he will be revising me all at once or in two stages he said 12 weeks post band out. He did say that he had to weight up the risk if I regain a lot of weight during that 12 weeks that can make surgery even more dangerous. And there is a good chance I will regain because I have been deprived of decent nutrition and food for so long. I Think he was wavering on doing the procedure all in one.

~~Sami~~ *.
on 4/27/07 12:23 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I know a lot of Lap-Band to VSG revisions... and nearly all were done at the same time.  I think it depends on why you're being revised... people who have Band erosion may have more issues with needing the stomach to heal, etc.  A lot of times your surgeon won't know the condition of your stomach until after s/he removes the Band.  Ask on the VSG boards, though... and you can hear from lots of Band to VSG people. (Not the same as an RNY, but a revision nonetheless. :))

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active