Info on revision after RNY.....please help!

clacognata
on 2/7/07 11:19 pm - Westmont, IL
  I had gastric bypass 11/03, started at 435lbs. currently 330lbs. I am wondering if any had any info on revisions???? I am still super morbidly obese, and would like to do something about it. Any info you may have will help....Dr's names, hospitals, qualifications to get approved, insurance info?????? Thanks, Cara
LisaHillsinger
on 2/11/07 12:32 pm - San Luis Obispo, CA
Hi Cara. I think before you start thinking about a revision, you need to find out what's going on now. Are you following your doctor's eating/drinking rules, such as protein first, no drinking with meals, no snacking, limit the carbs? Are you getting some exercise? My doc insists on 2 miles a day. Is your bloodwork up to date? Have you talked to your surgeon or a nutritionist about why you are stalled? Your doc might suggest an endoscope to view your pouch to see if you have a problem, like a stretched stoma (opening to the intestines). When you have all this figured out, you'll be better able to consider if a revision is appropriate. You've done well so far, you've lost over 100 pounds and kept it off for over three years. Wishing you all the best. Lisa (Not a doctor, I don't even play one on t.v.)
Melanie K.
on 2/13/07 8:22 am - JEANNETTE, PA
Hi Cara, Please check out my profile I was in a similar boat. I hope it helps, good luck. Melanie C.
clacognata
on 2/13/07 8:29 pm - Westmont, IL

I can't seem to be able to view your profile....how can I get to it.............

Melanie K.
on 2/14/07 12:09 am - JEANNETTE, PA
On Obesity Help's Website click on find a bariatric surgeon, click on PA, click on Joseph Collella, Then under his profile click on revision (in blue) under type of surgeries, I should come up there Melanie C. Tell me if this doesn't work. Thanks
AA
on 2/14/07 7:09 am - New York, NY
I know you're in IL, but you didn't specify if you'd travel. Dr. Michel Gagner is a very well-known WLS surgeon in the US.  He practices in NYC and he does revisions (of course, I'm not sure what you're looking to revise to).  As for ins., you'd have to check with the office as it's always changing. Here's the home page: http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/

Duodenal Switch/Lap -- Drs. Alfons Pomp & Michel Gagner - New York City

4/4/05: 265 lbs/BMI: 45.6

4/11/05: 256 lbs/BMI: 43.9 (date of surgery)

7/27/08: Gallbladder Removed

jocelynrose
on 2/27/07 2:30 am - Sumerduck, VA
Hi Cara, I'm online trying to get some answers about whether to consider another surgery.  My numbers are very similar to yours.  I had laproscopic gastric bypass 1/2003 at 432 lbs.  It took me almost 2 years to lose 100 lbs. and now it's creeping back up.  The practice that did my surgery and my primary physician are very unconcerned so I just have tried to live with still being "morbidly obese."  I'm 48 years old and still miserable and am considering having something "redone."  What have you found out about that. JD
clacognata
on 2/27/07 2:44 am - Westmont, IL
If you go to "Bariatric Surgeon" at the top of the page, you can find a surgeon in your area, and when you are doing a search what the kind of surgery you want, search for revision and it will tell you all the doctors in your area who do revisions.  You can pick one and make an appt and they will tell you if you qualify for a revision. Hope this helps! Cara
slickgt
on 3/2/07 1:15 pm - Bolingbrook, IL

Hi, I had RNY in May 2005 starting weight 470.  I got down to 315 and haven't been able to get any lower.  I'm having a revision this May that is being done by my original surgeon whom I think is great.  His name is Dr. Joseph Vitello and he is at UIC in Chicago.   I had to go through all the same original qualifications, psych eval, dietician eval, PCP approval, etc. but it was all approved.  I have BC/BS Blue Advantage insurance. Dr. Vitello is going to separate my intestines from my pouch.  Bypass more intestines to give me more of a malabsorption factor, make the connection between my pouch and intestines smaller and fix a hernia I have from the first surgery. Hope this helps!  Good luck to you Ed

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/07 10:16 am - TX

HI, I had a revision from my RNY to DS in Aug 2006.  Dr. Husted, San Francisco, BCBS National PPO, needed an endoscopy, upper GI, sleep study, psych exam, stress echocardiogram and a plane ticket from Lambert airport to SF airport.

I did see my surgeon in Nashville before he moved to SF, though.  I attended a seminar and had my consult on the same day.

As a revision, I knew it was absolutely imperative to find the very best surgeon with the most experience with revisions.  RNY to DS is the most complex of all the WLS and fortunately, mine has been perfect.  I attribute that to the superior surgeon I had.

Dr. Husted:  http://www.lapsf.com/ 

Most Active