revision from RNY to Lapband?

busyredhed
on 1/18/07 1:32 am - Merced, CA
I have a question for anyone.  I have been dealing with severe reactive hypoglycemia for the last year. I had my RNY in April 2004 and had successful weight loss and holding. I have lost all of my weight and at one point I was underweight. I can't eat anything at all unless it's natural. I can't have any carbs. One small slice of low carb pizza or a small bowl of chili will send my blood sugar plummeting into the 50s. According to my Bariatric Surgeon and my Endocrinologist, this is not normal and I am eating extremely well without any improvement which they had expected. At this point they are going to check my pancreas for tumors and it none are found(which they don't expect to find any), my surgeon is planning on revising me to a LapBand. Has anyone had this done? I am a little nervous. I don't care if I put on a little bit of weight, my concern is that I heal properly after he puts everything back from the RNY. He says that this is unusual to have this done since most people are revised from LapBand to RNY, but he says this is my only option since it will remove the malabsorptive issue which is what he believes is causing my problem. I want this done but am nervous. I can't go on like this. I am tired all of the time. My blood sugars spike and plummet. I never know what I can safely eat today but not be able to eat tomorrow. It is very unpredictable. My life right now has very little enjoyment. I have no stamina and my life revolves around food again. Instead of waiting for the next time to eat for enjoyment(which is what it was like pre-rny), I have to watch the clock for the next time I HAVE to eat so my blood sugar stays level. I constantly monitor everything I put in my mouth. Eating is a chore that I must do whether I'm hungry or not. Dawna
R C
on 1/23/07 10:46 am - IA
Ypu ar very fortunate that you haven't gained.  I also suffer from reactive hypoglycemia.  Have you tried any medications.  I have read if they place the lap band around the stoma to slow the food from passing through should also help.  I have 40# to get off.  Keep me updated, it is nice to be able to talk to someone with the same problem.  Did you have blood sugar problems prior to surgery?  I didn't until I got pregnant 6 months post op.  I have has BS in the teens. Kourtney
busyredhed
on 1/24/07 12:32 am - Merced, CA
Kourtney, I haven't been put on any medications yet. I didn't really have any blood sugar problems before surgery except that I was told that my body was having problems processing the sugar and I would be diabetic by the time I hit retirement age. They are getting ready to schedule me for a pancreatic mri just to make sure everything is ok there. This is extremely frustrating. I haven't gained anything yet at all. My surgeon finds that baffling as well. He says that I'm "a lone book up on the shelf". LOL. Dawna
Cathy A.
on 2/7/07 12:31 am - Modesto, CA
I had the lap band put on my RNY 3 months ago. I had it done because my stoma was to big for what ever reason. Every thing went right through and I was hungry very soon sometimes 30 minutes. Being banded is very different from RNY. When you have the surgery they put the band on empty you have to heal then they start fills. They say when you have RNY it takes more fills to feel restriction. I can say amen to that I had to get 4 fills in three months to tell any difference. But now I do and I think it is going to work great. I don't know if it will solve your problem but the food does go down slower.  Cathy
busyredhed
on 2/7/07 12:53 am - Merced, CA
Cathy, Oh wow, we have the same surgeon too. Thank you for the reply. He says that he's going to put me back together first, then place a Lap Band. I have read that this is very rare to do. I trust him though. He is very careful and thorough.  Dawna
Cathy A.
on 2/7/07 3:43 am - Modesto, CA
Dawna,  Big wow, I din't even notice that.  I travel from Modesto to Fresno to see Dr Higa. As you must know he is the best surgeon. I call him the Guru of WLS  he has taught most of the Drs in Calif. brazil and everywhere else how it should be done. He is tops in my book.  You are in good hands. I would like to keep track of how you are doing so please let me know. Cathy
Cathy A.
on 2/7/07 3:46 am - Modesto, CA
Dawna, I have a yahoo group for revisionbandster please join http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Revisionbandsters/ I am try to get support for use all in one place. It is a small group but will grow Cathy
busyredhed
on 2/7/07 4:02 am - Merced, CA
Thanks. I'll keep you posted. I saved the link. Dawna
Deanne K.
on 2/14/07 9:27 am - Tucson, AZ
Cathy, I am the same way.  I haven't had the band put on yet, but according to Dr. Simpson, this happens to about 20% of RNY patients.  I am waiting on insurance and the Dr.'s submission to get this surgery done again. Deanne 11/9/04 Dr. Blackstone
Cathy A.
on 2/14/07 10:34 pm - Modesto, CA
Deanne,     I am not surprised at the 20% I hear more and more from people with this problem.  Thanks for joining the group. A regular RNY'er has no understanding of the ones who are having a problem.  Really I never understood what everyone else was talking about. My friend and her husband had Ryn's and she says the would share one egg. lol I could eat 2 eggs from the beginning.  So this wls is just like any other sugery. If you had heart surgery and it didn't work you would go back and get it fixed. That's what I did and I am glad. I hope you get you surgery soon.   I am glad I started the RevisionBandsters group because we need extra support. Now from my experience I can say that you need to be agressive with first fills because it takes more to feel the effects of the band than regular bandsters. I went three months trying to get some restriction I finally have some so it is starting to work but I feel I need alittle bit more to get to that sweet spot. I have 3cc in my 4cc band. Cathy
Most Active