Anyone regret RNY ?

busyredhed
on 2/5/09 2:49 am - Merced, CA

My problems has gotten better. I gained about 30 pounds in the last year and a half. I have been holding steady at my current weight for the last 8 months. I fluctuate a couple pounds up or down. Since gaining some weight, my blood sugar issues have decreased. It still drops, but i Have to be VERY BAD for it to drop. It dropped over superbowl because I snacked on tortilla chips,and then had a hamburger on white bun. Too many carbs., but normally now, I can eat a decent amount of carbs without dropping. I still have to be careful, but if it hadn't have gotten better, the doctor was going to look at reversal. Now, they have changed their minds. I still get tired very easily and have to have  nap everyday, but I am doing better. The surgeon told me that some people need to put a little bit of weight back on because their bodies can get too thin even if they don't look too thin. Good Luck. If you are having too many problems, reversing it is probably a good idea.

Marisol
on 2/5/09 8:35 am - NY, NY
THANKS FOR WRITING BACK. I AM VERY HAPPY TO HEAR THAT YOU ARE BETTER. AS FOR ME I HAVE SEEN 2 DR. BOTH FEEL I MUST REVERSE THE BYPASS. I WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED.
THANKS AGAIN,

MARISOL
Vicki PNW
on 2/5/09 4:03 am

I am a virgin DSer and am glad that I didn't have the lap-band or the RNY.

One of the reasons I chose the DS is that my primary insurance covers DS but not the VSG.  Also, I wanted a fully-functioning stomach with the pylorus valve intact and to be able to eat like a non-WLSer and not have to worry about dumping, puking, or getting the foamies.  Plus, I wanted to be able to take meds like a non-WLSer.

Reason I didn't want RNY:  When the local TV station was doing a medical investigation of "gastric bypass" surgery about 10 years ago, the reporter used a two-liter bottle for the pre-op stomach and unscrewed a bottle cap from the same bottle for the post-op pouch.  I knew right away that I would never opt for that kind of surgery!

I have seen RNYers and lap-banders being able to eat only a couple of small bites before they say that they're full.  Plus, I did notice that one RNYer ordered an egg omelet at a restaurant, but she was able to eat only the ham dices in the omelet and not the egg itself.  At the same time, a lap-bander (banded in 2005) ordered some kind of a big salad but could eat only a few bites (the lap-bander told me that she would consider a revision to a DS someday).  To me, that's not real eating!

Also, I learned in the surgery prep seminar that RNYers have to cut foods into sizes of pencil erasers to accommodate their egg-sized (about 50 ML) pouches.  Real DSers eat just like any non-WLSer!

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Most Active