Anyone regret RNY ?

t1b2
on 11/25/06 3:49 am
Hi, I am torn between Lap Band vs RNY, it seems like RNY is definitely better for me, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had the RNY and regrets it? If so, could you possibly let me know why? I would really appreciate the feedback, I am trying to do as much research and talk to as many people as possible. Thanks so much, Tennille :-)
(deactivated member)
on 11/25/06 5:15 am

Hi! I can't speak from first had experience because I had the DS surgery.  But I will share with you that I have met quite a few people on these boards *****vised from their RNY surgery to the DS.  Some of the reasons include that people say a) they just miss eating food too much - that all of the pleasure of eating is gone from their lives, b) they lost a lot of weight with the RNY but now they have gained it all back and want to change from their RNY to the DS, c) that they wanted to have the DS but their insurance wouldn't pay for it and now they regret not appealing for fighting their insurance or just self paying for the DS. d) they reget that the tool they were given with the RNY is much harder to use than the tool you get with the DS and if they knew they were still going to have to be on a very restrictive diet for the rest of their lives they never would have the RNY, e) some people regret that just because their local surgeon didn't do the DS they settled for a RNY instead of traveling to an experienced DS surgeon. There may be other reasons for regrets - like I said, I do not have first hand experience because I chose the DS surgery.  Not only because of the reasons above but also so I wouldn't have to worry about possibly dumping and vomiting.  Also, I wanted to be able to eat much more normally. Now, there are many, many, many RNY people on some of these boards that are just tickled pink iwht their surgery and have found that it works really great for them.  Some of them are glad that they dump because this reminds them not to eat the wrong foods.  Others are unhappy that they do not dump because they do not have that incentive to avoid certain foods.  But, still, there are many RNYers that are very happy with their chosen surgery and have had amazing amounts of initial weight loss. There are pros and cons to every surgery. I encourage you to spend hours and hours (days and days?) reading old posts on many different forums here on OH. Ultimately, you are responsible for the choice you make...so I encourage you to be very, very, very well informed.

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/06 6:10 am - IN
Hi Tennille, I had RNY in May of 1999. I lost 255 lbs in 18 months..felt great...until i started gaining back ..i have gained 90 lbs back and am in the process of going to Mexico to have my RNY revised to the DS. I feel it is the surgery that is going to help me the most. I have talked to so many that have gained most or some of thier weight back. However i also know alot of people that love thier RNY and it works for them. Just research dear..it is so depressing to lose all that weight and then start gaining. Good Luck to you Val
(deactivated member)
on 11/26/06 9:51 pm - TX
Yes, I regret having it because it failed me.  I am now revised to a DS and there is very little to fail mechanically.  I'd have to eat a ton of simple carbs to ever regain all my weight. good luck to you.
G.
on 12/4/06 5:06 pm - along the coast, CA
hello there Dont get the RNY it dont work  especially if ure BMI is above 45!!!  Once ure body loses drastically and maintain it for a year liike I have ure body wont be able to tolerate supporting a rapid re-gain. Its nice to know Im not the only one looking into having a revision.I  had RNY back in  Jan04  lost 140 Lbs at the end of that year and was able to maintained 1Yr ~N~half . Just about from  May06-Dec06 Ive gained 50Lbs thats Alot .Altho i exercised n watched my diet it has been just sooo impossible.im feeling like Im starving for food all the time. At this point im weighing 235 an my health issues slowely creepin up and thought I must try A revision before it gets any worst. Well on  Nov06 I went in for a consultation in Delano,CA for Duodenal switch Revision within few days i was told i was approved!! Very many post-op RNY patients  go for this DS revision.  I was so glad to know My Medicare / medi-cal insurances had been approved.
Kryst
on 12/4/06 9:59 pm - NYC, NY

Hi there, I had RNY and REGRET it so bad... I have gained some of the weight back, and it's harder than ever to lose... The complications with the RNY were soooo bad! The DUMPIN, NARROWING and throwing up were the worst for me, not to mention that I'm ALWAYS hungry... I could eat a meal and less then 2 hrs later I'm hungry again... I wish I would have had the DS.. It was my first choice, but I let people talk me out of it.. (stupid I was) Now I want a revision to DS and was told I can't becuse of the complications I had with the narrowing and the scaring I was left with... Don't get me wrong, I would do this again in a heart beat BUT just NOT the RNY.. Good luck to you..

G.
on 12/5/06 1:33 am - along the coast, CA
Kryst, im so sorry this RNY didnt work for niether both of us and probably plenty of others out there. I too will eat a meal to fulfill me as what I would think then an hour later im hungry .Its like if i was stranded in some deserted island for months and come home anxious to eat...I really Crave SALTY foods do you?? At the begining As I started going to those group supports I guess I too was convienced at the time that RNY was for me because I yet havnt ran into a DS post-op patient.Then I noticed fewer people were attending until I came accros their bulletin and behold i found thos patients complaining of weight gain and just were ashame Im supposing to even continu their attendence.as I switched to another group support this was then when i met 3 girls and i was regreting my RNY even more!! I studied these two procedures and come to know Theres no way of stretching the pouch for RNY where U first bust is the suture lining where the intestine was brought up to the stomach .Complications such as ures and this dumping thing we ALL have really does damage in that particular area.Those thinking of RNY Think how rapidly the food will come up as we vomit and the stress the lining will go through to squeeze a twice of a lump of food then what it first went thru..Question is what will stretch the lining or the pouch? probably both Kryst and I are pissed off ok !!  Its like if I can tell her it will be okay shed rather have a big hug rather than to hear it. Perhaps You go for a second opinion on what is going on at your suture lining dont go back to your RNY surgeon. Take Care 
busyredhed
on 12/11/06 1:45 am, edited 12/11/06 1:52 am - Merced, CA
I wanted to give you some input here. I don't come to these board often anymore, but here is my RNY story. I had a RNY in april of 2004.  It went very well. I lost almost 200 lbs. in the first year and felt great. I followed all of my pouch rules and had no complications whatsoever. I did notice though that I was unable to take full doses of over the counter medications such as tylenol cold because they would make me very shaky like I had drank a whole pot of coffee or something or knock me out if they had even small amounts of antihistimine in them. Therefore, I only take a half of a dose of medication. In September of 2005 I began having what I thought were anxiety attacks from stress. They continued to get worse and I began getting very tired all of the time which I attributed to stress and fatigue from anxiety attacks. After therapy, seeing many doctors, trying many anti-depressants(which made me more depressed because they weren't absorbed properly), I began breaking out into sweats and even coming close to passing out and getting dizzy all of the time.  My bariatric surgeon suggested that I might be having blood sugar issues so I began testing my blood sugar on a regular basis and keeping a food diary. After 3 months of this, I went back to my bariatric surgeon and an endocrinologist who told me that I had developed a severe case of "reactive hypoglycemia".  My surgeon has never seen it to this degree. He tells me that even though a certain amount of reactive hypoglycemia is expected with RNY patients if eating the wrong kinds of foods, my diet was very restricted and I really was eating properly. He feels that I have an extreme case of this side effect. At this point, I am unable to eat ANY foods with white flour. I can't even eat certain types of sugar alcohol. I can't eat things like potatoes, many fruits, rice, beans or oatmeal. Even one or two bites of pie crust made with splenda will send my blood sugar downwards within a matter of hours.  At this point, I must monitor every bite I put in my mouth, monitor my blood sugar at all times and read labels to make sure I am eating only whole wheat and natural products. Nothing processed at all. My endocrinologist is monitoring me and wants to try me on a low dose medication that blocks my carb absorption if I don't get better with diet restrictions.  My surgeon has put me on hold for 6 months pending her actions and if I am still having problems and am miserable in 6 months, he intends to reverse my surgery and then put a simple adjustable lap band which he says comes with the risk of gaining weight back.  I know many people who have had this surgery with no complications. I know some people that have gained a little weight back and some people that have gained a lot of weight back.  I also know 2 people who only lost 40 or 50 pounds and they don't know why. Do I regret it? When I have my good days, I don't regret it, but when my blood sugar issues and the constant fatigue affect my life and I have bad days, yes I do regret it. I hope this helps. Dawna
(deactivated member)
on 12/16/06 5:05 am - TX
I would react the same way if I ate oatmeal or a bowl of cheerios.  Which is why I choose the DS for my revision.  I couldn't be happier with it.
Marisol
on 2/5/09 2:10 am - NY, NY
HI, MY NAME IS MARISOL I WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAD REVERSE THE GASTRIC BYPASS? HOW ARE YOU DOING? I BEEN HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS AND MY DR. WHAT TO DO THE SAME. I HAD THE WLS IN 2006 EVERTHING WAS GOING GO UNTIL THE LAST YEAR. I HAVE BEEN IN AND OUT OF THE HOSPITAL HAD 4 SURGERY SINCE FOR INTESTINAL ISSUE ETC. I HOPE YOU ARE DOING GOOD.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU COULD GIVE ME,

MARISOL
Most Active