VBG converting to RNY - What hapens to my current silastic band????

Debbie B.
on 10/3/06 11:57 am - Valparaiso, IN
I invite you over to the Duodenal Switch forum, check it out, you may find as many of us have that this is the surgery for us.
                           D e b  
Mary *.
on 10/3/06 8:33 pm - TX

Hi Debbie, Thanks for the invite. I will stop by and check it out.  Have a great day, Mary

Mary

Cassandra W.
on 10/13/06 9:10 pm - West, TX
I was going to have a revision from VBG to RNY and the surgeon showed me on the fluoroscopw exactly what he would do.  The existing ring etc will not be used at all.  They cut a small portion of your stomach at the very top to use as the pouch.  The rest of the stomach simply sits inside you attached to nothing. Instead of the bypass I got the lapband because when he got inside I had so much scar tissue and adhesions from the previous surgery that he felt it would be much safer to get the band. I hope this helps, Cassandra

Mary *.
on 10/14/06 10:46 am - TX
Hi Cassandra, Thanks for the response. I just received my insurance approval and will be meeting with my surgeon again shortly, How is the lapband working out for you?  I have discussed the posibility of converting to an open RNY procedure if I am too stuck from my first surgery, but lap band could be an option that would allow me to stay laparoscopic even if i am somewhat stuck. You have given me a whole new thing to think about. And I thought I was just about "thunk" out!!!! Thanks again, Mary
Mary

Cassandra W.
on 10/14/06 11:13 am - West, TX
First of all make sure your surgeon is very experienced with whatever procedure you have.  I almost died during the VBG because the doc had simply gone to a seminar and was very inept. I am doing well with the band.  The weight comes off slowly but it tends to stay gone with no stretching of the stoma etc as with some bypass patients.  I am down 30 lbs since surgery and have gone for my second fill.  My good surgeon assures me I can lose all the weight I need to so i am trusting him. Wishing you the best whatever you choose, Cassandra

crygil
on 11/24/06 8:48 am - Dyer, AR
Hello, I was searching for messages about revisions from VBG to Lapband and I came across your message. My doctor is concerned about the scar tissue and adhesions also. My VBG was done 9 years ago. My staple line came apart and the ring eroded. Is there any thing that you can tell me about your surgery and what your doctor said about the scar tissue. I am nervous about having it done because I am self pay because my insurance will not pay for revisions. I don't want to end up paying for a loan for nothing. Thanks, Crystal Thank You 
Cassandra W.
on 11/24/06 9:32 am - West, TX
First of all be sure your surgeon is very very very  experienced with revisions.  I chose mine on that criteria I had not only had the VBG but also an exploratory hyserectomy so had been cut from stem to stern.  It took Dr. De la Garza 4 hours to clear the scar tissue away from my stomach and get it detached from the liver.  He also removed my gall bladder so part of the time was doing that.  I had 0 complications and recovered easily.  I had the surgery on Monday morning and flew home from Mexico on Wednesda morning and could have come Tuesday if I could have gotten a flight.  Your surgery will go fine IF your surgeon is very experienced with placing the band and revisions.  I paid about $10,000 for my surgery but 2500 of that was for the gall bladder removal. Feel free to ask  me any questions anytime. Cassandra

crygil
on 11/24/06 1:01 pm - Dyer, AR
Thank you for the fast reply and the information. It sounds like you had a really good doctor. I have heard of people going to Mexico for cheaper Lap-Bands, but had trouble getting their fills where I live in Arkansas. My surgery is going to cost $16,000. That seems to be the average price around my area. My doctor recommended this website and it has been a great help. I just wanted to hear from someone that has went through what I am about to go through and you have been very helpful. If any thing else comes up, I will be sure to ask you.  Crystal
Most Active