VBG converting to RNY - What hapens to my current silastic band????

Mary *.
on 10/1/06 3:47 am - TX
I plan to have my VBG from1993 converted to RNY  as soon as I get insurance aproval. I keep reading about people with RNY who's stomas have stretched and are now looking into adding a Lap Band. I am thinking that since I already have a silastic ring in place from my VBG that my stoma could not stretch. Am I on the right train of thought, or do I not understand correctly. I will ask my surgeon, but it will be awhile before I see him again and I just wonder if anyone may have some words of wisdom for me. My EGD showed that my pouch is now approx. 6-8 oz. and my ring and staple lines are still intact. I sure would hate to have my revision and then need another revision to tighten up what I already have in place. Just a lttle confused, Mary
Mary

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/06 3:23 pm - Trail, Canada
this is what I am looking into as well. from whats been explained to me, the stomach will again be resized to the proper size and then you'll have the bypass done.  I'm still all confused as to how its done.  as of right now. I have my pouch and my stomach... then theuy'll resize my poch... so I'll be left with 3 stomachs?  wonderoing if they remove the old pouch completly and create a new one with the larger old stomach? My surgeon has yet to really tell me how he will be doing all this. I jave fistulas, strictures, staple line abruption... all of which were present from day one.  I know I'm gonna be a fun operative case! If you learn more or someone else speaks up... let me know. I see y surgeon next month, will directly ask him to explain and I'll post here if someone else hasn't
Kimberly76
on 10/2/06 1:11 am - Lubbock, TX
I don't know if all revisions are the same, but I am having a revision from VBG to RNY and my surgeon is going to do a partial gastrectomy (removal of part of my stomach).  He is going to remove the entire VBG portion of my stomach (right side of stomach) and do the RNY on the left side of my stomach.  It will be a totally different pouch.  I have a staple line disruption from my VBG, so I may be different than you guys.  Hope this helps!
LisaE
on 10/3/06 5:12 am - Nazareth, PA
Kim....I am currently trying to get approved for a revision from a VBG to a RNY.  My VBG was done over 20 years ago (1982).  I have gained back all my weight and my health is extremely poor.  But my insurance company insists it is NOT medically necessary.  I have been fighting them on this for over one year now......if you don't me asking, who is your insurance and did you run into any problems getting approved.  I'm so tired.....but I will NOT give up!  Thanks in advance and good luck to you.  Lisa
Kimberly76
on 10/3/06 7:19 am - Lubbock, TX
Lisa, I don't mind you asking at all.  My insurance is United Healthcare.  I didn't have a problem at all being approved.  It took about 8 days. (I called twice a day.) haha. I have a staple line disruption from the VBG, so that probably had something to do with it.   Good luck!
LisaE
on 10/4/06 12:59 am - Nazareth, PA
Kim....yes, I'm sure your staple line disruption helped.   I was told that if I had a staple line disruption, I would have been approved too (AmeriHealth Ins).  How sad is that??  Wishing to have a "condition" in order to receive the help that you need to live a healthier life.  Is it me or does this not make sense?  I thought insurance companies where there to help you and bring you a better quality of life...NOT!  Well. thank you for your reponse.  Continued success and good health to you.  Lisa
Mary *.
on 10/2/06 5:21 am - TX
I'll keep you updated as I learn more.  My surgeon did tell me that when he resizes my pouch he will remove the excess portion of stretched out pouch. The rest of the stomach is totally separated from the pouch, but not removed completely. It will just sit in there still connected to the small intestine, but no food will pass thru it like it does now.  I have searched the internet for a diagram of a VBG revision to RNY, but I couldn't find anything other than revision studies. None of them have any pictures.  Good luck to you and thanks for the input, Mary
Mary

LisaE
on 10/3/06 5:08 am - Nazareth, PA

Mary, I'm looking into the same thing and this is a good question....I guess I haven't gotten that far yet as to get the "details" because my insurance WILL NOT approve me.  I (like you) still have everything in tact, no staple line disruption, etc...so they feel it is not "medically necessary" even though I have gained all my weight back and my health is steadily getting worse.  I had my VBG done back in 1982 and back then it was quite different and there was NO support of any kind.  If you don't mind me asking.....who is your insurance and how is it going as far as approval?  This battle has been going on for OVER ONE YEAR and I'm so tired of the fight!  Thanks in advance and good luck to you!  Lisa

Mary *.
on 10/3/06 7:52 am - TX
Hi Lisa, I don't mind you asking anything at all. That's why we are all here to learn more.  I have AETNA POS II. My first request has been submitted, within the last two weeks, and I am awaiting a reply.  I failed to mention that I also have a hiatal hernia. I am hoping that it will assist with my approval since it would be covered on it's own without the WLS. Do you have reflux???? If you do, I bet you also have a hiatal hernia. They found mine when they did my pouch study ( upper GI) and esophagoscopy. I had the heartburn for years since my surgery, but did not realize it was a result of my surgery. My gastroenterologist says it is very very common with VBG patients. I sure hope that I don't have to wait a year for approval. just getting to this point has been somewhat stressfull. I can only imagine what you have gone through. Keep up the fight! It will be worth it in the end. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Wishing you the best of luck! Mary
Mary

LisaE
on 10/4/06 12:54 am - Nazareth, PA
Mary, thanks so much for getting back to me.  I too have a hiatal hernia but my insurance company is EXTREMELY difficult to work with.  I have AmeriHealth and it's thru my husband's work which is union.  They are not helping matters any.  Yes, it has been the most stressful year of my life but I won't let them win!  I have hired a lawyer...just waiting.  Good luck to you and please try to keep me posted.  I'd like to know that someone is getting the help that they need.  Thanks again!  Lisa
Most Active