If you need revisions will the insurance cover this also,if they covered the first surgery?

companykeeper2003
on 9/24/06 5:03 am - Livingston, TN
I'm almost 2 years out. 12/27/06...and I've regained 24 lbs. I'm getting scared. I'm hungry all the time. I was hungry to start. I never lost all I should have . I'm gonna try and go back to the basics . But if this doesn't work for me then I'm thinking I'll need a revision. If I do and I get the surgeon to see it my way, will the insurance cover this revision since they did cover the surgery the first time round? Thanks for all your help. Sue
Cathy A.
on 9/29/06 12:57 am, edited 9/29/06 1:17 am - Modesto, CA
My story is just like yours only I had my RNY in 02. I think it will depends on your insurance. I have health net and I got approval in one week. I also have a great Dr that knows what he's doing and had everything together. Cathy
julie-t
on 10/4/06 7:00 am - gresham, OR
I had lap band placed 3/05 and have not lost any weight , well 15 pounds at first then i gained that back.  I asked United Health Care in 5/06 if they would authorized a revision and they said yes!  it only took about 2 weeks.  Well after a few appts with Dr Jan, I finally decided to go through with it.  My surgery is scheduled for 10/27.  I think that the ins companies look at your overall health because of your weight. Good luck!
asumamma1
on 10/4/06 10:02 am - NC
It greatly depends on your insurance I think---I have BCBS of NC and I just got my first denial letter last week.  I had RNY in  2002, lost 83 pounds and then started being very hungry and regained all but about 30 pounds.  The problem was that my staple line had failed.  I'm currently in the process of appealing.  What insurance do you have?
companykeeper2003
on 10/8/06 4:58 pm - Livingston, TN
Hi, Sorry it took me so long to answer, hadn't checked my emails in a few days. Well I have BCBS of Tn. When I went for the inial surgery they turned me down the first time to and I had to send in an appeal letter. Then I was approved for the surgery. Pretty much everyone I talked to said this is standard with them. So I'm hoping that means that you will have a chance with the appeal. Please keep me informed how it works out for you. Maybe somone could post and let us know just what kind of an appeal letter to send in for this revision type surgery so it will get approved. I know I appreciate all the help from any of you and thank you for all the support you give. Have a great day..Sue
asumamma1
on 10/9/06 8:27 am - NC
I will let you know how the appeals process goes.  My doctor's office let me know on Friday that BCBS of NC had agreed to a "peer to peer" review----where my doctor will discuss my case with their doctor.  If that fails, I will file the formal appeal letter.  I'll keep you posted!  Best wishes to you also. For the lady in Florida, the first step would be to get your surgeon (or another doctor) to order an Upper GI test---this will clearly show whether your pouch is stretched or your staple line has disrupted.  The obesityhelp website has a way for you to search for surgeons by type of surgery.....just click on Florida and look for surgeons who perform revision.  Be sure to check him or her out thoroughly so that you get good medical advice and care!
companykeeper2003
on 10/11/06 5:35 pm - Livingston, TN
Thank you for the information. Please keep me posted. It is all the help from the wonderful people on here that helps us all. I know before my surgery and after all of you have been a wonderful help. Thank you again. Sue
crabapple29
on 10/9/06 5:12 am - Lehigh Acres, FL
I had RNY 2/5/05 and I have lost 85 lbs.  I have not lost any weight at all in a while.  I was thinking about a revision.  I do not know how to go about this.  All the symptoms that you have, I have.  I am hungry all the time.  I need to lose more weight.  I need to lose another 75 lbs or so.  I have Aetna. I had Aetna when I have my RNY done, I am not sure if they will cover it now though for a revision.  I also don't know of any doctors in my area.  I am located in Lee County Fl.  If anyone know of any information please help me.  I am now seeing that I am not alone with my hunger etc. Thanks, Candice
AngieB67
on 10/22/06 1:21 am - Bel Air, MD

I have AETNA too so I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has AETNA also.  I had a VBG done in 1993 and have regained ALL of my weight.  My new Dr says I would be a good candidate but I'm just so apprehensive of the whole process.

Most Active