stretched stoma

shurwitz
on 9/25/06 2:04 am - Moultrie, GA
Hi Paula, just wanted to confirm your comments on schlerotherapy. I had RNY in 2001 (open) and lost 165 lbs., have now gained back some 60 pounds. I've now had two schlerotherapy treatments. I notice some improvement in restriction about a week after each treatment, then it seems like it's pretty much back to staying hungry and wanting to nibble or "graze" all the time. I will say that I have lost some 16 pounds over the past 3 1/2 months, but I think this is more because of my trying to get "back on track" with proper eating habits, etc. than from any WL due to the schlerotherapy. Doc. says the initial restriction may be just from irritation and swelling following the injections. I am now convinced my best option for permanent revision will be to add the lap band, which my Doc has mentioned.  My problem is that on my next appointment in one week, I'm sure my doc is gonna want to schedule me for another scherotherapy treatment to give this option a chance. I, however, would rather put my resources into a permanent, or at least a more long term, solution. I don't want to spend another month or two waiting to see if schlerotherapy is going to work. Any suggestions? 
Paula Prichard
on 9/25/06 2:19 am - Kingman, AZ
Well, I'm impatient so I wouldn't even bother with  more sclerotherapy. A doctor here told me that she wouldn't even bother with the sclerotherapy on me since my stoma was already beyond repair. She said it would be a waste of my time since it rarely provides more than a week of restriction after the injection (due to swelling), and it is not permanent. I had my LapBand appointment this past Friday and am currently gathering my medical information so that I can try to get approved. Good luck! :-)

Open RNY 1/24/02               First Post-op Baby: Roman Michael 3/29/06                                    
TT w/ Hernia Repair 7/03     Second Post-op Baby: Aurora Marie 1/15/08
LapBand on Pouch 11/06     Breast Reduction/Thigh Lipo/Brachioplasty 6/08
shurwitz
on 9/25/06 2:23 am - Moultrie, GA
Thanks for the response - and good luck on your LB appointment. I think I'm inclined to take your advice and tell my Doc. I've wasted enough time and money on short-term fixes with no verifiable long-term track record. Steven
smileey
on 10/13/06 10:41 am - FL
Do you know if the intraluminal suturing procedure works for this?
Paula Prichard
on 10/16/06 1:18 am - Kingman, AZ
Never heard of this, what is it exactly??

smileey
on 10/16/06 5:02 am - FL
Its a procedure done endoscopically where sutures are placed around the anastomosis which creates scar tissue/scarring thus making the opening smaller.  From what I understand this was developed by a GI doctor in Boston and he is the only one presently doing the procedure. I THINK some other surgeons may be studying the procedure at this time.
Paula Prichard
on 10/16/06 6:09 am - Kingman, AZ
Ok, I have heard of that, just not called by that particular name. I was actually told NOT to do that since it does not yield permanent results and hasn't been done on enough people to show long term effectiveness. I'm in a holding pattern for the Lap Band to be placed over my pouch to sort of "repair" the large stoma issue.

smileey
on 10/16/06 10:21 am - FL
Did your SURGEON tell you not to do that? Just curious because I am facing the same decision and I really dont want anymore "surgery". I posted looking for opinions from anyone about this very issue as I have to make this decision soon. I may just go try the suturing not sure though. Just cant have a lap band right now, I am kindof  "surgeried out" if there is such a thing....
Deanne K.
on 11/3/06 4:01 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi All, I was wondering if anyone has heard of an enlargement at the connection of the esophagus and the top portion of the pouch?  I don't know what you would call this.  I was told from my gastroenterologist yesterday from the EGD that this opening was way to large.  I have never had the "over full" feeling since the beginning, I have always been able to eat more than anyone else.  I will be 2 years out Nov. 9 and am starting to gain weight back in the past few months.
BrownSugarDiva
on 6/25/07 12:35 am - Lynn, MA
Hello, Do you know the name of the surgeon?  The name of the procedure?  The name of the hospital? Thanks!
Most Active