Micropouch needs revision--help?!?!

midkitschgrrl
on 9/17/06 4:40 am - MI

I didn't do as well as you did Paula.  Dr. Wood was my surgeon as well.  When he went to perform the RNY, which was an open surgery, he found several things wrong with my system from surgery I'd had at birth.  Basically, everything was in the wrong spot.  He had to put things back where they belonged as well as remove a lot of scar tissue from years of my system trying to function with everything out of place.  Then he did the bypass.  It was a two hour surgery turned into four. I went from 285 to 190 and that was my lowest.  I stayed there for about a year and slowly started to put weight back on.  Granted, it is my fault.  The surgery is a tool not a solution.  I don't think I ever got into the correct mindset.  The couple of counseling meetings that I went to afterwards seemed like more of a sales meeting to recruit new business than it was counseling.  So I didn't go. Four years later I had gained half of my weight back and was ashamed to go back to Dr. Wood for help.  A month ago I finally did go in.  I had made the appointment and they scheduled it five weeks away to make sure that they had time to get my records out of storage.  I went, waited two hours in the waiting room with soap operas blasting from the t.v. before I actually saw him. I explained to Dr. Wood that I understood that I had abused the weight loss process by not exercising, eating carbs, and that I could now eat a lot more than what they said I would ever be able to.  He started to ask me some questions, and I asked him if he remembered my surgery at all.  He said no and then told me he didn't have any of my records.  I basically had to fill him in on everything.  He told me that they had a 90+% success rate with their surgery and that I had to follow a very restricted no carb diet.  Then he sent me into see his nutritionist Darci. Darci was very nice, took me through the diet.  I was getting ready to leave on my honeymoon, so I asked her if I could wait until I got back to start it.  Which was within a 10 day period.  She said no problem and sent me on my way.  As we were walking out, she told Dr. Wood about my honeymoon and I said that I would start my new routine when I got back.  That pretty much sent him into orbit.  He told me that I make him look bad and that he takes my failure very personally and that I am not the norm as far as his patients go.  This is to be a lifestyle change not a diet (if I could handle a no carb lifestyle, I probably wouldn't have needed the surgery to begin with, but thats beside the point...).   Now my stoma is stretched out and obviously Dr. Wood will not do a revision.  I am pretty bummed that this is going to be my new life.  If I could eat less than I do, it would be a big help.   Please, if you find someone that will do a revision, let me know.  I am now taking steps to fix my situation through diet and exercise, but I will not be able to shrink my stomach on my own. Thanks, and my apologies for the long winded post!

Paula Prichard
on 9/18/06 8:57 am - Kingman, AZ
I don't know why, but I didn't get your message copied to me. Anyway, i called Dr. Wood's office and they told me emphatically that their pouches DO NOT stretch. I did get an Upper GI two weeks ago and it showed that my stoma has totally blown open and I now eat and fill my small bowel....so I am either starving or so full my entire stomach is distended. Nice, huh? I'm scared I'll rupture my intestines or cause some sort of problem. I found a surgeon in Phoenix, AZ who is going to place a Lap Band on the BOTTOM of my tiny pouch to act as the stoma. The Lap Band is normally placed at the top to create a pouch, but since I have a pouch and it is still tiny, they will be putting it on the bottom. I have my consult with him this Friday. Email me if you want the info. :-)

Open RNY 1/24/02               First Post-op Baby: Roman Michael 3/29/06                                    
TT w/ Hernia Repair 7/03     Second Post-op Baby: Aurora Marie 1/15/08
LapBand on Pouch 11/06     Breast Reduction/Thigh Lipo/Brachioplasty 6/08
Most Active