Stoma Injection?

shurwitz
on 9/20/06 1:51 am - Moultrie, GA

Hi Donna, how did your tests turn out? I had my second schlerotherapy treatment on Monday. The doctor says there is some impovement, i.e. some formation of scar tissue that has reduced the stoma somewhat. He also explained that he does this in sections to prevent a stricture where nothing can get through. For instance, the first treatment he injected the diameter of my stoma from 12 oclock to  12:30. Monday he did brom 12:30 to 12:45. In two weeks he is planning on treating the remainder of the stoma. I can tell I have more early satiety and some difference in restriction, but he said this could just be because of swelling following the procedure. The doc says insurance will be more receptive to a revision if I can document that I have exhausted non-surgical alternatives first. Plus, it may just work. I guess I'm playing the wait-and-see game in the meantime.

Oh, you might want to do the cottage cheese test to tell you how big your pouch is now. I did it, and mine was about 7 ounces. The doc says that's withing the normal range for a fully healed and matured pouch. Let me hear what you found out. I'll remember you in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there.

Steven

Donna R.
on 9/20/06 8:59 am - West Chester, Pa
Hi Shurwitz, nice hearing from you-glad that you had the 2nd injection and its over hope it works-prayers are with you. Question if the stoma is open is that where the promblem is and not the pouch or both> What testsdid you have to determine that the stoma was open large??I am going tommoraw for  my upper GI series. I have been crying every day and down in the dumps for gaining 10 pounds back. I have an eating disorder PERIOD. I NEED TO MAKE MY POUCH OR STOMA SMALLER OR SHUT. I really feel if the nurses, dietations, and yes some of the drs were in our bodies for a day they would have  a better understanding of what we are going thru. Four yrs. ago when I had my rny there was no reports of stretched pouches, stomas, weight gain. Now we are hearing it a lot. I would love to hear from anyone in a position like me.                                                        Thanks,   Donna R  Slimss
donna r
shurwitz
on 9/21/06 11:36 pm - Moultrie, GA
Hi Donna, sorry you are feeling so low. All I can say is, be proud of yourself: you have taken a giant step toward addressing your wls concerns by recognizing you have a problem, whether structurally or otherwise.  If your upper GI is a contrast procedure/barrium swallow, it will show if your stoma is dilated - it will show your pouch emptying immediately through the stoma to the intestine area with no delay. If this is the case, it could explain why you have diminished restriction and stay hungry all the time, even a short period after you have just eaten. You can determine your pouch yourself by using the cottage chese test mentioned on these boards.  My doctor was able to determine I had a streched stoma just from an endoscopy. He wants to address that first. Then, he wants to schedule an upper GI to check for any staple line disruptions, etc. Please don't beat yourself up anymore. We're only human, and like you, when I had WLS in 2001 I was led to believe my weight struggle was over for good. Little did we know ... Once you have had your upper GI, at least you will know, hopefully, what you need to do next. Even though I only know you from these boards, I recognize a person of strength and resourcefulness just for acknowledging your probled and your sharing your experience with others. Hang in there - you can do it! Steven
Donna R.
on 9/22/06 2:15 am - West Chester, Pa
Hi Steven, Thanks your reply it helps. Yes I will leave no stone unturned as they say. OK HERES THE PROMBLEM  ------ The Radioligisit that did my upper GI read them with me showed it to me the pouch he said looked liked all the other sizes he had seen--(HE IS NOT A SURGEON)I I asked him about the stoma at first he looked at me confused great I said, but then looking at them again the stoma it seems to be enlarged. He said I AM NOT A BARATRIC SUREGEON. The good advise he gave me was this is your body, tell the doctor what you are feeling, insitist on different tests FIGHT FIGHT he was a doctor ready to retire with a wealth of years, knowledge behind him.I know what I feel hungry all the time. Steven  this may help you I know you live in Ga though but look into it.Dr Christopher C. Thompson M.D. MHES DIRECTOR OF DEVELOOMENTATAL AND BARIATRIC ENDOSCOPY Bringham and Womens Hosp Division of Gastroenterology 75 Francis Street Endoscopy Center Boston, Ma 02115 Call for appts#  617-732-6389 This producure he does is an outpt basis  he will tighten the stoma so the food will not go out so fast. I heard he does not do any thing with the pouch. I am looking into this now.   Donna
donna r
shurwitz
on 9/22/06 2:22 am - Moultrie, GA

Hi Donna, I think you certainly did get some good advice there, at last! And thanks so much for the referral information in Mass. Like you, I'm willing to look into anything and everything to get back in control of my body! Thanks again, and keep me posted. Steven

Most Active