Here we go again - RYN to duodenal switch 2nd revision 3rd times the charm?

nattitude
on 8/10/06 3:53 pm - Houston, TX
Okay I need some help - I was a VBG had severe issues with throwing up got a RYN and threw up less - lost from 365-205 currently at 260. I work out 4-5 times a week, have a personal training, I am eating better and not throwing up since they cut my vagus nerve but I am gaining sooo my doctor suggest a duodenal switch. Checked BMI I am at 41.9 which makes me Extremely Obese (what skinny person made that word). They asked me to write a letter so they can attach with my thick file, I have blue cross blue sheild ppo - 1) Anyone have Blue Cross Blue Sheild PPO that has seeked a revision? 2) Anyone have a nice letter? I am not feeeling creative ....
pepperboy
on 8/15/06 3:07 am - oxnard, CA
You should go on over to the DS forum and ask that ?, there a few people there that have had revisions, I also know that a few people have the same ins. and had it approved, but i don't know the specifics... also try duodenalswitch.com I'm in california and we have here, some of the best DS docs around, Dr's. Rabkin, and now Dr. Husted who was from the south that just joined them and of course my doc... Dr. Ara Keshishian.....Good luck, Annie
Nancy Degenmeister
on 9/9/06 3:55 pm - Bergen County, NJ
Has your surgeon diagnosed a mechanical problem with your RNY? Usually insurance will only pay (in the few cases where it does) for revisions if they're a repair of the existing surgery's mechanical problem. Why has the regain occurred? Is your stoma too large? There are repairs for that... Nancy
(deactivated member)
on 9/12/06 4:07 am - TX
I am a revision patient from failed RNY to DS and I have BCBS National PPO and still have my letter if you still need one. Let me know.
mjgil
on 9/16/06 9:45 am - Chisholm, MN
I am also hopefully having my RNY switched to the DS and have BCBS.  I have been scheduled to have my surgery on October 23, providing that the insurance company goes along with it. I have been dealing with BC on having a revision  for over 1 year now.  They denied my first request to have the revision and then they denied my appeal.  They deemed that it was not medically necessary.  I then went through all of the tests, etc. with the endrocronologist, and he wrote a letter to my doctor recommending that my RNY be revised as that was the problem. Since all of this,  I have now passed out on 3 different occassions due to the hyper hypoglycemia as the endrocronologist calls it.  My endcronologist and my gastric by-pass doctors have resubmitted for the revision and are going to write letters and they told me that I should write a letter also.  I would really appreciate a copy of yours so that I can write the correct things.  Any help that you can give to me would really be appreciated. Thank you so very much. MJ
mjgil
on 9/20/06 10:52 am - Chisholm, MN
I am scheduled for a revision from my RNY to DS on October 23, 2006 at the University Hospital in Minneapolis, MN.  I am now dealing with the insurance company.  I have BCBS and would very much appreciate a copy of your letter.  Thank you so very much.  My email address is [email protected]. Mary Jane G.
Sarahlicious
on 9/13/06 8:06 am - Portsmouth, OH
I have BCBS Highmark and got denied for revision and have a BMI of 51.0, and have not had any regain...just stopped losing down from 462...currently 298. I have to prove there was a complication with the original RNY that is causing the problems now...not just me stretching my pouch and stoma...whatever...grrrr. And they do not cover lapband or DS...but they do cover the treatment of Morbid Obesity including surgery...whatever??? Sarah

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

Most Active