What do I need??

Exhorter
on 7/16/06 8:09 am - Conroe, TX
Ok this is going to sound crazy but I have no clue what type of surgery I had back in 1982. I had my stomach stappled. You know the small pouch with the line of staples. I did everything just as they requested. Three months later they had to go back in and take out my gallbladder. When they went in they repaired what they said to be a tare where they had left the opening. So he put in a ring to help make it stronger. I really don't know anymore than that. But the surgery worked for about 6 months. I lost 80 lbs but it has been over 20 years and I am bigger than I have ever been. My problem is that the doctor who did the surgery had since died and I have no clue how to even get medical infomation about the surgery since it has been so long ago. I know the stapples are still there. Not all I am sure cause my stomach is sooooo stretched out. But when they have done xrays in the past they see the staples. So my question is I don't even know what I need in the way of a revision. Also I don't have a clue if my husbands insurance will cover me. I am on his policy but it is a new policy. I don't know what to ask the insurance company about the coverage cause I do not know what I am in need of. Any one got any answers. The insurance company is United Health Care Inc.
(deactivated member)
on 7/17/06 10:21 am - Plano, TX
Well you're definitely in luck. United Health Care just covered my revision. Sounds like you had the same thing as I did. In 2003, I had the Vertical Banded Gastroplasty. That's where they put a row of staples down, then at the bottom of the staples (the opening into the stomach), they band it to keep the opening from stretching. I lost 90 lbs, then 6 months later, it came undone. I gained back 90% of the weight that I had lost. Your staples may still be there, but you could have a staple line rupture (meaning they're not intact anymore and your food goes through like normal). The only way to tell is if you go and have an upper GI done. My doctor doesn't like to do revisions on people he didn't previously work on. But you can still give him and call and just see. Maybe if you tell him that your doctor has passed away, he would consider it. His name is Stephen Hamn, and he's in Plano, TX. Not sure how far that is from you. If Dr. Hamn won't do it, try his partner, Dr. Cribbins. Both are equally skilled at what they do. I was revised to the RNY (Gastric Bypass) about five weeks ago. I have lost 28.5 lbs, and I'm finally starting to see results again. I truly wish I would have had this procedure the first time. Nevertheless, it's working. Good luck on your second journey. It's definitely worth it!
hansonsb
on 7/28/06 10:28 pm - columbia city, IN
dr huse will do the revision but because of the fail rate from the vbg he want to do a roux-en-y. I have tried to get approved by by insurance for complations of stomach line brak down, stomach infection, epigastric pain, enlarged liver. they say they will cover complations but they is no extenuating cir****tances for this to be medically necessary
Most Active