Revision - RNY to Lap Band

Ronni A.
on 7/9/06 7:10 am - Durham, NC
Hi, I had an RNY Oct 13, 2000 and the hole between the small pouch (mine is still small) and my upper intestense is very big now. My Dr. Has suggested that I get a lap band. Has anyone done this? If so, how much success have you had with it? Around how much does it cost if you are self pay? Thanks for any help you can give me.
melindam2
on 7/13/06 6:15 am - Campbell, CA
Hi, I had an RNY August 1998, and had the same problem as you. I just had a Lap Band put in last week. It is too early to tell how I will do, but my doctor said he has had great results with others he has done. My doctor is in San Jose, CA, and it cost me a total of $19,725. For just a lap band without a revision it would have been $15,000.
Ronni A.
on 7/13/06 1:34 pm - Durham, NC
Hi Melinda, Thank you for writing me back.... I can not wait to see how your revision goes. Why was there an extra charge for the revision? My doctor is just putting in a lap band the same way as he would if I had never had the RNY. It is costing me the same. Why did you have to pay for it yourself? I did not want to wait the 12 months it be on a doctor supervised diet. That is what my insurance required.
melindam2
on 7/14/06 1:31 am - Campbell, CA
Hi Ronni, I am really surprised that it does not cost extra for your revision. The reason it cost more for me is because the surgery takes longer since they need to cut through all the old scar tissue from the RNY before they can place the lap band. It is also more expensive because the regular lap band is done as an outpatient surgery, but for a revision they want you to spend a night at the hospital. My insurance has an exclusion clause for any kind of obesity surgery, which is why I had to pay for it myself. Do you already have a surgery date? Good luck!
Ronni A.
on 7/14/06 6:44 am - Durham, NC
Melinda, My Dr. is doing mine laproscopoly. So there is no cutting. I do have to stay overnight but that is because I also have sleep apnea. I do not have a definate date yet, I am still in the testing stage but we think it is going to be the 1st week in Aug. Good Luck to you too.
Nikki67
on 7/27/06 7:58 am - Louisville, KY
Hey There Melinda: Did you have your revision to LB open or lap? And, do you or anyone else know if having the lap procedure reduces the concerns re: previous surgery scare tissue? Any insight is appreciated.
JRinAZ
on 10/7/06 10:55 am - Layton, UT
HI there, I'm just doing a bit of research on the Lap Band over the Rny revision and noted your potsts.  ....  I"m wondering how you are doing?  Do you mind sharing with me the "stuff" on it all?  Is your feeling of full different now than it was with the Rny?  Do you have more vomitting than you did before?  Have you had a fill yet?  How's it working for you? I don't have my approval or date yet but the doc expects everything to go through easily.  I'm just anxious to get on with it. Thanks! Joyce in az
Most Active