Need Quick Advice re: Doctors and Malabsorption Problem

PatienceVZ
on 7/1/24 11:47 am

Hello!

I am twenty years post roux en y. It has been quite a journey! I have not sought advice, really, until now. I live near Klamath Falls, Oregon. I need to find a medical provider who understands the implications of gastric bypass surgery. In the alternative, I need to know what to tell a "regular" provider, to prompt them to look into my particular cir****tances, and stop treating me like any other 57 year old woman. Any suggestions in either area will be much appreciated!

Backstory: I have, several times since my surgery in 2004, become severely anemic. This condition results in symptoms that I now easily recognize, such as breathlessness, weakness, anxiety, and weird cravings, among others. It took me a number of years, and perhaps seven blood transfusions, to learn that I mus****ch my intake of B-complex, potassium, magnesium and iron, and not drink alcohol (I am twelve years sober now, but that is a story for another time). I have been fine for many years, bit recently began seeing the anemia symptoms returning. I have also been diagnosed, years ago, with heart failure, due to two faulty valves. These do nothing to help. Due to my cir****tances, I have not had access to the supplements I need. I know what is wrong. I simply have no way to purchase the solution.

I have reached a crisis point. I can walk only a few feet, before I must stop to catch my breath. I feel a lot of mental fog. My heart beats very erratically. I confess that I am frightened. So, I went to Urgent Care on Friday, and to the E.R. on Saturday. Both places did the same thing, and gave the same advice. They did an EKG, a chest xray, and a blood panel. All came back "normal." That is, if you consider a hemoglobin count of 10 normal. But, I was at rest, and it is only with mild exertion that my heart begins to dance. They each told me to find a primary care provider, and work with him. Waiting lists here exceed six months.

Today is Monday. On Wednesday I must travel to my son's wedding. Once there, I must somehow be myself. I cannot think how to accomplish this! I cannot even imagine carrying my bag to the train! And, of course, dropping dead during the very formal event will not be appropriate.

What in the world can I do? What can I say to the uninformed practitioners here, to make them understand? I do not drive, and therefore, whatever I do must be done locally.

Your input will be invaluable. Thank you!

White Dove
on 7/2/24 4:06 pm - Warren, OH

You need a hematologist to order iron transfusions for you. My insurance will not pay if I am at 10 or above hemoglobin. Urgent Care is the not going to be able to do that. Hematologists are found at cancer centers. Your ferratin level is probably very low. Perhaps there is someone who can attend the wedding with you and help with your suitcase. I hope you get a referral quickly. After an iron infusion, I feel like the Energizer bunny for a while. I cannot imagine waiting six months for a PCP. Have you checked larger towns in your area?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 7/3/24 3:25 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Have they checked your ferritin? That's a critical test for us.

You absolutely need to take your supplements, especially iron. There's just no alternative. You need to find a way, or you'll be struggling with poor health for the rest of your life.

The best iron supplement, by far, is Profferin, which is a heme iron. You really need to do this.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Recent Topics
What's on your July 4 Menu?
Queen JB · 5 replies · 104 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 312 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 308 views