Protein and Carbohydrates for a 5 year post op Gastric Bypass Patient?

danny7995
on 8/2/17 1:30 pm - Midville, GA

Hi I was wondering I am 5 years post op and am wondering what should my protein intake be per day in grams and what should my carbohydrate intake be per day in grams? Thanks for your help. I have regained 70 lbs over the past 2 years and I am trying to get back on track. Thanks again. God bless!

mirandaF
on 8/2/17 1:51 pm
RNY on 08/07/17

I personally have not had my RNY yet (that comes august 7th) But I suggest to read through peoples posts. I find that the common factor is higher protein lower carbs. Many stick to around 30 carbs/day and others I have seen go as high as 70. I think it really all boils down to what your body will end up wanting. For me, I know that higher protein, around 100 and low carbs (40 or less) will be what my body will want (just from the diets I have done before and know what works, I just could not maintain that because my calories would only get up to about 800 so I was always hungry). Also look at the food people eat on a day to day basis to (there is usually a forum post each day). They have great ideas, and will be a big help to planning your meals.

Good luck on loosing those 70 lbs and I hope the best for you.

italianspice
on 8/2/17 2:09 pm - Eastlake, OH

Hi Danny!

I am 7 years out and have struggled with regain off and on for several years.

Start off by searching this site for back on track, there are several great articles.

As for protein and carbs, everybody is different, you have to figure out what works best for you.

When I seem to follow the rules my surgeon gave me, my tool seems to start working again,

so it's

no liquid 30 minutes or after a meal

Protein first, then some veggies on the side

Making sure I am drinking atleast 64oz liquids a day

And the most helpful thing for me has been tracking my food. Helps me to stop mindlessly eating

The most important thing you have already done, is realizing that you need to get back on track! Kudos to you. Its a journey.

As for me, th regain is very slowly coming off, but I didnt gain 32 pounds over night either.

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

ScaleSkater
on 8/2/17 2:42 pm

Is seeing a bariatric nutritionist an option to get a proper eval? My range is 85 to 100 g for protein (set for me by NUT). I'm 5'8''. They said my goal will not change over time for protein as it was set for my goal weight of 165. No carb goal though I try to stay under 50 and even shoot for well below. I eat nuts, dairy and small amount of veg. which makes up most of my carbs.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

White Dove
on 8/3/17 5:54 am - Warren, OH

At five years out, your macros are no different than a person who never had surgery.

Go to the site If It Fits Your Macros, iifym.com

Put in your information and it will tell you the recommended protein, carbs, fat, fiber and calories for you to get back to your goal weight.

Tracking calories is the most important thing you can do to lose weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Dcgirl
on 8/3/17 7:41 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

How interesting...I have never heard of that site! I filled in all of my information and it says I need 140 g of protein a day! I don't think I could ever get that much. I'm sort of intrigued by how they calculate. Regardless, I'm with you...eating protein forward and counting calories is the way to go, in response to the original poster. The first five days will suck since your head will want crackers or popcorn or toast or whatever else contributed to your 70 lbs weight gain, but you can lose weight if you go back to dense protein (I can certainly eat a hell of a smaller portion of dense protein than I can of carby slider food!) and you get the majority of your calories from protein, with some veggies and healthy fats (nuts, avocado, etc.). Good luck!

Queen JB
on 8/4/17 4:44 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Mine seem off of what I expected, too (protein seems right, but much higher carb and calories than I expected), but since I am really struggling to find the right balance in maintenance, I am going to give it a go for a week and see what happens. I even said I wanted to lose 5lbs, and the numbers came out this high!

Mine are:

Calories: 1182 / Protein:103 / Fat: 53 / Carbs: 75

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Dcgirl
on 8/4/17 5:58 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Mine are absurdly high - granted, I weigh more than you but it gives me almost 2,000 calories, 140 protein, 190 carbs!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 400 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 281 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 334 views
What?s on tap for your Sunday?