Found A Website About WLS Stuff.

Watson
on 6/23/13 5:06 am, edited 6/23/13 5:15 am
VSG on 06/08/10 with

I was looking around on google for other websites about Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) and came across this website called: http://www.wlshelp.com. It looks okay, well informed and educational about WLS. I think it's something to look at if you are Pre-Op or Post-Op.

I just wanted to share this on OH.com.

Highest Weight: 565 pounds (around 1999), Highest BMI: 94

Pre-op Weight: 476.40 pounds (2 weeks before {05/25/2010} VSG surgery), Pre-op BMI: 79.3

Lowest Weight: 153.5 pounds (as of 07/10/2013), Lowest BMI: 25.5

Current Weight: 350.75546 pounds (351 lb 0 oz./159.1 kilograms (as of 04/22/2019), Current BMI: 58.3

poet_kelly
on 6/23/13 6:45 am - OH

Among other misinformation, the site says to avoid carbonated drinks because they can cause "enlargement of the stomach pouch."  When I see blatantly incorrect info like that, I immediate doubt the veracity of any other info given on a site.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Watson
on 6/23/13 7:00 am
VSG on 06/08/10 with
poet_kelly
on 6/23/13 7:02 am - OH

Actually, any surgeon or dietician that understands the laws of physics would know carbonated drinks can NOT stretch the pouch.  How could they?  There is an opening at the top of the pouch where the esophagus connects and liquids/food enters the pouch and another opening at the bottom (called the stoma) where the small intestine connects and foods/liquids leave the pouch.  Liquids only stay in the pouch a moment since there is no pyloric valve to keep them in, and with two openings, how could pressure from the carbonation build up enough to stretch the pouch?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Watson
on 6/23/13 7:14 am
VSG on 06/08/10 with
poet_kelly
on 6/23/13 7:15 am - OH

How can the gas expand the stomach when there are TWO openings in it from which the gas can escape?

Watson
on 6/23/13 7:19 am
VSG on 06/08/10 with
poet_kelly
on 6/23/13 7:48 am - OH

I did talk to my dietician, who agreed that it would be physically impossible for it to stretch the pouch.  I get my info from pros, too.  but I only accept their info if it makes sense.  If it defies the laws of physics, I question it.

Watson
on 6/23/13 7:59 am
VSG on 06/08/10 with
PetHairMagnet
on 6/23/13 8:51 am
RNY on 05/13/13

My doctor, nutritionist and bariatric support contact at the hospital all agree with Kelly and her dietician.

The concern that each expressed though, is that: A) soda is not nutritious in any cir****tance B) can be an extension of the sugar addiction for many and C) that lots of folks will waste calories on non-diet soda vs. nutritious foods/drinks.

They ask that you drink no soda, but not because of pouch stretching, but rather the reasons listed above.

If your stomach was a sealed environment, then sure. But put a balloon on the top of a 2 liter bottle of soda and cut off the top 1/2 inch of the balloon. Then shake that bottle up and see how much you inflate the balloon. Answer: Not one bit. There is a hole that allows the carbonation (gasses) to escape. Just like your esophagus would.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 119 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.