This and That and such

DeannaE
on 12/5/12 2:40 am - PA

Hello everyone!

I was just reading Donna's post about the lack of movement on the PA board. I just started coming here probably about 5-6 months ago. I wont go into my life story here as everyone is welcome to add me as a friend and read my daily, or not so daily, blogs..HAHA. I am currently in month 3 of the 6 month required supervised diet by my ins. I have posted before to try and see if there were people close to me so that we might be able to plan a weekend lunch some place close to meet and socialize, but no response. I come here to try and get some advice on things. As I am typing this I know I am thinking of things to say or want to say but my thoughts are escaping me.

I seem to find that there are not many active people on this board from my side of the state. All the event meetings listed on the PA forum home page are for out on the east side. I just feel kind of left out over here as there is nothing for us over here to do.

I really wish there was a good app for my phone so that I can keep up to date with that. For some reason my home computer wont let me type blogs. I dont know..it is Windows 8 and I am still learning. I always have my cell so i wish there was a better app...

OK back to work..UGH.

Deanna

Deanna
Starting my Supervised Diet on 10/19/12; One-on-one Scheduled: 11/01/12
Consult with doctor:11/19/12
Starting Weight:240

musicaldonna
on 12/5/12 3:04 am - PA

Deanna,

Sorry that you are on the western side of the state.  There used to be some people on here from that part.  Did you try the Ohio board or another state closer to you?  Geography is not my strong subject.  I know that being connected to someone in person is important.  Does your hospital have a support group?  Is it possible you might be able to find some people there who live closer to you?  Sorry that I can't be more help but that's the best that I got today.  Good luck with your search.  Take care.

Donna

DeannaE
on 12/5/12 3:23 am - PA

I didnt try the Ohio boards yet. That might be an idea. My hospital does have a support group and i do attend. Right now the only ones in attendance are people that are not near me. Hopefully that will change. I did attend an initial Info Group where the one woman that was there was someone I knew, but sadly I had to leave before the session was done and I really dont have her phone number. My Sis-in-law was interested in going that time with me but was sick and didnt want to get anyone else sick in the group. so I am waiting for her to get her butt back down there to start her 6 months, if she even needs that, so we can have each other. I have been pushing her to get down there for the session cause that is the only way to start your process. She was telling me that she definitely wants the RNY but she just seems stuck. I am not sure if it is because of her current situation with her surgeries or what. She just went through a surgery to fuse parts of her spinal column together. She is currently on disability as she was hurt on the job. 

Anywho, I will start to try to become more active here as everyone here has already had there WLS and is on the losers bench.

I am hoping that once my 6months is done that waiting for the ins co approval isnt too much longer.

I am in my 3rd month now. I just had 4 tests yesterday and I feel like a pincushion. LOL.  

Deanna
Starting my Supervised Diet on 10/19/12; One-on-one Scheduled: 11/01/12
Consult with doctor:11/19/12
Starting Weight:240

Laureen S.
on 12/5/12 4:12 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Deanna,

I do know how you feel as when I was in the earlier stages of this journey, I was pointed in the direction of the PA Forum, which was, at that time, extremely active.  However, it's been almost six years for me since I began posting on here and people have a way of moving away from the forum and more into active participation in living, at least I think that is the case. . .  there is also the Facebook way to life these days, though, while I do participate on there, I don't want my facebook friends to be so numerous that I can't keep on top of those I truly wish to read about and so I keep it to just the closest to me.  What Donna suggested is a good idea. 

There are also forums related to your age group on here as well as other forums (I know little about), but I do participate on a forum related to people of my own age group and subsequently have actually met people from all around the US of A and established some good friendships with a group of women from that site, we periodically gather at one place or another throughout the country for a weekend of friendship and we offer each other support through a group we have created our own web address for.

I tell you all this as a way to give you ideas. . . when I first came here it was to gather info and gain insight into what lie ahead, now it is more about trying to share some of what I've learned along the way with others who have come after, but I must admit I don't post nearly as I once did and I can tell you this, people do come by to look, so if you have questions, please feel free, someone will get back to you at some point.  The other idea I have is, why not try to start your own support group, via the doctor/surgeon's office where you are a participant. 

If you search Facebook, there are people out there as well. . .  you can set your privacy settings, via a group, or even create a separate Facebook page just related to support for your journey, so as not to let the whole world in on your business, if that is an issue for you.

I wish you well as you continue your journey towards what will hopefully be a more fully engaged life.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

IdaMae D.
on 12/5/12 7:11 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Hi Deanna;

Welcome to the PA board!

Ida

IdaMae

Sara E.
on 12/6/12 1:47 pm - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
Deanna,
There is no one on the boards near me either (central Pa) but I lurk and post occasionally. A lot of friends here have been there for me on my journey like Lisa (love ya) and Nicole, Steffi, Cherish, Liz, Tanya, Lois and Karen among many others. Heck- I love ya all Hopefully like me you will post, join in and get the support you need to help you succeed. I was lucky enough to meet most of these folks at the oh event in NY and on a horse riding afternoon a year or so back. Wow- those were fun times. The board has had it's highs and lows in the 3+ years I have been around. I am hoping it picks back up. I miss the banter and camaraderie we used to share. I wish you much success as you begin your journey. Stick to the basics and you will do great!
- Sara

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views