Is there hope for the PA Board

musicaldonna
on 12/2/12 12:54 am - PA

Happy December everyone!

The lack of activity on the PA board for the last few months has me very upset.  When I first was looking at WLS I would come her and just read everyone's posts.  Gradually I became more active until now it looks like I am one of the more active participantsindecision  I never thought that this would be the case.  There are times that I get discouraged if I post and I only get a few responses.  I even look to see how many views my post got and wonder what is wrong with me that only a few people thought to write.  That is my disease talking.  I can only be responsible for myself and do what I feed I need to do.  I enjoyed reading about people's lives here - Ida, Trish, Laureen, Beth V., Lisa,  and so many others - I am just blanking out on names right now. 

I know that many people have moved on with their live.  We all need to do what is right for us.  I just know that this board was a lifeline for me in so many ways these past 3 years that I think it would be a shame for it to die.  I'm sorry if I am being a little dramatic but that is how I feel for today.  Some of you I have never met and yet I feel that I know you and hope that you have come to know me a little better.  These are just my thoughts for today and I hope that I have not offended anyone.  I wish everyone a happy holiday season - Hanukkah, Christmas etc.  May you all continue to be blessed with many graces.  Take care.

Donna

IdaMae D.
on 12/2/12 8:20 am - Philadelphia, PA

Hi Donna!

I have two things going on with my lack of posting.  The first is my life after graduation has become so busy that I just don't have the time to get on line prior to running out the door in the morning for work and cannot get onto OH from work anymore.  Being able to post from work was extremely helpful for me when I was running late.  I would love to have the time to post like I used to, life has changed so drastically for me.  I am hoping that once my life both at home and at work settle down I will be able to work OH back into my life on a more frequent level.  Facebook has also sort of replaced OH in many ways. 

Ida

IdaMae

IdaMae D.
on 12/2/12 9:02 am - Philadelphia, PA

Hi Donna!

I'm still out here although these days more a lurker than a poster.

I thought life in school was crazy busy, since graduation, life is so crazy busy I sometimes wonder when I'm going to have time to rest kiss

Our house is getting closer to completion - the legal stuff is ongoing.

I try to get on here most mornings prior to flying out the door late for work, as you can see my attempts to get on are slim to none.  It was so much nicer when I was able to access OH from work, when they upgraded our computer systems - OH was no longer accessible.  The first Saturday meetings again I have all the good intentions of getting there - however life manages to get in the way. 

I also wonder if having Gene here with me makes me lazy in going outside the house for support....the things that make you go hhhhhmmmmm.....

I do read OH when I arrive home from work, most of the time I do not post, what is the sense of posting so late - at least that is my thought.  My thoughts could be inaccurate....

Ida

IdaMae

Laureen S.
on 12/2/12 9:37 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

Hi Donna,

I think FB has taken it's toll on this board and sadly, like you, I have often taken it personal, when in fact I know better, when no one responds to my posts, especially when I used to see how many people looked at other posts and so it's made me feel as though I don't want to take the time to post here anymore.  Though the other part of it is that my life is busier now then ever and so I try to peek in to see if there is anything I can offer the new person who happens by and needs some answers.  It saddens me, as part of the reason I landed on the PA board was that the NJ board was like the PA board has now become and someone suggested I might want to try this one, however, I also feel that so long as we check in and see if someone needs some information, based on our own personal experiences, that is good enough.

It's good to care and perhaps we just need to monitor things and stay in touch in the way we can.

Hugs, Laureen

P.S.  It was great seeing you on Saturday

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Patricia R.
on 12/2/12 11:31 pm - Perry, MI

Hi Donna,

I feel as you do at times.  When I came here six years ago, it was very active, and now, it's so slow.  I will try to be more active, even though I am moving to Michigan at the end of the month.  

I hope you don't give up on the PA board.  I know I won't.  This board was my lifeline for a long time.

Hugs,

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

bvohl
on 12/3/12 8:42 am
Donna,

I am here but not as much as I used to be. I have been in my own little world, especially since losing my mom. I just don't feel the same about this board as I did. It also saddens me that this board is not as active. I also take it personally when I have posted and only a few have responded.

I will try to get on here but the next couple of weeks are going to be very busy with my concert and such....

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season and cherish what is really important in our lives!!

Love, Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Nicole0216
on 12/6/12 9:52 am - Lancaster, PA

Donna I am sorry that the lack of activity on this board is causing you pain and anxiety. I agree that Facebook has taken over in alot of ways I am friends with many people from here on Facebook and I am able to choose who I keep up with more specifically on that site. I also do still believe that there are many of us that will probably not use this board for the same type of support that we once did due to the break down of trust etc that has happened in various ways outside of the board. But that is ok. Many of us have moved on and do get our support from different people and in different arenas.  There are some other issues as well that many of the programs do not seem to promote OH. The two programs here in Lancaster rarely promote OH much less the PA board itself as a place to go and get support. I find that to be unfortunate.

I do think that this board could be active again and thrive again but what I think will need to happen is that a new generation of pre and post ops will need to take up the torch and make it a active supportive interactive board again. It is harder for us " old heads" to keep it going as we have moved on in many ways. I myself am 6 years out so I admit this is not the first place I think to come to and I often go weeks without checking in. I have found it to be remarkable that posts routinely have over 100 views but there are so few actual posts. So that shows me that this board is very active, but that it seems active with viewers and not posters. Maybe we could encourage some of the lurkers to come out and join in? In the mean time I hope you can still find some peace and support and I am sorry it is not what it once was. I am sad about that as well.

I always appreciate your posts when I do check in and I am sorry if I have let you down.

musicaldonna
on 12/7/12 2:43 am - PA

Nicole,

Please don't apologize for anything.  When I first came here I appreciated your postings because of your honesty.  I am not privy to a lot of the drama that occurred here and for that I am grateful.  As I said before, I am not a Facebook person so this really was the forum for me to know what was going on in people's lives.  I have no intention of going on Facebook - I have enough on my plate right now.  I also agree that a new group of pre and post ops will need to step up to the plate in order for the board to become more alive.  Real life is more important than the cyber world but I will always be grateful that I got to know some special people on this board even though I never had the opportunity to meet them IRL.  I hope that all is going well for you Nicole and that you have a good holiday season.  It is always great to see you when you get on the board.  TAke care.

Donna

Maura M.
on 12/10/12 11:28 am - Yardley, PA

Donna,

I haven't been on in quite some time, mostly because life has become "normal" and I've made the new lifestyle part of my life and have been doing well.  But I will say that I was honestly glad to see you call this out in a post, because it is sad to see how the board has changed even in the topics posted.  Mostly roll calls  - representing the last 50% of the posts.  Not as much of the weight loss / maintenance related struggles / food and workout posts, thoughts, ideas, helping others through tough times with an element of trust is fractured and I agree with Nicole,  this will pass.  I'm coming up on 3 years in a few days and don't feel that this is the same place to share my successes and struggles anymore and have been "unfriended" in the facebook world without any explanation of what my specific offenses were.  So, coming here is not the safe place for me due to an act that made me feel unwelcome here and post sparingly.  This is also why I don't go to Barix anymore.  I will be honest that I miss it and miss this board, but I have found a few very close friends that provide me the wls support I need, are compliant, are succeeding, and are accountable and that is where I turn or support when I need it. 

I probably come on here once every few months now and have posted when I have come on.  I don't comment on everything when I come on, but usually do post on at least 1 thing when I'm on. 

As always, I wish nothing but success to all on this board and thank you for calling this out Donna.  I hope you are well.

xoxo,

Maura

Maura

musicaldonna
on 12/11/12 9:34 pm - PA

Maura,

You have been on my mind a lot recently and I am glad that you posted.  How did your trip go?  I'm happy that life is going well for you at close to 3 years out and that you have a good support group in place.  We all need to do what we can ensure that the successing continues.  As I have stated many times - I am not a Facebook person nor do I intend to become one.  So sorry about the "unfriending" that took place.  The one thing that I need to realize is that there are safe, healthy people in every way of life and also unsafe, unhealthy people.  I work hard to surround myself with those people who provide that positive energy for me because God knows I can give enough of that negative energy myself.  

Best wishes for a joyous, peaceful holiday filled with family, friends and good times.  Take care.

Love, Donna 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views