Scary odds. . .

Laureen S.
on 10/8/12 11:49 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Many of you know that I am often very outspoken on a certain topic, that being Alcoholism. . .  I wish to put this out there because I feel that there is more going on then people readily admit to.  Recently someone I know and care about went for treatment, while they were in treatment there were 8 out of 24 people who were also in treatment and they were all post-WLS patients. . .

People this is no joke, there are physiological changes that go along with how our bodies process alcohol, making us more subject than others to becoming alcoholic.  What you need to realize is that many surgeons up until now have only give this a cursory glance, telling us about the possibility of transfer of addiction, but until recently, it would appear there was not enough evidence on the statistics.  Our population has grown over the past decade and so information on this is just really beginning to surface. . .  but think of the odds, 8 out of 24 people in treatment. . .  that is one-third, which to me are pretty scary odds, not to mention the fact that many are not in treatment but are living their lives on the edge of disaster because they don't realize they have this going on. . . 

Please if you do drin****asionally, just be smart and stay aware of the facts. . .  we don't metabolize alcohol the way a normal body does, so a little gets us going and the effects also leave quickly, enabling us to create an environment for dependency over time. . .  another fact is that you can be stone cold sober but could fail a sobriety check, as it does not really leave our system and registers 3x higher than the normal person.

I am not saying you will become an alcoholic, but you need to be aware of the dangers of such a thing given our changed bodies.  Besides, alcohol is a lot of sugar and empty calories to boot. . .  If you are having an problem, don't hide from it, get help, there are many people ready to help you through it.  There is no shame in admitting to having a problem and do it before you lose all that you value!

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

jackie M.
on 10/9/12 5:50 am - Sunbury, PA
RNY on 10/10/12

I do not plan on drinking alcohol...  

I have fatty liver from the non-alcohol side.  I am NOT willing to put my life in danger with having the possibility of fatty liver from alcohol.  I am getting a 2nd chance at LIFE and I am not going to blow it.  

HW 284.5, SW 247, GW 140       

KatMom
on 10/9/12 7:11 am
RNY on 07/24/12
I used to drink socially when I was much younger. Shortly before surgery I could only drink 1 wine cooler or so and I would feel so sick. So I just stopped with alcohol totally. Post-op I'm thankful its something I do not miss.
 He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.  ~Friedrich Nietzsche 

Nicole0216
on 10/9/12 9:40 am - Lancaster, PA
Thank you for sharing this. It is very serious. I hope that your friend is ok and finding their way.
cleos_mom
on 10/9/12 10:31 pm - phila., PA
Laureen , it is wonderful that you can speak of this openly from your experience . A very good friend of mine just recently had issues with this and she never really drank in YEARS. Until post op , it mostly starts with wine, cause some people don't consider that alcohol it's a dinner drink, HA it will get you hooked, I think wine is the worst and aside from the alcohol addiction it is the BIGGEST culprit of weight regain, "empty calories" and just because u stop doesn't mean the weight comes off that easily
Susan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views