TGIF!!! Roll call

Laureen S.
on 10/4/12 8:36 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Good Morning PA!!!

Hope you all have a most wonderful day, after all it is Friday!  I am about to get ready for work, after work, going to an AA meeting, then home to rest as tomorrow I hope to see a good number of people at Barix's support group!

Sending out loving thoughts to Beth and wishing anyone facing challenges all that they need to get through them.

Have a wonderful day!

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

bvohl
on 10/4/12 11:34 pm
Good Morning Laureen and PA

Thank you so much for your loving thoughts and support! It is so appreciated!!

The service for my mom was a beautiful tribute to her and our family. I was so proud of my nephew(who is a Rabbi) for leading part of the service. Both my niece and nephew found friends to come from NY to be pall barers and enough for a minyon prayer at graveside. My daughter was AMAZING through the whole service. She helped put dirt in my mom's grave which is something I totally did not expect her to do!

I will be sitting shiva at my house tomorrow night after sundown, Sunday from 12-9 and Monday 12-9 for anyone who would like to come.

My address is: 1055 Bolton Court Bensalem, PA 19020

My mom is at peace and we no longer have to suffer seeing her so sick.

Thank you again!!

Love, Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Lisa H.
on 10/5/12 1:58 am - Whitehall, PA
Much love and hugs.. Dee is a strong girl and she wanted to be a part of the ritual.  That is something she can keep with her memories of her grandmother.  She did a huge mitzvah.  

Let me know your plans for tomorrow during the day so I can figure out what I am doing.  I will definitely be there for you.  I have to pick up Siehara around 4:30 in Yardley, but anytime from about 10:00am on, I'm yours for anything you need. 

My tracker

hers 

musicaldonna
on 10/5/12 7:29 am - PA
Beth,

This is the first that I had heard about your mom's passing.  I know that it is a relief for you that she is no longer in pain and distress.  I am glad that the service was meaningful for you.  I am not surprised that Dee was amazing - just look at her mom - and as the saying goes - "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree".  You have been on my mind and in my prayers.  I will continue to send good thoughts your way.  Take good care of yourself.

Donna 
Lisa H.
on 10/5/12 2:08 am - Whitehall, PA
 Morning all... love and hugs to the entire Vohl family.

Working both jobs today and fighting a chest cold.  It seemed to be worse yesterday, but it's still there.. yummy.. lol.. taking mucinex and praying it doesn't stick around too long.

Siehara enjoyed her birthday dinner with her friends last night.  She was a little distant after we got home and she asked to be alone for awhile.  I know she and her friends were talking about something and she did say that she wanted to think about some things.  I asked her if it was related to what was said and she said yes.  She also confirmed that it had nothing to do with her, so I am going to let it go as normal teen stuff and assured her that if she wants to talk to me about it, she can.  

She stayed home from school today.  Apparently she also has a cold.  She said she woke up in the middle of the night and threw up and couldn't sleep.  She told me on Wednesday that she wasn't feeling well and I made her go to school.  I let her stay home today since she has a Bat Mitzvah to go to tomorrow and I want her to be well for it.  She is doing really well in all of her classes, so I'm not too worried.  

Anyway, rambling on and on... tomorrow I will drive Siehara to the Bat Mitzvah in Yardley and will spend the day with Beth until I have to pick her up.  Then we are going to go to IKEA to check out bedroom furniture.  That is her birthday present and is MUCH needed.  Hopefully we'll find something for her there.  I think she'll like the quirky stuff they have there.  

That's it for me.. relaxing Sunday after a busy Saturday and then back to synagogue Monday and Tuesday for more of the fall holiday season.

My tracker

hers 

Patricia R.
on 10/5/12 10:20 am - Perry, MI
 Good Evening Laureen and PA,
Beth, I'm glad your Mom's services were special for you and your daughter.  I'm not familiar with the throwing of the dirt in the grave.  With my father, and both brothers' grave side services, the funeral directors gave each person a rose from the flower arrangements that were at the grave, and after the pastor said a few words, and read some Scriptures, Taps was played at my Dad's and younger brother's grave side, and the flag folded by the military personnel, and given to my Mom.  Then the prayer was prayed.  One by one people laid their rose on the casket, and slowly returned to their cars.  Mom and my sister and sister-in-law were the last to walk away.  

I had an insanely busy day.  Tomorrow will prove to be similar.  I had physical therapy, so I couldn't get to my AA meeting.  Not sure about tomorrow either.  

Must get going.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Lisa H.
on 10/5/12 1:38 pm - Whitehall, PA
 Hi Trish, let me help shed some light on the Jewish tradition.  Putting dirt on the grave is symbolic of not letting anything left undone.  It's also the last showing of paying respect to the dead.  In my congregation, we first put some on the back of the shovel (represents the reluctance of doing it) and then you use the main part of the shovel and fill it more.  Tradition has the family doing it first, followed by other members of the congregation and the clergy.  Depending on who is graveside, often the congregation will do the majority of the work, leaving only the bare minimum to the "strangers" who work at the cemetery.  

Here is a link that tells a bit more about the tradition.  www.myjewishlearning.com/life/Life_Events/Death_and_Mourning/Burial_and_Mourning/Graveside_Service/Filling_the_Grave.shtml

I also included this link which gives more about Jewish customs for death and mourning.  There is reference the Chevra Kadisha committee.  I am honored to be on this committee in my community.  It is truly a humbling experience.
jewish-funeral-home.com/Jewish-burial-customs.html

My tracker

hers 

Patricia R.
on 10/5/12 2:21 pm - Perry, MI
Lisa,
Thank you so much for educating me on the Jewish funeral.  I have always thought that having the funeral soon after the passing of a loved one, and sitting Shiva, was more to my liking than the way my church's customs have been.  I truly was unaware that they lowered the coffin into the ground and threw dirt on it.  It does seem that it would definitely help give closure.

I appreciate your kindness in sending me the links.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

cleos_mom
on 10/5/12 12:43 pm - phila., PA
Beth, I m so sorry to hear of your Moms passing,
Susan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA