Crosspost: Continuing the thought on yesterday's

Laureen S.
on 7/24/12 11:14 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

Did you read yesterday's quote?  (If you don't like your life when you're losing weight you're going to gain it back! --Yoni Freedhoff)

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 02:18 AM PDT

And did you take it to heart??

One of the speeches I routinely give new members to the FC is,

"No matter how technically great of a  training routine I develop for you, if you hate it, you won't do it.  And if you don't do it, you won't get results.  Which means I haven't helped you find the right program."

Great on paper doesn't get results.

Great when it comes to execution does.

Give some thought to the last set of health behavior/weight management changes you made.

Did you hate them (and consequently stop doing them)?

Did you like them well enough but find they didn't really work when you tried to fit them into the larger picture of your life (and consequently stop doing them)?

We've all put the hammer down before and lost weight.....and then gained it back because keepin' the hammer down is too much work!

Isn't it time to stop?  Isn't it time to start trying to figure out when you're physically hungry? Or when you're just eating because you're bored, stressed, or think you should?

Sometimes, I think we're like spoiled kids because we throw a mental fit everytime we want an ice cream but tell ourselves we can't have one.  We whine, cry, moan, mope, and generally are such brats to be around, we end up giving in to the demanding child-self.

It's time to find a better solution -- one you can live with (and, dare I say it.....even like!).

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

LisaAC
on 7/25/12 2:21 am - Philadelphia, PA
Good stuff!

I have accepted that I am, at heart, a Foodie.  And I've turned this into a good thing to make it work for me.  I love good food - shopping for it, preparing it, eating it, sharing it.  So...why shouldn't I? 

I tried to treat food as a mere necessity, taste not required.  I found that I accepted very few invitations to socialize.  Yes, I got fitter, but something was missing.  And I eventually found myself craving junk food.

Now, I enjoy figuring out menus that are healthy and tasty for both of us, shopping for gorgeous ingredients at farm markets, using my kitchen toys (always a thrill!), and sharing my creations with my husband and with friends. 

And when I walk into a store and come out without any junk, I tell myself, "I won!"

Lisa

"The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become."
Laureen S.
on 7/25/12 3:47 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Lisa,

Like you, I, too, am a foodie and love the challenge of creating something tasty and healthy in the kitchen, a challenge that really isn't much of one, if you are open to trying different things and like to cook.  I have learned to shop the perimeter of the supermarket, try to get fresh veggies at market or produce junction and/or growing some of my own and truthfully, for the most part I do that well, knowing that most of the things I need are in those areas.  I have always been a good cook, or so people have always told me (a little humility here (lol)) and have recreated most of what I once ate into healthier style eats that I love to share with my friends and family. 

However, what I still have to maintain is measuring out proper portion sizes, because while I can only eat but so much at a time, I have overeaten many times or too many times during one day and that is where some of my regain came from, that along with slacking on the exercise.  Even good for you food, will put pounds on if overeaten. . .

But like you, no junk in my cart is a win. . .

Glad you are jumping in here!

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views