Favorite Post-op Moments?

LisaAC
on 7/24/12 4:24 am - Philadelphia, PA
I feel like sharing and reading cheery memories today! 

One of my favorite memories is of walking into a favorite clothing store and looking at the plus sizes.  The saleswoman was looking at me oddly, I thought, and she eventually came over to me.

She asked, "Can I help you?"

I told her I was just looking for a new top or two.

She said, "For yourself?"

"Yes," I said.

She explained that this was the plus size dept and I should be looking upstairs at the "normal" sizes.  I looked at her like she was out of her mind.

She said, "Honey, this stuff is too big for me and you're a lot smaller than I am!"

Wow...really?  Maybe I needed a new mirror...or maybe just a new way of looking at it.

Tentatively, I climbed the escalator to the "normal" sizes.  Again, I caught a saleswoman watching me.  I was really embarrassed, figuring she was probably wondering what this fat woman was doing upstairs...finally she spoke.

Pointing, she said, "The petite sizes are over here."

Again...wow...I was floating!  I want to feel that again and I am determined, pain and illness be damned!

Anyone else want to share a favorite moment, memory, highlight, "wow" with us?

Lisa

lynnc99
on 7/24/12 8:05 am
 There are so many!

The first time I pulled a pair of jeans up past my knees. 

Many shopping moments like you described - actually feeling afraid that a sales person might come up and ask me why on earth I was shopping in the "normal" sizes. 

When I tell new acquaintances that I have lost quite a bit of weight, they react with disbelief. What? I don't look like a "formerly fat" person?

Realizing that my shoes are too big.

Having TSA comment when they look at my drivers license picture - this has happened more than once!
Patricia R.
on 7/24/12 11:05 am - Perry, MI
Hi,
Shopping for jeans the first time post-op and fitting in a normal size.  Weighing in before my hernia surgery, and being under 200 pounds.  Not needing a seatbelt adaptor on the airplane.  Best of all, dancing with my son at his wedding, and him telling me I looked beautiful.

I've since had a regain, but I am back to losing again.  

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Laureen S.
on 7/24/12 11:01 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Lisa,

Great idea!!!  and like others have said, there are many. . .

First one was realization I did not have to lift my butt up to put my car seat belt on, along with being able to use a regular bath towel wrapped around my body. . . 

Clothing wise, trying on a size 12 cordoury jeans in JCPenney and having them fit, I cried with joy. . .closing out my Lane Bryant and Avenue accounts. . .

Best one that stands out is the wedding I attended of my sister from another Mother's son in December of 2008, where her sister-in-law came by the table we were sitting at to say her goodbyes, she gave me her hand and said, I don't know you, but nice to see you and goodnight. . .  I looked at her and said, Gina, it's me, Laureen, her mouth literally dropped wide open, as she responded I absolutely did not recognize you, you look amazing. . . also at that same wedding, a neighbor of my SFAM at the coffee bar also saying that he spent most of the wedding wondering who was that sitting with Jeanne at the table, until finally he asked his wife and she told him who I was. . .

Then two weeks ago, my son was showing my 14 yo granddaughter pictures from when their old home was being built and there I was, as I used to look, well Lisa, funny thing is, I've been feeling bad about my regain (25 lbs. in total), but when I looked at that picture, I had a new appreciation for how far I've come, the funny thing is I remember thinking how good I looked in that outfit I was wearing in the picture he had. . . so even this far away, I can be WOWed by the fact that I have this amazing life due to WLS and that while, not unlike many of us, I've had some regain, I am using my tool to my benefit and have lost a few of those 25 lbs. that I regained and now hope to lose 16 lbs. to achieve my ideal, for me, weight!

Thanks for making a trip down memory lane enjoyable!!!

You can and will get to where you want to, you have the tool!

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

LisaAC
on 7/25/12 1:22 am - Philadelphia, PA
Such wonderful moments, All!  Thanks for sharing them!

Lisa

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views