Hypoglycemia quandary and question

ladychief231
on 7/11/12 10:16 pm - Douglassville, PA
Good Morning PA,

I'm one of the old timers who mostly trolls OH these days but I have an issue that I have been battling a while and wanted to put it out there for feedback. I struggle with reactive hypoglycemia. I've read all that I could read (I think) on the condition so I know that I need to have a balance of carb and protein with meals. Here is the new twist of late. I've been trying to lose a few pounds so I've changed up my breakfast meal. Typically I would have a thin with PB or an english muffin with PB at 5:30 AM then around 7:30 I have a chobani. The last week and a half, instead of the muffn/PB I've been having a protein shake on my way to work (6AM). By the time I arrive at work at 7AM my sugar is crashing, today it is 66, Monday it was 39. I guess what I am wondering is why a protein shake for breakfast is no longer enough until my next morning snack?

Thanks for reading and your comments in advance.

Best,
Teresa
Laureen S.
on 7/11/12 10:24 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

Good Morning Teresa,

Glad to see you and I'm wondering what is in the protein shake?  Are you using milk?  perhaps it is too much "sugar" and what I mean is the natural sugar contained in milk, it may spike and crash quickly because it's liquid. . .  however, I'm just thinking out loud and am not qualified here to say one way or another. . . I would stronly suggest, since you are a Barix baby, you call and speak with Elena, the nutritionist; as a Barix patient, you are able to get information whenever you need to.

Other things I'm thinking is that perhaps you need a small bit of carb to go along with the shake to balance it out. 

Many of us suffer with the reactive hypogleymia further out and I strongly suggest that you call and speak with a nutritionist who can help you figure out the right way to go about things.

Wishing you the best, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

jastypes
on 7/11/12 11:09 pm - Croydon, PA
I have RH too, but it only comes if I get too much at one time, and that certainly isn't the case with a protein shake!  My best guess would be that it is not enough, and that it looks like you need to add something so you don't have that drop in sugar.  Isn't that feeling THE WORST?  I like Laureen's advice to call your surgeon or nutitionist, and find what works fast, 'cause blood sugars that low are dangerous!

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

ladychief231
on 7/12/12 1:15 am - Douglassville, PA
Thanks for responding. I've just been postponing but I should talk to the nutritionist and will.

yes it is an awful feeling when it happens and frustrating. It's also become a big deterrent from eating certain foods like an occasional pancake or soft pretzel.

Take care,
T
Laureen S.
on 7/12/12 5:06 am - Maple Shade, NJ
If I eat pancakes, even with protein, I have RH, same with a soft pretzel, though often if I have one of those, I am at a ballpark or some such place, so generally not had it with a good protein source, but I find that a high carb of that variety causes a big crash about an hour or so later. . .  and I agree with Jill, the numbers you're talking are dangerous lows. 

Others have spoken about that condition at meetings and one of the suggestions given was about eating a balanced meal of healthy carb and protein and eating by the clock, not less than 2 to 2.5 hours in between "small" meals.

T, do you food log at all, because maybe you should for a period of time, just to see when the reaction is it's worst, it will help the nutritionist to give you good advice as well, though I'm sure she can help no matter what. . .

Be well and hope you find a solution that works. . .

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

IdaMae D.
on 7/12/12 8:38 am - Philadelphia, PA
I personally cannot use milk to make protein shakes.  I have the same problem you seem to be having when  do.  I've found my best shakes are made with no sugar added vanilla almond milk. 

IdaMae

ladychief231
on 7/12/12 9:36 am - Douglassville, PA
 Thanks everyone. Yes I still log all of my food and exercise faithfully. The quandary is that I do everything right, mostly, but still have frequent episodes. There are times when I consciously make a bad food choice and I know a crash will result so I try to head those off with a snack before the drop goes too low. The othe piece of the puzzle I think might be the time between my last meal and breakfast. Sometimes my last meal or snack might be 6:30 7:00 because I go to bed early 8:30-9:00 and I'm up at 4:30.  Now that I'm processing this on this thread I'm realizing that maybe the length of time between the meals is a major contributor. The shake I drink I the AM is click made with water. I'm going to try having the click with a cheese stick or HB egg early and see if that holds the BS steady until e 7:30 chobani. 

Thanks for your feedback. Hope this exchange can help some other folks down the road.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views