Just sharing a link about alcohol and wls

lynnc99
on 7/11/12 9:56 pm
 This looks like a great informational webinar. And if the issue is grabbing the attention of these well known voices in the world of WLS....well, that tells us that it IS an issue! Thank you Nan!
Laureen S.
on 7/11/12 10:35 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Hi Nan,

Glad to see you, people have been asking how you're doing. . . hope all is well!

Thanks for this, as someone who will celebrate 25 years sober next Friday and as a facilitator of WLS meetings, I can tell you, this issue of alcoholism post-WLS is not a joke and I have been very outspoken about it, especially recently due to the things I have read.  I made a point at the June meetings to state that the surgeons are not emphasizing this component as they need to, because what they generally say to folks is that alcohol is empty calories and should be avoided, when what they need to say is what we are hearing everywhere now. . .  our bodies do NOT metabolize alcohol the way the normal digestive system does and therefore, physiologically can cause problems, then add the component of "addictive personality" and it's a train wreck waiting to happen.  I remember someone at a support group meeting, prior to my surgery, pointing at me and stating emphatically that I needed to watch out for transfer of addiction, my response was, that since I had been dealing with my alcoholism/addiction for 20 years at that point, that while I am not exempt, I already have a program in place to deal with that, a program that helps me, a day at a time to not drink under any and all cir****tances. . .  which was one of the reasons why food is so challenging for me, simply because I've really used up all my other addictions (lol). . .

Again, thanks Nan, I intend to join in and hear what they have to say because I do like to get informed so that I can bring it to our support groups and let people know what they can do to avoid such pitfalls as post-WLS alcoholism.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

jastypes
on 7/11/12 11:10 pm - Croydon, PA
Thank you for sharing this here, Nan.  As you know, it's a very important subject, and one near and dear to my own heart.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Patricia R.
on 7/12/12 2:17 am - Perry, MI
Thanks for this.  I'm hoping to sign up for it.  I was 5 years sober when I had my surgery.  Unfortunately, I was not working my AA program thoroughly, so I relapsed one year post-op.  My relapse was two years of living Hell.  I'm now two and a half years sober.  So, this topic is very near and dear to my heart.

Hope you are doing well.  God bless.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

IdaMae D.
on 7/12/12 8:36 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Nan;
Great to see you!

This is great information. 

Ida

IdaMae

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views