The Not So High Price of Vitamins

lynnc99
on 6/12/12 10:40 am
I have seen several posts in various forums about the cost of vitamins post op. Newbies wonder if they can afford the lifetime expense of "all those vitamins."

Today I had a few minutes while waiting for a prescription, and did a little price checking. Here's what I discovered:

Centrum chewables: priced at 9.96 per 100. 2 per day = .20

Vitamin B1, 250 mg: priced at 3.22 per 100. 1 per day = .03

Vitamin B12 Sublingual 2500 mcg: priced at 4.88 per 60. 1 per day = .08

Biotin 1000 mcg: priced at 2.94 per 120 = .02

Citrical Petites priced at 10.92 per 200. 6 per day = .32

So let's total this up.

.67 per day.

Less, perhaps, if you find a good "buy one get one free" offer. So if the expense of vitamins has you on pins and needles, look at it this way. It's way less than that drive thru whopper and coke.
bvohl
on 6/12/12 9:15 pm
Lynn,

That is great information for the newbies. I remember pre op thinking how am I going to afford this?? I was buying my vitamins at Barix, but they were too expensive. I looked elsewhere to find what I needed. A good place to go is Walmart. They have B12 vitamins for $4. I also look for BOGO sales that Giant often has to stock up on Iron, B1 and such.

When you put it in your perspective it is TOTALLY affordable!!

Thanks!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

lynnc99
on 6/12/12 9:21 pm
I realize that I didn't include iron or other specific needs that some people may have, but you are right, the BOGO sales are terrific. I usually check CVS and Walgreens for those.

At the beginning, I used chewable calcium from Bariatric Advantage. The lozenges were easy to take, but quite expensive. Now I am using the least expensive calcium citrate I could find, which compares to Citrical (not the petites). The Wal Mart brand was amzingly inexpensive, I only take 3 a day, and the larger pills don't bother me now.
Laureen S.
on 6/12/12 10:22 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Target is a great place to get their brand of citrical petites, I think 200 are like 7.49 or something like that. . .

I also look for the BOGOs when it comes to other vitamins. . .

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

merrymorris
on 6/18/12 5:37 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
But this is not for the DS, right? Because we need a lot more and it IS expensive...but we also save money on other things like food cause we aren't eating as much.
lynnc99
on 6/18/12 5:40 am
You are right -what I listed was the typical requirements for RNY post ops!
Barbi468
on 6/23/12 2:46 am - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
I thought the vitamins over the counter didn't absorb as well as the bariatric ones? i am a newbie so I have so many questions. I am reading a lot everywhere and I know I read this somewhere. The obsorbtion of the vitamins...
Barb
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views