Waiting For Approval

Lauren_E
on 6/4/12 10:10 am
Hi Everyone in Pennsylvania!

I'm new to OH and thought I would take the plunge and post.  As I am waiting for pre-certification approval -- and becoming more and more anxious each day -- I thought someone out there might have helpful insight about this process. Ah, well... The basic information here is that my pre-cert request was submitted to KHPE on May 29th.  I am a teacher and am hoping to have RNY at Barix with Dr. Neil Marymor just after school is over.  I know the 800 number to Keystone "by heart" and I've gotten a bunch of different answers to my questions from their customer service representatives over the past few days.  I'd be able to be a little more patient with the insurance process except that I have a couple of trips planned this summer and two kids that I'm trying to finalize camp plans for.  On or around the 18th is the best time for me and I suppose only time will tell if this plays out as I would like.  

Thanks for "listening" and have an excellent evening!

Lauren :-)

lynnc99
on 6/4/12 10:26 pm
Lauren, waiting is the hardest part! The entire process will teach you a thing or two about patience, but waiting insurance is painful. Just be sure you keep all the ducks in a row as far as their specific requirements go, and you should be fine, and you will not be disappointed at Barix!
Laureen S.
on 6/4/12 11:33 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Hi Lauren,

Welcome to the PA OH Board and I am an "alumni" of Barix. . .  had my surgery there in 07. . .  great place to have it and they are the kind of facility that once you are a patient of their's you are one for life and Dr. Marymor is an absolutely wonderful surgeon!

Hopefully, all your pre-testing is done, because getting the approval is only a part of the journey, once I got my approval, I then had to have a series of clearance testing done, but each insurer is different and age plays a part in some of the testing required.  Should you have your surgery laproscoply done, you will be up and about, feeling good in short order, most people get six weeks off and it's not a bad idea, but if you don't have a strenous job (lifting and the like), you can go back to work relatively soon afterward, some people go back as quickly as couple of weeks, but again, everyone is different.  The point of making a decision to have this surgery and "getting it done" is the hardest part of things for most of us.  So practice both patience and being proactive and you will get things done in the time it is meant for you to have your procedure.

Anything we can do to encourage and support you, please come back and ask away, as someone is always willing to jump in and offer advice, based on their own personal experiences.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Patricia R.
on 6/5/12 1:01 am - Perry, MI
 Hi there,
I had my RNY with Dr. Marymor at Barix in August '06.  I had Personal Choice and it took me about six weeks to get all the pre-testing done, and then another six weeks for the actual surgery.  Since then, I switched over to Keystone Healthy Plan East, and have no clue if they have any other requriements.  Some insurance sompanies require a six month supervised diet for all their pateints.  Each insurance is different.  

I do know you will need a sleep study done, as well as a psychological evaluation.  I was lucky.  My psychiatrist did mine, since he knew me better than any stranger.  He also knows my psychotherapist, so the two of them discussed me on the phone and my psychiatrist was able to write up a good evaluation.  

You will love Dr. Marymor.  He really cares about his patients.  When I was discharged from Barix after my surgery, he gave me his cell phone number.  Since my surgery, whenever I have posted on here about a personal or family crisis, he has called me out of genuine concern.  For a few years, he did not work at Barix, so I went to his office in Springfield, PA for my annual check-ups.  Now, he is back at Barix, so I don't have to drive so far.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Lauren_E
on 6/5/12 6:42 am
Thanks so much for the good insight and positive feedback!  I got a call today and was approved for the RNY!  I'm hoping to hear from Dr. Marymor's office tomorrow and am curious about what's next.

Have an excellent day!

Lauren
Lisa H.
on 6/5/12 7:15 am - Whitehall, PA
 LAAUURREEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN....

Didn't read any of the posts.. just saw your pretty face and wanted to stop by and wish you the best of luck! I see that you got your approval.  Hopefully they can get you in over the summer so you can be back teaching in the fall!!!  

My tracker

hers 

Lauren_E
on 6/5/12 10:18 am
Hi Lisa!  I'm hoping for June 18th... Will keep you posted! Hi to Siehara and Neil...  Btw, that kiddo of yours is getting prettier and prettier in every picture I see...  Thanks for your message!  XOXO

Lauren
Lisa H.
on 6/5/12 8:46 pm - Whitehall, PA
Thanks Lauren... June 18 is right around the corner.. if you can get in THAT FAST, you freakin' ROCK!  I don't know what your insurance requirements are or what you have already done, but best of luck with everything! You already know what you need to do to make this work considering all of the people you have been hanging around with for the past few years.  You can rock this tool with the best of 'em!  Then, you'll be running 10K's and marathons in no time at all!!

Too bad your trip to my neck to my neck of the woods got called on account of tornado warnings... next time maybe you'll let me know.... then I won't have to get all close with Mother Nature.. .

Thanks for the compliments on Siehara.. she is doing well and I agree.. prettier every pic!

My tracker

hers 

Lauren_E
on 6/6/12 11:32 am
I have KHPE...  I've had all the things done that the surgeon requested - blood  work, psych eval, sleep study and breathing test.  I think there is some I don't have to do b/c I don't have any of the co-morbidities that warrant some of the testing.  I'm waiting to hear from Barix about what I need to do next.  I don't think it's much.  

Rach was super disappointed about the tornado warnings.  It was an adventure, to say the least.  

That's all for now...  I'll keep you posted...

xoxo 
Cherish F.
on 6/7/12 12:56 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hey gorgeous! Just popped in and saw your face!
Congrats on your approval, that is awesome. I hope you get your date soon.
Woo hoo! Another one headed for the loser's bench.
 Cherish
Consult Weight/ Surgery Weight/Current Weight/  Goal Weight, Reached 4/7/11!!
     294                     286.5                     165.5                     164

Full abdominoplasty & Breast Reduction/Lift - 4/9/12!

Even miracles take a little time. ~ Cinderella

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views