Handling Head Hunger

dee-vee
on 5/24/12 3:27 pm
Hi, I am Diane (Dee) and am scheduled for RNY on June 12 with Dr. Noel Williams. I am scared!! What if I don't wake up? What if I am so anxious that I can't handle the head hunger post-op? AHHH!!
bvohl
on 5/24/12 7:02 pm

Hi Diane,

It is perfectly normal to be scared and think those thoughts! I know I did. I remember the morning of my surgery I was so nervous I was almost hyperventilating!! Trust in your surgeon and your decision to make a better, healthier life for yourself!

I am glad that you came to our board. There is a WEALTH of information, support and guidance here!!

I would suggest along with this board, go to a local support group. Not sure where you live, but I am sure you can find out through your surgeon/hospital where one is. Support is KEY to successing in this journey. I know I would not be as successful if I didn't have it in my life!!

Make sure to follow your doctors orders COMPLETELY!! Walk, sip, breathe, walk,,sip breathe!
Let us know how you make out!

Beth

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

lynnc99
on 5/24/12 9:06 pm
Dee, the fears before any surgery are very normal. I recommend that you ask a LOT of questions. Your surgeon should be able to ease your mind about waking up. And you may or may not struggle with head hunger....but I won't mislead you here, a lot of the work that lies ahead is in your head!

It might help you to list all the things you are afraid of, and turn each one into a question. You can ask the questions here, of course, but I suggest that you also take advantage of the opportunity to ask your doc and build a strong relationship there as well!
Laureen S.
on 5/24/12 11:45 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Hi Dee. . .

Welcome to the PA Forum and as has been said, it's perfectly normal to feel a sense of fear at this stage of the game, from the time of approval and/or being given an actual date of surgery, it's an emotional roller coaster ride for most of us. 

The realities are very likely that you will wake up and for a time afterwards you will be greatly perplexed as to how you will ever manage to get in the amount of fluids you need to get in, never mind the protein quota your surgeon suggests for you and it will take time to navigate the sometimes choppy waters of early post-WLS days and weeks, but the results, they will astound you and you will look back and remember those early days with awe that you made it through them. 

You can talk yourself into anxiety over what might be, or you can trust that you choose your surgeon wisely, that he has the skills to get you to where you hope to find yourself living a healthier and fuller life one day real soon. 

As for head hunger, you will first need to recognize that is what you are experiencing and then find ways to distract yourself, the way a person who quits smoking has to do in order to continue not to smoke.  Maybe keep a journal of how you are feeling when the "hunger" hits, so you can see what might be triggering your feelings to eat, or go for a walk, make a phone call to a friend, there are many ways to get through head hunger and not everyone has that issue.

As has been said, a good support network is key to ongoing success within this journey, so find one for yourself and there is always this forum, where people are ready to help you continue successing long after the day you join us on the bench. . .

One last suggestion, take photos of yourself the morning of your surgery, front and side views and measurements and than monthly on the date take the same photo and measurements so you can see your progress, as so often our minds (and sometimes the scale) plays tricks with us.

Very soon you will be shopping for a whole new wardrobe and feeling the joys of living life less weighed down.

Best wishes, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

swedeville1
on 5/29/12 3:56 am - Mount Pleasant, PA
I second what everyone else said. You are going to do great and a few months after your surgery you will be able to look back on it and be thankful that you made the decision to have the surgery and take back your life. Swede

HW=400  SW=383  CW=252  GW=240
Pounds to go=12!!!  Pounds Lost =148

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views