Craving sugar - this is ridiculous!

lynnc99
on 5/7/12 9:01 am
I've been (mostly) a purist since my surgery in July 2009.

No refined sugar, or only in very small amounts.

So what's going on this week? I am craving sugar. Specifically Twizzlers. And vanilla cookies. I even bought a snack size pack of cookies at a convenience store and tried them....but they were TOO sweet. Didn't deter the craving though. I just "want" to try different brands until I find the one that is just right! (Which in my mind's eye would be Keebler Vienna Fingers just in case you are wondering. Of course I could be wrong.)

On the way home I walked up the cookie aisle of the grocery store. I did have the good sense to NOT buy the pack of Vienna Fingers. Instead I bought some Atkins shakes and skim milk.

But what on EARTH has me so obsessed with sugar these days? Out of the blue....proves my long held belief that the old temptations (and pounds) are lying in wait, ready to jump out when I least expect it.
Laureen S.
on 5/7/12 9:28 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Lynn

Are you trying to counter it with fresh fruit?  Often, though I don't know about sugar specifically, we crave something because our bodies are lacking in some way.  Have your blood levels been good?  Have you tried reaching out to the nutritionists at Barix, you can do so, it is considered part of aftercare, even after years.  Or is there something emotional tied into your cravings?  I'm not asking that you necessarily answer me, but more as a point of something to think about.

Anyway, good seeing you and hope you don't feed that beast, because, as I well know, it is not an easy one to lock up.  Though these days most of my sugar comes from fruit than anything else.

Take care, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

bvohl
on 5/7/12 9:46 am
Lynn,

I am also craving sugar but part of that is my fault because I give into the craving more often than I should! I do not dump from sugar but I DO get sick from SF stuff, WTF?!?!? That is totally opposite of what we were told....anyway, being that we are so close to our 3 years out we are able to "test" the waters alot more than when we were newbies.

Stay strong!!

Love and miss you!!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Patricia R.
on 5/7/12 9:07 pm - Perry, MI
 Sometimes when I crave sugar, it means I need more protein.  Don't ask me how that is related.  So, I eat some cheese sticks, or Greek yogurt, and get the lactose and protein in me, and that sometimes helps.  Fruit is always a best alternative to a sugar fix.  My grandchildren eat blueberries and strawberries like they are candy.  They will fight over them.  

Dr. Marymor did tell me that I could have a few pieces of chocolate, not a lot, if I wanted to.  That has helped, and I have even lost weight while giving in to that.

Hope you are able to figure out the best solution.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views