The Weight of The Nation: read this if you are struggling

Arlene E.
on 4/30/12 1:40 pm - Philadelphia, PA

I was just reading some info about a documentary coming up on May 14th on HBO  called Weight of the Nation.  Below is the answer the producer gave to the following question asked of him regarding the program.  

Not surprising at all to me or to many of us who struggle daily.

Jill, this certainly goes alon with your most recent post.  

Q: What else did you learn?

A: Even after 10 years of maintaining a significant weight loss, the body doesn't readjust. Your brain still thinks you're in a state of deprivation, and it manipulates your body in ways you don't even notice: You're hungrier, less easily satisfied, and more frequently tempted by sweet and fatty foods; you are less inclined to exercise.

Losing weight and keeping it off requires a renovation of your entire life for the remainder of your life.

Nicole0216
on 4/30/12 10:48 pm - Lancaster, PA
Very true.
jastypes
on 4/30/12 11:29 pm - Croydon, PA
ugh.  I suppose it will forever be a daily struggle, although I would prefer to think of it as a daily reprieve or challenge or decision.  I had a "perfect" day yesterday with food.  I ate on plan, drank water and went for a walk.  It felt good to be able to make appropriate and healthy choices.  It really is one day at a time for me, though, and sometimes one meal at a time. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Laureen S.
on 5/1/12 1:01 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Right now, I'm totally disgusted with everything. . .  just how I feel and this too shall pass, but what you wrote is very much where I'm at lately and my scale numbers are not holding steady and I am just plain tired of it all.  I feel deprived of the ability to live "normally", living on so much less than I used to eat and still not able to maintain has me feeling disgusted. . .  I've lost my exercise mojo and with the constant aches and pains and feelings of being tired all the time lately, I just haven't been able to get myself back into what I know I need to do. . .  just being honest with you all.

Thanks for posting this. . .  it helps to know that what I proclaim at every meeting is true and that I need simply not give up, but accept that this is a lifelong journey and that I can change my course at any time.

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views