A new (or rather old) approach to staying on track

jastypes
on 4/30/12 12:44 am - Croydon, PA
After another weekend of ridiculous eating, I had to sit myself down this morning and give myself a good talking to.  I'm frustrated.  I remember what it was like to eat after surgery.  I ate EXACTLY what I was told to.  I did not eat those things that I was instructed not to eat.  I struggled with getting in my water, but I made every effort to do it anyway.  I never enjoyed exercise, but I forced myself to go for a walk every day.  In other words, I followed my surgeon's instructions to the letter.  I was terrified that my tool wouldn't work, or I would break it, or I would get sick, or something would get stuck.  During those early months, I relied on my Higher Power every single time I wanted to eat something that was not on my plan.

And somewhere along the line, I decided to do this on my own.  I ignored pouch and other "rules" (eating and drinking at the same time; no more than 2 grams of added sugar; no more than 10 fat grams per meal; 64 oz of water a day; exercise daily).  The result is that now I seriously struggle with food, eating, water consumption and exercise.  I've really lost my way.

I started to get it back when I came back to support groups and posting here, but find that so many of my bad habits are ingrained and I find it very difficult to stay the course.  I play games with myself.  If the scale has a "good" number, I allow myself to eat more.  Then when the scale shows a "bad" number, I'm scrambling to pull myself together.  I think about restricting food.  I think about tackling one thing at a time, but then again realize that right after surgery, I really was getting it all right.  Back to feeling frustrated.

So, just for today, I am going to follow the rules, eat on plan, drink water and take a walk.  Any time my disease brain tries to talk me out of doing something I should do, or into doing something I should not do, I am committing to using one or more of my tools:  prayer, journal, phone call -- the way I did when I started this journey.

Thanks for letting me put it out here.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Nicole0216
on 4/30/12 1:23 am - Lancaster, PA
Good for you. right there with you
Patricia R.
on 4/30/12 1:27 am - Perry, MI
 I was right there with you with you on picking up the bad habits for several years, which resulted in a 45 pound regain.  Now that I went through the two months of recuperation with my leg this past Winter, I somehow got control, and no longer binge, or overdo it with any particular food.  I still have a small dose of candy each day, not like I used to, just a daily fix.  And, as a result of that, and picking up my activity level, I have managed to lose 30 pounds of that regain.  I never reached goal, but I am heading there, finally.

Hope this makes sense.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

jdruski
on 5/1/12 3:39 am - Philadelphia, PA
Jill

Thanks for posting this.  I needed to see this in writing.  LIke you I am frustrated.    I am struggling with the worse bout of depression that I have ever had but I am making positive steps to get that resolved.  Hopefully all the other things will fall in place.

I think that I will also make a pledge to myself that for one day I will also journal, pray, measure, be aware.  Follow what the surgeon said.  Have respect for my pouch.

Jeanne
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views