Tired Equals Hunger

jastypes
on 4/20/12 5:00 am - Croydon, PA
It's not physical, stomach hunger, but more of a craving, head hunger that I am experiencing in this moment when I feel extraordinarily sleepy and sleep is not an option.  I crave sweet things (but I don't eat sugar).  Second on my crave list is carbs.  Do carbs give you more energy?  I ran out of certain vitamins this week, and that may be part of why I'm so tired.  I have to wait until my next pay to buy more.  I should really stock up.  Lesson learned. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

lynnc99
on 4/20/12 10:10 pm
JIll, I have discovered the same thing. "Fatigue eating" was one of my patterns for many years - during college, raising kids, long work hours....any time that I wasn't able or willing to admit that I needed sleep. Some how, in my value system for a long time, needing to sleep was a weakness. (Not true any more, by the way).

But even now, I have to be very careful. In my pre op days I could rationalize eating sugar AND carbs (both as energy foods, right?), as well as loading up on caffeine.

Stress eating lurks out there too.

As for the vitamins, I have made a few switches that are easier on the wallet - got the large container of calcium citrate from Costco and also got one-a-day for my multivitamin. I am able to swallow pills without any problem so these made sense for me.
Laureen S.
on 4/22/12 11:49 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
There are researches that suggest strongly that people who do not get the proper amount of rest for their bodies (less than 7/8 hours) are overweight and largely due to the fact that we crave more food to offset being tired (carbs being one of the main things craved), yes, they give us a rush of energy, but then we crash and burn, which becomes cylcle.  I find that some vitamins I can get cheaper buying the store brands, found the calcium comprable to citracal petites at Target for a lot less than the citracal version, though I prefer GNCs zip sublingual b12 and usually load up on that when they have buy one, get one 1/2 off. . .

So, yes, food cravings come as a result of fatigue. . .

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

jastypes
on 4/22/12 11:52 pm - Croydon, PA
Well, as it turns out, not only was I out of vitamins, but I was also premenstrual.  Jeez, will this menopause thing ever end?  I had two periods last month and now here it is again.  I had gone 6 months without a period and thought I was finally done.  If this keeps up, I'm going back on the pill!!!

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views