Surgery Monday--what to expect

Amy R.
on 4/20/12 3:38 am - camp hill, PA

Hi! I am new to this group and starting the next phase of this journey with RnY Monday (Reading Hospital w Dr Ceppa).  To be honest, I'm nervous.  I thought I knew what to expect, thought I was prepared.  Maybe its just because I am so stinking hungry right now with just liquids that I am not thinking straight.

Can anyone relate?  Those who are post surgery...what can I expect?  Those who are on the same path as me, any suggestions?

Best wishes to all!  Thanks in advance for the info!
~Amy

musicaldonna
on 4/20/12 4:22 am - PA
Welcome to the PA board Amy

My name is Donna and I am almost 3 years out from RNY surgery.  I remember being a lunatic right before surgery due to the liquid diet.  I wanted to kill my surgeon but it was worth it.  After the surgery you will need to walk to help get rid of the gas and sip your fluids.  I had my surgery at Barix in Langhorne and the nurses/staff there were super.  It is hard for me to remember back to the early days but keep on posting here with your questions.  We will make room for you on the losers' bench.  Just wanted you to know that you are not alone in this.  The PA board is super and the people on here have been very helpful to me over the years.  Best of luck of Monday and let us know how everything went.  Take care.
Amy R.
on 4/20/12 4:40 am - camp hill, PA
Thank you Donna!  Just called and I am to report at 6am Monday.  I will post when I am able.  I plan to be on that losers bench!
jastypes
on 4/20/12 4:58 am - Croydon, PA
Welcome!  Immediately after surgery you can expect the usual post-surgery pain and grogginess.  I think it's a hell of a lot easier to be on liquids AFTER surgery than before!  I wasn't really hungry for quite a while.  Oh, wait, I'm STILL never hungry -- at least my stomach isn't.  After surgery it's all about following your surgeon and nutritionist's instructions, sipping liquids and walking as much as possible.  We're here to support you on this most amazing journey!  Support is key for me and many others.  You never have to do this alone.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Amy R.
on 4/20/12 6:44 am - camp hill, PA
Thank you Jill. 
Patricia R.
on 4/20/12 6:50 am - Perry, MI
 The most important thing to know during early recovery is "Sip, sip, sip," and "Walk, walk, walk."  The walking is not just to remove gas, though it is great for that.  It also is to prevent blood clots, which can occur during your early recuperation is you are not moving.

Be sure to work toward your fluid intake goal, as well as your protein goal.  I was able to make my protein goal on clear liquids by drinking Isopure Protein Drinks.  They are different flavors.  I only liked the grape, which reminded me of grape Kool Aid.  They have 40 grams of protein in one bottle, and no sugar.  I got them at General Nutrition Center.  

Expect to be tired regularly, as your body is having major surgery.  When you are tired, rest.  But then, when you aren't tired, be sure to get your walking in.  In the hospital, they had me walking every four hours, even in the middle of the night.  It was worth it.

Look forward to seeing you on the Losers Bench.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

proudmama13
on 4/20/12 6:48 pm, edited 4/20/12 9:57 pm - Bristol, PA
Hi Amy!

I had RNY on December 13, 2011.  As soon as they gave me the go ahead, I was up and doing laps.  The worst part for me was the gas pain, but the meds they gave me helped.  I had surgery on Tuesday and was released from the hospital on Wednesday.  I took 1 pain pill once I got home and then switched to Tylenol which took care of any discomfort.  My husband went back to work on Friday and I was able to take care of our son (who was 3 months old at the time) with no issues.  Four days after surgery I had 11 people over for a tree trimming party and felt totally fine doing that.  I still had my JP drain in at the time, but that was more of a pain in the butt than actually painful.  Like other people have said, let walking and sipping be your mantra.  The walking really helps to get rid of those nasty gas pains.  Surgery is scary, but this decision was one of the best things I have ever done for me.  I am a little over 4 months out and have lost 66 pounds.  I feel so much better, and I know that I would not have been able to lose the weight without this amazing tool. Best of luck to you!  PM me if you would like.  I'd be happy to give you my phone number to chat with you more about my experience:)

Selena

Amy R.
on 4/21/12 9:56 am - camp hill, PA
Thanks Trish and Selena.  Trish I did go to GNC and get some IsoPure for when I come home...thanks for the tip.  I do feel better now that I have heard from some of you 'trail blazers'!  And I changed my multivitamin so I don't quite feel like the a$$ end of the dog.  Was able to get some yard work done today without feeling like I was gonna fall out.

Will post once I am on 'the other side'!
bubbles6472
on 4/22/12 5:09 am - Perkasie, PA
 I am also having my surgery tomorrow.  I am having the DS though at Abington Hospital.  The liquid diet beforehand has been really tough when everyone else in the house is eating normal fun food around me.  I am glad to be less then 14  hrs out.  I am due to be there at 5:30 am.  Well good luck and see you on the "otherside". :)  

Donna

Laureen S.
on 4/22/12 11:38 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Donna,

I will say the same things to you that I posted to Amy. . .  Best wishes. . .

When your read this you will in all likelihood be a post-op recovering from surgery. . .  I wish you a good transisition from old to new you, follow the instructions given to you and you will do fine.  If you find yourself having "buyers remorse" know that some people do, but most within weeks are feeling wonderful and glad to be experiencing the WOW moments.  If you haven't already done so, when you get home, take your measurements and a side profile and full frontal picture and do so monthly because often on this journey the scale doesn't paint the whole picture, while measurements and photos show what we often cannot see otherwise. 

Come back and share your special moments, whatever they are, because we here will truly understand and champion your successing as you transverse this sometimes wacky road of post-WLS living.  Also, please find a local support group that you can attend regularly, as people who get invovled in support do better at maintaining their weight loss further down the line.

I wish you health and a fully enriched life, living as you've dreamed trapped in the "fat suit" we wore prior to WLS.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views