Topic of the day - Advice

Jackie Fisher
on 3/28/12 9:12 pm - PA
I know there are a lot of people who lurk amongst the board and are too shy to speak, I know because I used to be one of them!! This is why I have decided on this topic for today. This is for all of those who sit back, read, and soak in all the information. We see you and we love you all too

For today, I would like to share the number 1 piece of advice that you would give to someone who is contemplating the surgery, who is fresh out of surgery, or for that person who may be struggling further down the road. I will start...

My piece of advice would be for those contemplating the surgery that are feeling nervous about how people will react or who have people in their life who do not approve. Here's what I would say to that.. at the end of the day, this is all about you! You are the one who ultimately has to make this decision because you are the one who will be making all of the life changes and will be dealing with the successing as well as the minor setbacks. While it is great to have every person you encounter be extremely positive about what you are thinking about doing, odds are, it is pretty unlikely. It is not because the reasons you are thinking though. Most people will be against it simply out of fear. They are scared of what could happen, they are scared you are going to change, they could be scared of a million things. You cannot let their fear stop you. This is your life, your body, and your health. My best suggestion would be to take them along with you to a consultation or to a support group meeting. Every bit of knowledge they gain and the more smiling faces they see of those who are continued successes will ease their mind and their hearts. Do be firm with them, however. Let them know that while you value their opinion, you would rather have them by your side then not with you!!

"Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present."

-Jackie

Laureen S.
on 3/28/12 11:00 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Another awesome post. . .  I think you have a bit of blogger in you, you certainly have insight that is going to help others and take you far on this "successing" path. . .  you made a great point about not letting what other's fear or think make you waffle on your decision to move forward.

I think the most important thing prior to surgery is investigating all the various procedures and analyzing your life honestly to see which one will best aid you for longtime health and well being, being informed of what you will need to remain compliant long after the initial stages of weightloss, getting involved in support and staying involved in it is another key thing I strongly believe in.  Asking questions when you are stumped and remembering there are no stupid questions when it comes to being proactive about your health, knowledge is key.  I also suggest when shopping for a surgeon, you do homework on their background, how long they've been doing bariatric surgery, how many procedures they have done, where and who they've been affiliated with and I know on here (OH) you can even sometimes find what their patients think about them, also find out and attend any support they offer post-surgery patients, because you can get a real flavor for the kind of things you will need and whether it is a place you can go to with your questions or anything else.

There is another factor that each person needs to realize that ultimately it becomes about how you embrace your new lifestyle and being able to make changes that will become a part of your regular routine.  Exercise must become a component of our lives, find something physical you can do, zumba, kickboxing, walking the dog for half and hour to 40 minutes, tennis, running, anything that gives you that boost towards successing that keeps us at a healthy place once we arrive at the place where many have failed, maintenance and I do not say that as a gloom and doom prediction, just as hasn't that been most people's story, go on a diet, lose weight, sometimes getting to goal, only to fail when it came to maintaining that weight.  The reason is simple, we must continue to adhere to those things that we are told and I was given guidelines to abide and when I don't, there is a price for it.  You can "success" for life and if you are out there lurking and struggling due to regain, the tool still works, it's ability can be tapped into, you simply have to get back to what works, live post-WLS is and can be wonderful!!!

Have a great day!

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/12 10:07 pm
 I love your posting....

My problem is my sister.  No matter what I do, she always has something to say to knock it down.  SO with my weight loss journey is being kept from her.  I gave my family instructions that she is NOT to know.  With how my sister is towards me, I have felt that I never should have been born.  She has always made me feel like **** and I will NOT allow her to do this anymore.  

I have a good support system with my husband, our kids, my mom, dad, brother and other relatives.  Plus from our friends.  My best support system is with my husband cause we are both in the program together.  He is a good cook and so we look for SAFE meals for us.

The other night he made roasted cabbage with fish, green beans and carrots.  It was a good meal. 

Last night he made burgers on george foreman grill, oven baked fries sprayed the fries with PAM, and veggies.  i don't eat my burger with bread/bun...  on plate with mayo and ketchup cut up.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views