Issue of the day - Snacks

Jackie Fisher
on 3/21/12 9:14 pm - PA
   I was wondering if any of you folks could offer your expertise? So, as most of you know, I am 4 and 1/2 months postop. I work full time about 10 hours a day. This means I am up at 5:30am, leave by 6am, and do not step foot back into my apartment until around 5:30pm. While the journey after surgery has been pretty smooth (knock on wood), it is starting to get slightly repetitive and I know that isn't good. Last night at support group, when discussing a stall, they always remind us to change our routines.. change your exercise routine and change up the foods you eat. This is where I need your help!!
   I have decided recently that I need to kick my exercise plan into high gear. Walking and aerobic bar exercise is only going to get me so far. I need to find something I love to do (that also works me out) for when the time comes for maintenence! I want to get my life plan in order now, while I am still in the fabulous "honeymoon period." So, I have decided to take Zumba!! Why not do something I love, while working up a sweat, and helping to drop the weight and tone me up!? So, this part I got down.
   However, the eating part is getting slightly monotonous. I am good about switching up my breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but snacks are always the same.. I have 1 or 2 of the following each time I snack..
*Cottage cheese cup
*String Cheese
*Yogurt
*Fruit
*Laughing Cow wedge on a Wasa cracker
Seriously.. they are getting old!! I was wondering if any of you guys have some snack ideas. I need portable snacks that I can bring to work with me, that can easily be eaten at my desk, and that offer some kind of protein. Storage is not a problem because we have a fridge in our office and a microwave and such. I just need a change.. can you help me out?!

THANKS SO MUCH!!

Jackie
"Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present."

-Jackie

dit657
on 3/21/12 9:57 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Jackie I think this is the bane of all healthy eating habits - repetition and boredom. You've named the basic staples of all of our post-op snacks, especially since you're just 4 1/2 months out - nuts are a good snack and good source of protein (almonds) but not sure your pouch can digest those just yet. I also keep Atkins Protein Bars in my desk - they're high in protein, low in sugar and calories, and very good, but again, not sure you're ready for something that dense yet?

Stick to what you're doing right now for a little longer - I know it gets boring, but you're still healing and I'd stick to your plan until at least 6 months out.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
bvohl
on 3/21/12 10:32 pm
Jackie,

Can you tolerate peanut butter? I used to LOVE (and still do) apple slices and pb. I usually would use the simply jif because it has only 2g of sugar. I would buy the apple slices at Wawa which are prepacked and only about a dollar...

Good luck!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

lynnc99
on 3/22/12 12:03 am
Beth, peanut butter is the point where I lose all discipline. It can't even come into my house, or I just get out a spoon and take off! (Ditto sugar free ice cream.)

Point being, we all have snacks that work for us....and some that don't.

I stick with Atkins or Pure Protein Bars, thinly sliced oranges or apples, and cheese.

With long work days, I pack what might appear to be 2 lunches worth of food, so I am sure to have a little variety. Today I am taking some roast turkey with green beans, a sliced orange and some Baby Bel cheese, and a protein bar. These will be spread out over mealtime and breaks. I do have sort of a phobia about being hungry and running out of food....still obsessed....so I tend to take more than I will probably need or use.

But that's just me!
Laureen S.
on 3/21/12 10:34 pm, edited 3/21/12 10:35 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Jackie,

Awesome journey thusfar and good to look into alternatives, as Kathy pointed out, for now stay the course, maybe, as she suggested, try some nuts that are portable and a good source of protein, almonds now come in lots of flavors, including my alltime fave, cocoa roasted and buffalo chicken. . .you might be able to add and the thing is learning and steering clear of foods that trigger your desire to overeat them, s/f, l/f pudding, I make my own so I can use no fat or 1% milk.

Glad you are doing Zumba, I really enjoyed it myself, right now I can't do it, but hopefully in the future. . .

Have a great day!

Laureen

P.S. Jerky is also a low fat, low calorie portable snack, if you like it and you've got to chew it so that keeps your jaws busy ;)

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

jastypes
on 3/22/12 12:24 am, edited 3/22/12 12:24 am - Croydon, PA
Easy (and healthy) snack ideas I've used and that my friends use include those you mentioned, as well as protein bars, cup of soup, carrot/celery/pepper sticks, SF pudding, SF jello, nuts, Hard-boiled egg.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 3/22/12 1:03 am

Hard Boiled Egg

Low Sodium Low Fat Deli Meats

Sugar Free Fruit Cups (Del Monte makes a sugar free peach one)

Shrimp with homemade ****tail sauce

Tyson Buffalo Bites

Gluten Free Crackers (they are low carb) with homemade tuna fish or chicken salad

Mock Calzone Pizza (made with cottage cheese, low fat cheese, spinach, egg beaters, sauce)

When I think of more stuff I'll add on to this post.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

musicaldonna
on 3/22/12 3:35 am - PA
Jackie,

I don't have much to add to the great suggestions already made - I am big on almonds, string cheese, apples, oranges and low salt popcorn.  Once again I agree with Laureen that you need to see if any of these will be a negative trigger for you.  Congrats on the Zumba.  I enjoyed it while I was doing it but I have stopped.  Trying to get myself motivated to get into the pool.  Seems like I have been saying this for over a year so I need to **** or get off the pot.  Good seeing you last night.

Donna
Laureen S.
on 3/22/12 3:46 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Jackie,

I also like the idea of an Issue today topic?  Though I think it needs to be as related to WLS needs. . .  what do you think?

Motivated and friendly ideas for "Successing"!!!

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Jackie Fisher
on 3/22/12 4:55 am - PA
Absolutely!

I am pretty sure there is something related to WLS that is boggling someone's mind each day.. I know I have quite a few if someone else doesn't post!!

I think we are on a good track here and hopefully this will bring back some friendly faces that may have been lost along the way!!
"Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present."

-Jackie

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views